Die Burger MTB 2014

Rydogg

Man you guys are all pro's! Im doing my first 30km. Not even sure what to expect... Single-track? It looks pretty flat luckily. But looking forward to it though.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh cr*p so that means for my first MTB race a M start for 42km is not great at all.

Kind of like starting The Argus in the open groups and wanting to do under 4 hours.

You can do it. Last year I started in the last group of the 42km and rode a 2;26. The tag out system worked lekker last year. If you can climb you will make up ground at the last hill. Good luck.

Man you guys are all pro's! Im doing my first 30km. Not even sure what to expect... Single-track? It looks pretty flat luckily. But looking forward to it though.

At least you are doing it. Have fun.

So it can be done. Just a lot of hurt on the hills.

Just not sure what to expect or how to tackle the hills in terms of my current strength. Had a bad fall at Tokai at speed and took my knee out.

No excuse, but not sure if I should just go all out and suffer through any pain or if I should take it easier. What to base a time on? Have ridden to the mast and done Noordhoek peak but that's the longest on MTB so far.

Just not sure what to expect or how to tackle the hills in terms of my current strength. Had a bad fall at Tokai at speed and took my knee out.

No excuse, but not sure if I should just go all out and suffer through any pain or if I should take it easier. What to base a time on? Have ridden to the mast and done Noordhoek peak but that's the longest on MTB so far.

Take the first climb to the top of Helshoogte at a slow pace. Warm your knee up properly. Then give it horns from the split at the 42/60km mark.

Will be my first long race in a couple of years, so in retrospect not sure if it was the wisest decision to select this one to get me into the longer distances again...

... Think it's time to swallow a couple cups of cement :whistling:

So - only one start group for the 75km?

I can't remember how it was last year - was there any kind of seeding?

Or first to load - first to start?

No idea will be my first Burger MTB ever hard to believe but true. Yes, one start group for 75km but Based on the Argus MTB i reckon first come, first serve, however rest assured the "Pros" will push in from the front.

I see the route for the 75km & 60km has changed.. "The route is identical up until just after the famous Uitkyk Bushtunnel at 26km. After the Bushtunnel the route is completely redesigned to take in the new features of the Knorhoek Valley trail system.

A new trail (never been ridden) will take riders to meet up with the Uitkyk view trail before connecting to the Ho Chi Minh trail on Muratie via Jakhalskloof. We only do the upper Ho Chi Minh and then traverse to Delheim via the Silvertree trail.

After the Delheim waterpoint riders take the Dozer trail to Muratie, cutting out the nasty little hill after the waterpoint.

The climb up Muratie is the same as last year except for the well settled Elevator trail meaning more contouring singletrack climbs instead of the steep jeep track of last year.

The next change occurs at 53km where the route changes to incorporate Simonsig Estate as well as the new Nooitgedacht Village development. This is also a new waterpoint location.

On Simonsig riders will ride straight through the winery while at Nooitgedacht we have added new singletrack.

A major diversion occurs at Nooitgedacht as the riders now head towards L’Avenir Estate after which they will join the 42km at Strydom Vineyards.

We are also moving the final Waterpoint location from the Welgevonden entrance road to Weltevreden Estate, a stunning new location for the event.

These changes are very exciting for us as we are including 4 new properties into the route as well as new singletrack trails"

Its die burger not the world champs. I would ride within myself so that don't end up doing damage.

So I won't be the object of uncontrolled giggling from the slithering lycra boys if I wear knee pads? :whistling:

So I won't be the object of uncontrolled giggling from the slithering lycra boys if I wear knee pads? :whistling:

especially when you blow by them on the flats they call technical descents :P

You're not the only one doing your first, so you're in good company. Also looking forward to the experience.

Don't know what races they use for seeding, but apparently previous Burger races don't count much! Managed a sub 3 for the 60km for the last 2 years (12th in 2012) and got dropped from B to C? Any one know what races they use to do the seeding?

Don't know what races they use for seeding, but apparently previous Burger races don't count much! Managed a sub 3 for the 60km for the last 2 years (12th in 2012) and got dropped from B to C? Any one know what races they use to do the seeding?

they did say if you felt you needed to be seeded higher then you should email them