MTB Race Entry Fees....

Guest silver de lange

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

The commentary is terrible and the short recaps are pretty poor too. Such amazing tracks and proper DH trails but poor media. Supported by Spar - so weird. I bet its cheaper to do the Swiss version than our local one, even if you fly there and stay in an air bnb. Anyone done the maths?

commentator sounds like he is doing the voice over in a toilet

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, Dustbug said:

Going back on an earlier bleat re Munga fees etc, everything is relative compare Sani2C team entry R18700 for 3 days reheated food and tents basic option +/- 1000 riders in total income R9,350,000 without sponsors input etc.. distance total 3 day 240kms cost R38.95 per Km

Munga Entry R28900 entrants +/- 150 total income R4,335,000 without sponsors input etc.. total distance 1100kms mostly proper accomodation cooked meals etc,  4 x the number of support stations required. Cost R26.27 / Km munga is effectively 30% cheaper than Sani / Km

Some races are vastly overpriced agreed that why I dont do them, others have a vast overhead, one has to be prepared to pay a reasonable fee  if you want to engage in that style of riding, Im not a racer but consider cost against return when considering an event.

Not really comparing Apples with Apples though - Sani is mostly single track that is purpose built. Local communities are paid to man feed stops and cater the overnight stops, which, when I last did it, were exceptional food. Local Schools and community groups are financially supported as well. 

Munga, which is an awesome concept imo, is on existing roads / tracks and requires far less infrastructure than Sani 

3 hours ago, dave303e said:

definitely.

Either way all of these events are pointless- You cannot be the fittest person on earth unless you are doing sub par pull ups, sickeningly bad deadlifts and running around stadiums really slow. This after spending way to much on a gym fee because of royalties.... #Angryfit

Reminds me of a conversation i overhear between my wife and her mate a few weeks ago

"Is Jason coming to the birthday party?"

"No he's not he's doing some upset fit thing"

3 hours ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

I do not understand how they can justify R28 900 for 5 days and 1000km of unsupported cycling. If they manage to find 150 people, that sounds like R4.3 million for what?

Furthermore, if you really want to ride something life changing, why not try the Transcontinental, this year for GBP350, 12 countries, 16 days to complete 4400km and 47km of climbing. 

The Munga unsupported? There are 10 water points and 5 race villages. They provide riders with rooms, beds, meals at any time of the day. Medical backup with paramedics spread out across the route. It's a fully supported race. A fully supported race across 1,100km. Have a think about what that means in terms of logistics and costs. Do you imagine that a hotel that serves as one of the race villages is free to the race organizers? Or a luxury lodge in the Tankwa is free?

The TCR is an unsupported race that will cost most riders about R50k to do. The GBP350 cost of entry is insignificant in the overall cost that each rider pays to do this race.

3 minutes ago, SSCC said:

The Munga unsupported? There are 10 water points and 5 race villages. They provide riders with rooms, beds, meals at any time of the day. Medical backup with paramedics spread out across the route. It's a fully supported race. A fully supported race across 1,100km. Have a think about what that means in terms of logistics and costs. Do you imagine that a hotel that serves as one of the race villages is free to the race organizers? Or a luxury lodge in the Tankwa is free?

The TCR is an unsupported race that will cost most riders about R50k to do. The GBP350 cost of entry is insignificant in the overall cost that each rider pays to do this race.

Yeah.... Riding 200km per day being waited on hand and foot every 100-140km does not make it 'the toughest race in the world'... Their marketing blurb is nuts.

For those at the back end of the field it's a very achievable challenge, but nowhere near close to the toughest race in Africa, never mind the world.

It's expensive because it's made less tough by providing all the luxury.

Which is the rub.... How much are you willing to sacrifice at these races to keep the prices down?

Will the fields actually be bigger if cheaper or will those who can afford the time to train and the race not pitch if they aren't getting all the hullaballoo?

40 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Yeah.... Riding 200km per day being waited on hand and foot every 100-140km does not make it 'the toughest race in the world'... Their marketing blurb is nuts.

For those at the back end of the field it's a very achievable challenge, but nowhere near close to the toughest race in Africa, never mind the world.

It's expensive because it's made less tough by providing all the luxury.

Which is the rub.... How much are you willing to sacrifice at these races to keep the prices down?

Will the fields actually be bigger if cheaper or will those who can afford the time to train and the race not pitch if they aren't getting all the hullaballoo?

And here is the real question

45 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Agreed. The worlds toughest race tag line is complete bullocks.

I would however say it's possibly, maybe, the toughest 3 day mountain bike event in the world. But that's not a good tag line. 

6 minutes ago, SSCC said:

Agreed. The worlds toughest race tag line is complete bullocks.

I would however say it's possibly, maybe, the toughest 3 day mountain bike event in the world. But that's not a good tag line. 

I reckon it's harder to get to Rhodes in 3 days than ride Munga in 3 days. And definitely tougher.

It's a ridiculous label for something that takes pride in offering luxury along the way

27 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I reckon it's harder to get to Rhodes in 3 days than ride Munga in 3 days. And definitely tougher.

It's a ridiculous label for something that takes pride in offering luxury along the way

Maybe. I think you would have to have done both to really have an informed opinion.

On average over all 7 years you would have to be in the top 10 to go sub 3 in the Munga. The Munga has a deeper stronger field than the RTR so it's hard to know. We are just speculating. Mike W would know as he is maybe the only person to go sub 3 in both.

12 hours ago, SSCC said:

Maybe. I think you would have to have done both to really have an informed opinion.

On average over all 7 years you would have to be in the top 10 to go sub 3 in the Munga. The Munga has a deeper stronger field than the RTR so it's hard to know. We are just speculating. Mike W would know as he is maybe the only person to go sub 3 in both.

Speculation but finish Munga and run sub 17min at your local parkrun. Once you have done both let us know which was harder to achieve...

20 hours ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

I do not understand how they can justify R28 900 for 5 days and 1000km of unsupported cycling. If they manage to find 150 people, that sounds like R4.3 million for what?

Furthermore, if you really want to ride something life changing, why not try the Transcontinental, this year for GBP350, 12 countries, 16 days to complete 4400km and 47km of climbing. 

sometimes the steep entry fee is part of the attraction. It's like perfume where production is silly like 5% of the sticker price. You pay this huge entry, so you're fully commited and it becomes a big focus for a good 6 months. same for Epic, same (in general) for Ironman.

now if I really wanted to commit to a long mtb experience like Munga, the R29k entry fee is hard to justify. (I will pay about a 40% for a weeklong expedition adventure race that most Munga people will think is silly expensive too, but that's another story).

so what else is comparable within our borders.... this looks like a worthy option in my mind?

image.png.162b201fa51fadf652a412b9127a42a3.png

So then the question needs to be asked ? What makes events within our borders so much pricier than outside our borders ?

It cant be all profit/priced for status

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

sometimes the steep entry fee is part of the attraction. It's like perfume where production is silly like 5% of the sticker price. You pay this huge entry, so you're fully commited and it becomes a big focus for a good 6 months. same for Epic, same (in general) for Ironman.

now if I really wanted to commit to a long mtb experience like Munga, the R29k entry fee is hard to justify. (I will pay about a 40% for a weeklong expedition adventure race that most Munga people will think is silly expensive too, but that's another story).

so what else is comparable within our borders.... this looks like a worthy option in my mind?

image.png.162b201fa51fadf652a412b9127a42a3.png

^^^^ Entry fees are a great way to keep the rifraf away