Die Burger MTB 2014

Rydogg

This was my first 30km. I had a tuff time but I loved every moment. I can't stop talking about how I loved it. I surely understand that for faster leaner and fitter guys slowing down behind slower,fatter unfitter rides is a frustration. I think a good rule will be to stick to the keep left pass right rule. That what I try to do. And slower riders should realise that they should when save and as soon as possible move aside for the faster guys. That being said the greatest thing about the race was the camaraderie. On the 30km most people helped each other out and also engouraged each other.

Even after the race when I got home on Durbanville, I got into a conversation with a total stranger that saw me still a bit muddy in cycling clothes asking if I did the burger. We ended up having a nice chat.

One of the best things I did for myself was buying a MTB after 14 years of not riding. It changed allot, but the vibe got better. That is why we ride? Friendship! Fun! Adventure!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so this is what you guys are talking about when you say "held up on the single track"

You should have seen the congestion - no way you could ride, just too many people all going at snails pace.

Frustrating, but still not too bad considering how many people were on the trails at the same time.

And seeing that I started in E, most, if not all, were guys with "better seeding start groups"

See, this is where the query arises about the seeding system (if any) that was used.

The seeding system deserves every piece of criticism that is going it's way. However even with a perfect seeding system you are still going to have the same problems, if you have a 100s or 1000 riders on a piece of tricky singletrack, it really only takes 1 or 2 people messing up and voila you have a long queue....

And the weaker riders of the longer distances will always get in the way of the stronger riders of the shorter distances in the first part of the race (and visa versa near the end of the race), no seeding system is going to fix that.

Edited by Skubarra

Milky, you should have taken a pic on the other side of that ravine entering the ST (your first pic at Hels). That whole section (except for that last bit in the pic, over the culvert and up to the armco) was completely rideable (I know, I rode it :ph34r: ), but there was a whole long line of people waiting for the walkers to exit, so that you could enter it. And seeing that I started in E, most, if not all, were guys with "better seeding start groups"

See, this is where the query arises about the seeding system (if any) that was used.

I wouldn't be surprised if guys with Full amarider membership got preferential seeding too.

I take my hat off to all you guys who stuck it out, I most likely would've bitten off all my nails & probably do a Kevin Evans. I read somewhere that some okes didn't wait in the queue to cross the bridge at the end, they just crossed the road.

Top 10 for 60km riders who actually tagged at the CP:

Rank Name Surname Time 1 Tim Wilkins 02:59 2 Zayin Krige 03:09 3 Johan Fourie 03:14 4 Schalk Fourie 03:15 5 Andrew Le Roux 03:17 6 Mathew Barrow 03:17 7 Robert Kitching 03:17 8 Chris De Villiers 03:18 9 Dale Kuys Graeme 03:19 10 Thembisile Shaun Mtintsilana 03:20

Edited by rpedro

Top 10 for 60km riders who actually tagged at the CP:

Rank Name Surname Race Cat MF Age Checkpoint Time Finish Time Time 1 Tim Wilkins E EM M 19 10:42 11:39 02:59 2 Zayin Krige C SV M 35 10:25 11:29 03:09 3 Johan Fourie C SV M 34 10:30 11:34 03:14 4 Schalk Fourie C SV M 30 10:30 11:35 03:15 5 Andrew Le Roux C EM M 29 10:30 11:37 03:17 6 Mathew Barrow D EM M 23 10:43 11:47 03:17 7 Robert Kitching D VM M 41 10:40 11:47 03:17 8 Chris De Villiers E VM M 44 10:54 11:58 03:18 9 Dale Kuys Graeme D EM M 29 10:42 11:49 03:19 10 Thembisile Shaun Mtintsilana B EM M 25 10:24 11:30 03:20

that thing is fubard tho

theres no way I was 2nd fastest on the day thru CP1. And its missing a lot of the top finishers

The CP on the 60Km route was crap! Had a marshall standing in front of it so you barely saw it and he didn't even point out the CP! I only saw it because of the guys ahead of me slowing to single file...

First time doing the 60km, was this route the same as previous years?

i didnt do 2013, but it was about 75% the same as 2012

Top 10 for 60km riders who actually tagged at the CP: Rank Name Surname Time 1 Tim Wilkins 02:59 2 Zayin Krige 03:09 3 Johan Fourie 03:14 4 Schalk Fourie 03:15 5 Andrew Le Roux 03:17 6 Mathew Barrow 03:17 7 Robert Kitching 03:17 8 Chris De Villiers 03:18 9 Dale Kuys Graeme 03:19 10 Thembisile Shaun Mtintsilana 03:20

My finish time is 03:04:27... never saw a checkpoint where I had to tag. Only tagged at start then at finish :mellow:

The riders just in front or just behind me also doesn't appear on this checkpoint list.

Would be interesting to see who of the 75km riders tagged at CP1 + CP2 :-)
there were 2 checkpoints??

there were 2 checkpoints??

On the 60 km route we had CP at the start about halfway and at the end.

On the 60 km route we had CP at the start about halfway and at the end.
yep that's all I saw on the 75km as well & looking at the Cp2 none of the top finishers tagged there.