nathrix

152 members have voted

1. 1. Riding the ATTAKWAS EXTREME MTB 2015? (just out of interest)

• NO, won't be able to enter :(
    • Will be riding it on a htail with gears 26"
    • Will be riding it on a htail with gears 27.5"
    • Will be riding it on a htail with gears 29"
    • Will be riding it on a dual suspension with gears 26"
    • Will be riding it on a dual suspension with gears 27.5"
    • Will be riding it on a dual suspension with gears 29"
    • Will be riding it on a SS Rigid!
    • Will be riding it on a FATBIKE with gears!
    • Will be riding it on a FATBIKE SS!!!!

Missed cut off with 30 seconds. But finished.

Something went wrong on about 75km The last stretch after that was tough.

Met a hubber :thumbup: Smurfy nice to put a face to the name :)

And me  :ph34r:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after a long day my wife and I made it. Rode with her the whole time and really enjoyed it. Stressing at times whether we would make the cut-off. Very proud of her for digging deep and pulling through. I actually (luckily) felt good throughout. I think we were very lucky regarding the weather on the day. Time 10h44min. [emoji3] really enjoyed it and will definitely be back.

Rode with great people along the way!

Congrats to all.

Mads, that is a long time in the saddle.

I sat at Atta the one year and I was determined to stay there till all the back-markers came in .

I saw the majority of the field coming in around the last hour and I saw many not making the cutoff.

I saw the front end of the field starting out slow and then blowing apart and I saw how broken the guys in the top 50 looked and how they felt.

They are as much finishers and they achieved as much of a great achievement as those who did not make the cut-off .

Girl you were a champ. The Daisies always stop and chat. See you at the next one. Was having a shower when I heard you come in. Well done on completing the Atta. We left an hour later. The last guy came in on 12 hours. His 3rd attempt. pity he wont get a medal. He weighs around the 130kg`s and the whole family and him included was very emotional. That to me is the ultimate cyclist, never give up.

I must say I was a bit stressed before the race for my first Attakwas. I started with a easy pace with all the advice I received from other friends that's done this race before. Myself and 2 friends started together in the D batch and after about 3km's they were starting to get away from me, but I took it easy just to make it for myself easy (it was still a long day ahead of us) As I reached WP1, I just had a glimpse as they was going off again and by the time I reached WP2 it looked already like they were struggling and just after WP2 I dropped them and continued with a easy pace knowing that the toughest part is about to start and caught up with another friend that started in the B batch.  I felt great right through the race, got off the bike and walked when I saw lots of people walking and all went really well.  With about 20km's to go I still had some fuel left in the tank and decided to open up when a guy on a Libra Brokers kit and Santa Cruz pedaled past me, looked at me and said "come lets moer this thing" and eventually came in about 20-30min earlier on the people I overtook on that section (Don't know who he is but thanks for that last bit of oempff). Unfortunately my 2 friends I started with didn't make the cutoff time and came in around 11:16. But I must say what a awesome race, well stocked WP's, friendly faces, ice cold towels, cleaning glasses and guys just trying to make you feel good. I cant wait for next year again. Congratulations to everyone that finished.

Edited by Dom the Don

well done Dom

I came in just over 7 hours, had a quick dip in the river and got my cooler box,

Stayed there till they started breaking the race village up,

Saw all the back makers coming in, respect for you guys.

All you have to do is finish it no matte the time, don't give up just keep on riding,

Was so lekker to see those okes at the back coming in and the joy on their faces

Taito,, i think we might have been together when that oke came of at the drop off,, was it the slightly older guy who landed on his knee?

I have never heard such a loud impact of flesh onto solid rock,,,,jissie he must have had a lot of pain.

Then i saw him cycling onward up to the gate after Bonnievale and he said his knee was ok.

Lots of respect for this guy he has balls of tungsten

Edited by tunariaan

Thanks Riaan, Totally agree never give up, keep going and well done once again, 7 hours with a Singlespeed... in the Attakwas... RESPECT!!!

i manage to do that in a training ride but you take lots of power out of your legs for later in the race, very hard though.

I once saw a video clip and even the pro's where running up there with their bikes.

The nice thing about ss is no pro clean and lots of maintenance money for services ect...lol,, ready to roll again.

Right im of to the vet my old Rottweiler is not well at all today

Wish us lots of luck and recovery please

Got convinced (closer to bullied) to enter next years Atta.Think I better start training now, listening to you guys.

Absolutely wonderful Wannabe. That means I have a year to tell you horror stories about this race.

:D

Seriously considering my 4th next year. Would be my 1st on a 29er, so should be a bit more manageable. 

Seriously considering my 4th next year. Would be my 1st on a 29er, so should be a bit more manageable. 

I have done this event of a few different bikes:

2010 - 135km - GT Zaskar 26" hardtail 3x9

2011 - 121km - OnOne Scandal 29er hardtail 2x9

2014 - 121km - Morewood Shova 26" 2x10

2015 - 121km - Intense 5.5 26" 1x10 

My highest average speed was in 2010, but I was broken afterwards.  With the last two which I did on trail bikes I felt a lot better when I got to the finish, but the trail bikes climb a bit slower for obvious reasons.

From a bike perspective, this year's edition was the most enjoyable for me.  I really enjoyed the descents, but I had to work hard on the climbs to get the 150mm travel bike up there.