• Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it was. Pity it was so long ago...

Having said that, I've tried very hard to NOT grow up...

Like most of us you are doing really well in that regard.

I noticed a few ships in the middle of no-where, and only later realises it was the Cape Town Film Studios between the airport and Somerset West.

I guess this clip belongs in the TV show thread, but it's cool to see something made locally (even though their main location is in the Caribbean).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICxxHmKmVcE

On the above clip, pause at 1:16, and you'll see the cars travelling along the N2, with the mountains in the background near Somerset Wwest and GB.

Nice to see some international stuff being shot locally.

Interesting though is the planned release in 2015 of Mad Max

Edited by geraldm24

• 2 weeks later...

My, my, my...

What superb movie-making

Haunting, intense, drama

And what a performance by Mark Ruffalo - did not expect that!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

contrary to my dislike of steve carrell...I'm gonna give this is a bash...its just popping up far too much in pop culture for me to ignore it

.and related...I watched The imposter the other night and really enjoyed it

http://kakavfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/imposter.jpg

I will recommend to anyone who is interested in truly remarkable film-craft and a genuine ability to drag the very best out of any actors repertoire, to watch, and re-watch almost any of the Coen Brothers movies.

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

No Country for Old Men

A Serious Man (Jewish angst at it's finest)

True Grit (along with Unforgiven, a classic of the genre)

And a movie which has very recently played on MNet.........Burn After Reading. Absolutely brilliant performances from Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt, George Clooney and the incomparable John Malkovitch.

If you have not seen this movie, I urge you to do so.

I'm actually looking forward to it. Tom Hardy has shown himself to be a damn good actor (the drop, locke, batman as Bane etc) and as much as I don't like theron, she's not that bad.

Great performances in Monster, North Country and The Cider house Rules, though. The girl can act.

Great performances in Monster, North Country and The Cider house Rules, though. The girl can act.

She wasn't too bad in The devils advocate :whistling:

She wasn't too bad in The devils advocate :whistling:

Ja, even under all the scars and bruises she looked fanfrikkentastic  :w00t:

I will recommend to anyone who is interested in truly remarkable film-craft and a genuine ability to drag the very best out of any actors repertoire, to watch, and re-watch almost any of the Coen Brothers movies.

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

No Country for Old Men

A Serious Man (Jewish angst at it's finest)

True Grit (along with Unforgiven, a classic of the genre)

And a movie which has very recently played on MNet.........Burn After Reading. Absolutely brilliant performances from Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt, George Clooney and the incomparable John Malkovitch.

If you have not seen this movie, I urge you to do so.

Seen most of these (not Lebowski or Serious Man) and ja, totally agree, brilliant films..

Seen most of these (not Lebowski or Serious Man) and ja, totally agree, brilliant films..

yikes...go see lebowski right now!

You are in for a treat with A Serious Man. Michael Stuhlbarg is phenomenal in this movie. He plays a man caught between his respect for his faith and his frustrations with the absurd judgements he is on the receiving end of.

There are shades of Larry David's comedic genius throughout this movie, although he isn't credited.

OK, so two further recommendations:

One of my favourite movies is "The Talented Mr Ripley" Jude Law and Matt Damon play off each other here in a movie that is tense and brittle from start to finish. But best of all is a young Philip Seymour Hoffman. He colours his character with such a repulsive, reptilian cast, that you are simultaneously fascinated and repelled. Absolutely superb.

The other is "Sleuth". A remade movie with only two actors, but what fantastic actors, in Michael Caine and Jude Law. These two play off each other so well that you are engrossed from minute one. Dialogue driven for the most part, and with twists and turns that make it, IMHO, a must-watch movie.

yikes...go see lebowski right now!

I saw it recently because of the recommendation earlier in the thread. To be honest I found it boring and highly over rated.