• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

So now that I've watched most of the movies in current and circulation, I'm starting the mine the movies from my childhood. It's an interesting experience. Sometimes they really don't measure up...

Watching 'Breaking Away' right now, a cycling movie (well, loosely), and it's turning out to be quite good.

Anyone else got recommendations from the 70s and 80s?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night's movie - Escape Plan (channel 103 - load shedding prevented me from seeing the start on channel 101) was one of the better movies I've seen on a Sunday night, in a long time. Wouldn't buy the DVD/BD but I did enjoy watching it.

C'mon man....popping rivets with heat...building and using a sextant and then finding the exact location off the coast of Morocco based purely on a latitude and a big thumb suck....I can go on and on and on.....but....it kept my attention somewhat...so I can't really complain Edited by Stretch

C'mon man....popping rivets with heat...building and using a sextant and then finding the exact location off the coast of Morocco based purely on a latitude and a big thumb suck....I can go on and on and on.....but....it kept my attention somewhat...so I can't really complain

Most movies are above reality, otherwise many would find them boring.

For the past few weeks and longer I have quickly lost interest in the Sunday movie - the fact that I sat through this is the reason for my comment.

Most movies are above reality, otherwise many would find them boring.

For the past few weeks and longer I have quickly lost interest in the Sunday movie - the fact that I sat through this is the reason for my comment.

Yeah I commented a while back how the Sunday movie used to be a big family affair..now it's just tripe....

Ja..I was being a bit facetious..but..I like a fair amount of reality....I can't stand it when a director assumes his or her audience is stupid..or..just oversees something

So now that I've watched most of the movies in current and circulation, I'm starting the mine the movies from my childhood. It's an interesting experience. Sometimes they really don't measure up...

Watching 'Breaking Away' right now, a cycling movie (well, loosely), and it's turning out to be quite good.

It's usually such a disappointment watching movies we loved as kids now as they seem so lame - things like never ending story, lady hawke, the highlander :)

It's usually such a disappointment watching movies we loved as kids now as they seem so lame - things like never ending story, lady hawke, the highlander :)

Hey...I still watch the highlander...great little movie that....70 80s movies.....airplane, top secret, blade runner, star treks and wars, back to the future ( not the silly wild west one), Ghostbusters, stand by me, what's eating Gilbert grape, jaws and jaws 4 for some great comedy and a roaring shark.

Hey...I still watch the highlander...great little movie that....70 80s movies.....airplane, top secret, blade runner, star treks and wars, back to the future ( not the silly wild west one), Ghostbusters, stand by me, what's eating Gilbert grape, jaws and jaws 4 for some great comedy and a roaring shark.

Jaws? Seriously. I tried. That used to freak me out as a kid, I tried watching one as a "grown up" the mechanics of the shark are so bad I was laughing. At the end the eyeball of the shark pops out on a spring :)

What's eating Gilbert grape is a beautiful movie. If you're downloading stuff, see if you can get the recent of mice & men theatre recording series.

Jaws? Seriously. I tried. That used to freak me out as a kid, I tried watching one as a "grown up" the mechanics of the shark are so bad I was laughing. At the end the eyeball of the shark pops out on a spring :)

What's eating Gilbert grape is a beautiful movie. If you're downloading stuff, see if you can get the recent of mice & men theatre recording series.

jaws purely from a a directing point of view...excellent directing with a big mechanical beast..its a good movie

spaghetti westerns; Dirty Harry series; Alien(s); Romancing the Stone; War of the Roses; Blazing Saddles.

So I watched Interstellar over the weekend. .. what a crock..

Yep, one of those movies that tries just a little too hard to be clever.

So I watched Interstellar over the weekend. .. what a crock..

its because its the over-rated nolan.......so all his crud gets hyped up  :ph34r:

its because its the over-rated nolan.......so all his crud gets hyped up [emoji14]h34r:

The movie just goes along as if they ran out of ideas and just added crap as they went along.

its because its the over-rated nolan.......so all his crud gets hyped up  :ph34r:

Yes the story had its flaws and the sci-fi aspects may not have been anything more special than 2001... BUT, in terms of special effects, few people come close to Nolan.