• Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Ready Player One (2018). 8/10. 

Loads of fun. Much better than I thought it would be after all the negative comments and feedback. Typical Spielberg adventure romp set in a game world with an 80s soundtrack. Pity they couldn't bring everything in the book to screen but nevertheless I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I also enjoyed it. Very refreshing. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're on your own there dude...

Tom cruise has been in 2 good movies where he actually contributed to the movie in a positive way... Eyes wide shut and magnolia

Hell I thought he wasn't bad in Rock of Ages.

Black Panther..... started watching it last night. I managed to stay seated for the first 10 minutes. Then I had other more important things to take care of. (Dishes, laundry, clean the kitchen, polish my shoes etc)

Based on the first few minutes, I am not sure what all the fuss was about. I doubt that I will have the mental strength to try and watch it again. 

Black Panther..... started watching it last night. I managed to stay seated for the first 10 minutes. Then I had other more important things to take care of. (Dishes, laundry, clean the kitchen, polish my shoes etc)

Based on the first few minutes, I am not sure what all the fuss was about. I doubt that I will have the mental strength to try and watch it again. 

It's great ITO understanding the marvel universe better. But as a movie....I'm not overly ecstatic, and not sure why it rated so high on IMDB...

Most of the latest superhero movies have become so over the top that I dont find them entertaining anymore.

The next always needs to out do the previous, and they have become so stacked and packed with characters, and even smooshing of character groups together, that the plots lines have become so diluted. 

It's OK'ish (mostly because I understand some of the language), just completed it over two nights with the lighty...it's like Patch rightly points out too much of too much. That being said, the children love it, lots of stuff happening, blowing up and fighting rhino's.

It's OK'ish (mostly because I understand some of the language), just completed it over two nights with the lighty...it's like Patch rightly points out too much of too much. That being said, the children love it, lots of stuff happening, blowing up and fighting rhino's.

Yeah we sat down to watch it with the kids last night. I just couldn't do it. Usually if a movie hasn't grabbed me within the first 15 minutes, I call it and move on. Kids ended up watching it on their PC in the bedroom and mom and I watched some more GOT. (We are nearing the end of S07 now.... not sure what we are going to do afterwards....)

I kind of liked the Xhosa accents and the Saffa baddie in the first half  ^_^

But yes, superhero movies are a dime a dozen this year. But also there weren't many better alternatives (in my biased opinion).

But yes, superhero movies are a dime a dozen this year. But also there weren't many better alternatives (in my biased opinion).

It really does seem that the best non-superhero movies nowadays come from smaller or independent studios. 

The larger studios are primarily concerned with making blockbuster franchises out of every possible property they own. 

He (Andy Serkis) stole the show (well, for me anyway)

Yeah we sat down to watch it with the kids last night. I just couldn't do it. Usually if a movie hasn't grabbed me within the first 15 minutes, I call it and move on. Kids ended up watching it on their PC in the bedroom and mom and I watched some more GOT. (We are nearing the end of S07 now.... not sure what we are going to do afterwards....)

Not a movie, but on Netflix there's a series called Money Heist (Casse de Pappel). It Spanish with English subtitles.

It's brilliant, some seriously fine acting and a killer story with lots of sub plots. Should keep you busy till you find something else. 

A Quiet Place (2018) 8/10. A great example of how good writing, directing and casting can overcome the handicap of a small budget. Okay, it helps that Krasinski is married to Emily Blunt so he had a good lead actress from the start. But this should get him noticed as a danged good director.

It's not mental strength or first 15 minutes 'grab' protocol.

Maybe you're just getting too old for that kind of movie experience?