DH World Cup #4 - Leogang

Stretch

Rated as a trail/am and enduro rim! !!

I do rate his skill on shifting weight had a bit to do with it :) but £egend ride and skill!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DT swiss site doesn't indicate that wheel is TLR. Might be an oversight in the product listing, but i doubt ppl will rush out and buy it if the rubber blows off 1 min into a run.

So the rim is plenty strong, but why did the tyre blow off the rim so easily?

Because he got a flat. And go balls out with a flat tyre down Leogang and the tyre will try to bail.

Edit: or did it blow off spectacularly? Cant remember now.

Edited by vdLRSA

Because he got a flat. And go balls out with a flat tyre down Leogang and the tyre will try to bail.

I think he meant why did it unseat the bead so easily to result in a flat.

i dont think that rim is UST compliant, or at least TLR (tubeless ready). But that thought it based on the lack of info from the DT swiss site. I didn't trawl the rest of the internet to verify. It's enduro rim. seems gwin was going for weight saving over the EX500, which is DT Swiss' dedicate DH rim.

DT swiss site doesn't indicate that wheel is TLR. Might be an oversight in the product listing, but i doubt ppl will rush out and buy it if the rubber blows off 1 min into a run.

the rubber blew off in 1 min,,,,,,,did you miss the abuse it took for the rest of the ride,i must say i wasnt thinking about the rubber other than rock /puncture/flat,,,now if those were AMERICIAN CLASSICS :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: dips runs off back to the naughty boy corner

Foldable tyres normally do, once they collapse under pressure there is not much supporting them.

When the whole UST thing got launched years back, you would have been very hard pressed to have found a non UST tyre, they were very strict about the fact that the bead and tyre had to be approved.

Foldable tyres normally do, once they collapse under pressure there is not much supporting them.

When the whole UST thing got launched years back, you would have been very hard pressed to have found a non UST tyre, they were very strict about the fact that the bead and tyre had to be approved.

Wasn't it MAXXIS that owns the "UST" brand / trademark? I heard somewhere that tires that want to be certified as UST need to go to them for testing and approval before using that little "UST" logo. Which is also why there are manufacturers with their own interpretation of the standard so they don't have to pay the licensing fee - TLR for Schwalbe, etc etc.

Wasn't it MAXXIS that owns the "UST" brand / trademark? I heard somewhere that tires that want to be certified as UST need to go to them for testing and approval before using that little "UST" logo. Which is also why there are manufacturers with their own interpretation of the standard so they don't have to pay the licensing fee - TLR for Schwalbe, etc etc.

It was or rather is a Mavic design.

Hell NO ... even Greg says - if DH goes Olympic it will KILL the discipline. Think of the logistics ... Its too much of an issue ...

If DBN was to hold the Olympics they would have to use PMB (100km away) and its not the best track even in my own right as we dont have the elevation ... then - think of the other venues we have had for olymics - London = Fort Bill (like 600km away) ..... China ... (who knows) ..... Greece (you need to go to the alps) ... Sydney = Carins .....

So the new ones -

Next is Rio = ???

Then Tokyo = ???

So for XCO thats easy but for DH - to produce a world level DH - is F-ing hard .... so is just not worth it

Rio is easy

Favelas!!! Look at what redbull have done with their urban downhills. Imagine how many people would line that course! It would be epic.

There are several sports that have out of town venues i.e rowing and sailing are often 30-80km away if the venue is right. I know rowing in Barcelona was 80km away and in Beijing 50km. Even London was 25km away from main village. Enough time in traffic that they set up a separate mini village for rowing/canoing/kayaking

Rio is easy

Favelas!!! Look at what redbull have done with their urban downhills. Imagine how many people would line that course! It would be epic.

There are several sports that have out of town venues i.e rowing and sailing are often 30-80km away if the venue is right. I know rowing in Barcelona was 80km away and in Beijing 50km. Even London was 25km away from main village. Enough time in traffic that they set up a separate mini village for rowing/canoing/kayaking

Yeah fair enough - but in many instances the logistics are too much for many events ... Under the Rules of the UCI an Urban Downhill would NEVER be allowed as an olympic course.

Yeah fair enough - but in many instances the logistics are too much for many events ... Under the Rules of the UCI an Urban Downhill would NEVER be allowed as an olympic course.

Nige maybe you can enlighten me here, why didn't Greg have a ZA sleeve?

Afaik each countries national champ gets that honour.

Greg is not the current SA champ. Thus no ZA flag on his sleeve.