To Camelbak or Not to Camelbak

CraigCCW

Riding single track in the bush results in donkie drol on waterbottles

Be my guest

Never know,but with a bit of luck you might even encounter the human kind.

Juis.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding single track in the bush results in donkie drol on waterbottles 

Be my guest

Never know,but with a bit of luck you might even encounter the human kind.

Exactly why I opted to use a backpack with bladder again. Tired of dodging animal and human excrement

A Henty is the best way to not have a pack, have a sweat free back, carry what you need, have up to 3l of fluid, have it locked down firmly and not having your ride look like you're going on a bike packing tour. Looks like it might be a pack but feels like you're wearing a hip pack with nothing on your back and super comfy. 

stw-2018-08-21-IMG_0276.jpg

Things I love about my camelbak:

I am the guy who has a multitool, tube, plugs, zip ties, extra sealant, chain lube, chain link, chamois cream, spare valve, bombs and valve, small hand pump.

I generally cruise through most waterpoints. I don't like to stop unless I need the rest and this gives me enough water to keep going for longer so that when I need to stop for water I al also ready ro take a short break.

I love being able to take a pull of electrolyte drink without breaking my rhythm to get the bottle out. Little sips often and the occasional long drink on a downhill without sacrificing any speed or control.

So basically a super moon bag..?

What I was thinking exactly, checking the reviews though they sound like a great option.

Soon cell phones on the belt and a leatherman on the other side will be OK

Nothing wrong with that. I bought a skateboard helmet at Game and used cable ties to fix a lekker plaas hoed onto it. Looks kief and keeps the sun out of my eyes and ears.

Nothing wrong with that. I bought a skateboard helmet at Game and used cable ties to fix a lekker plaas hoed onto it. Looks kief and keeps the sun out of my eyes and ears.

As long as you're happy in your corner it's all good :)

Pro's and Cons

Pro - You can carry much more water 

Con - It does not look cool

Pro - its much cleaner than bottle

Con- It does not look cool

Pro - You can carry additional tools and spares

Con- It does not look cool

Uhhh, ja, because riding one's bike has become a fashion statement!?!

One thing I have noticed lately, is that all the so called cycling fashion police obviously never ride, as the trails are chockers with folks riding their "functional" bikes, not their "fashionable" bikes, replete with short socks, mismatched kit and all the excesses that is needed to make a  cycle fun.

I guess this means all the "fashionistas" are busy posing at coffee shops with the Uber-cool kit and bikes, and calf length socks, to go with their hipster hair and glasses.

Nes ek gedink het.

I reckon all the pansies can leave cycling to the genuine folk.

A Henty is the best way to not have a pack, have a sweat free back, carry what you need, have up to 3l of fluid, have it locked down firmly and not having your ride look like you're going on a bike packing tour. Looks like it might be a pack but feels like you're wearing a hip pack with nothing on your back and super comfy. 

stw-2018-08-21-IMG_0276.jpg

Ha, ha. So you got one then? I'm guessing you were the guy who was checking out mine a while back. 

I can +1 on these things. Best bit of kit that I've bought in about 5 years. It is really well made with great attention to detail and despite how it looks you don't even feel the straps because they are light weight mesh. The difference between this and a camelbak pack is night and day.

I've got a hip pack that carries a bottle for shorter rides and that keeps a lot of the basic tools that you need as well. I've had the bigger fanny packs like the Camelbak and found they bounce about a bit too much and the more you put in them then the more they grow outwards increasing the movement. The new Osprey ones seems quite good as it wraps more about the hips. 

If anyone is looking for a new pack or an alternative to a standard Camelbak then this should be top of the list. Only thing is it obviously can't have a back protector integrated. 

Ha, ha. So you got one then? I'm guessing you were the guy who was checking out mine a while back.

I can +1 on these things. Best bit of kit that I've bought in about 5 years. It is really well made with great attention to detail and despite how it looks you don't even feel the straps because they are light weight mesh. The difference between this and a camelbak pack is night and day.

I've got a hip pack that carries a bottle for shorter rides and that keeps a lot of the basic tools that you need as well. I've had the bigger fanny packs like the Camelbak and found they bounce about a bit too much and the more you put in them then the more they grow outwards increasing the movement. The new Osprey ones seems quite good as it wraps more about the hips.

If anyone is looking for a new pack or an alternative to a standard Camelbak then this should be top of the list. Only thing is it obviously can't have a back protector integrated.

They should be able to integrate the back protector. With the K.U.D.U the pack can unzip from the back protector and you can then only wear that if you want. Still has some pockets to carry stuff but you then loose pretty much the whole pack.

Edit: Picture

post-25481-0-97988400-1565597631_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Pieter1