• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

dont get me wrong..we will watch it...the jurrasic franchise is an institution like Indiana Jones, Back to the future and Star Wars....but its true  much rather prefer a good solid drama

For me the movie that made me love movies was the mission...great acting, visuals and soundtrack

inj5xkqt.jpg

After seeing The Killing Fields, I so looked forward to seeing The Mission. I loved Oldfield's score for the former and Morricone's score for the latter was brilliant. Gabriel's Oboe gives me goosies*.

*Yes, yes, I know that sounds a tad odd... 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing The Killing Fields, I so looked forward to seeing The Mission. I loved Oldfield's score for the former and Morricone's score for the latter was brilliant. Gabriel's Oboe gives me goosies*.

*Yes, yes, I know that sounds a tad odd...

Nope not odd at all.. I have the soundtrack to The Mission.. incredible music. It also has the goosebumps effect on me.

Nope not odd at all.. I have the soundtrack to The Mission.. incredible music. It also has the goosebumps effect on me.

Hmmmm...I think this thread could go on a slight score tangent... :blush: 

Morricone has to be one of the most prolific film-scorers ever. Got tired reading through lists of his work as I typed this! Haha! One thing that stood out for me is that he worked with Lisa Gerrard on a Hungarian film called Fateless. I've loved Gerrard's voice since I heard her work on the 4AD record label, especially with Dead Can Dance. Her work on Gladiator also stands out!

But, for me, the best score ever goes to Vangelis for Blade Runner.       

Edited by Tumbleweed

Another score that had a big effect on me when I was a lot younger was the music composed for Bertolucci's The Last Emperor: Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne and Cong Su.

Sakamoto's soundtrack to Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence was brilliant too, especially the song Forbidden Colours with David Sylvian. On a sidenote, does anyone know why the Celliers character from Van der Post's book that the movie was based on was changed from being a Saffa to a Kiwi? Did it have to do with the film being made during apartheid days?        

Edited by Tumbleweed

Hmmmm...I think this thread could go on a slight score tangent... :blush:

Morricone has to be one of the most prolific film-scorers ever. Got tired reading through lists of his work as I typed this! Haha! One thing that stood out for me is that he worked with Lisa Gerrard on a Hungarian film called Fateless. I've loved Gerrard's voice since I heard her work on the 4AD record label, especially with Dead Can Dance. Her work on Gladiator also stands out!

But, for me, the best score ever goes to Vangelis for Blade Runner.

Ooh.. yes.. the Gladiator score was also incredible. . Musical score can be the difference between a good movie and a great movie..

As too was the score in Lord of the Rings.. didn't Enya do some of the music?

You and I could go on for long about the music of movies.. I should maybe go unpack some of my sheet music and see what I have in there.. at a stage I had a couple of classics. Also I kinda loved Doctor Zhivago music [emoji15] mainly cause it was one of my first big pieces I had to play on the piano.

Ooh.. yes.. the Gladiator score was also incredible. . Musical score can be the difference between a good movie and a great movie..

As too was the score in Lord of the Rings.. didn't Enya do some of the music?

You and I could go on for long about the music of movies.. I should maybe go unpack some of my sheet music and see what I have in there.. at a stage I had a couple of classics. Also I kinda loved Doctor Zhivago music [emoji15] mainly cause it was one of my first big pieces I had to play on the piano.

Haha! Ja, soundtracks used to make up to bulk of my vinyls and CDs when I was younger and wanted to go to film school. Long story about why I didn't...Enya did a song May It Be for the one of the Rings movies. Her family band Clannad's music pops up in movies every now and then. Their first big one was Theme from Harry's Game, but are better known for the Find You track used in Last of the Mohicans.

Edited by Tumbleweed

One composer whose work I thought I would like was Eric Serra after seeing The Big Blue. But after I bought some of work on Luc Besson's films, it all started sounding the same.

Another use of music in a film which always comes to mind is Alan Parker's Birdy. Peter Gabriel's soundtrack - mostly reworked material - provided some an atmospheric background to the film, but then things got turned on their head during the final escape sequence. Matthew Modine's Birdy goes diving off the roof, and Nicolas Cage's character screams "Birdy!", thinking his friend has died. But he's not...and La Bamba starts playing!     

Who watched the Mnet movie this Sunday?  Lone Survivor - thought it was ok for a "Ra-Ra-America!" war movie - not as good as American Sniper though.

Who watched the Mnet movie this Sunday?  Lone Survivor - thought it was ok for a "Ra-Ra-America!" war movie - not as good as American Sniper though.

it was not bad except for Marky Mark in the lead role. He irritates the sheet out of me.

It was an excellent movie, in terms of the technical aspects (so was American Sniper).

Go read the book, it gives better insight. The book about Michael Murphy, SEAL Of Honor, the team leader who called for assistance is also good.

Off the top of my head...

Apocalypse Now

Patton

Empire of the Sun

Full Metal Jacket

Salvador

The Killing Fields

There's another tangent. What do you guys and gals rate as the best war movie of all time?

1) Full Metal Jacket

2) The Killing Fields

3) Black Hawk Down