• Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Question:

If one sets out to make a documentary, is there a general rule to say X amount of information is to be factual? Who checks it?

What I'm getting at, that in film and visual reporting, there is a fair amount of editing that happens, chronological sequence of events that may be taken out of context and skewed to get a certain "message" across (Think, Carte Blanche)

I personally don't put too much faith into "true stories", the only "reality" is the one that is observed (think accurate perceptions of events - not the observed photon ) in the Television/Movie Theatre sense.

So you're going with the "what is truth?" gambit on a Tuesday afternoon - ballsy and optimistic I'd say.

There is no truth, just perceptions.  Point the camera one way, you see one thing, point it the other, you see another.

You can make a story from facts but it doesn't make it factual, nor true - depends what facts you use and which you don't.

Everything is perception.

You film a crowd rioting from the police lines, it looks a lot different to filming it from the crowd.

And whatever prejudices you bring to a subject, As the great Simon and Garfunkel once said:  "A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest".

Other than that I don't have an opinion on the matter.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

If one sets out to make a documentary, is there a general rule to say X amount of information is to be factual? Who checks it?

What I'm getting at, that in film and visual reporting, there is a fair amount of editing that happens, chronological sequence of events that may be taken out of context and skewed to get a certain "message" across (Think, Carte Blanche)

I personally don't put too much faith into "true stories", the only "reality" is the one that is observed (think accurate perceptions of events - not the observed photon ) in the Television/Movie Theatre sense.

Well - take that movie on Sunday...what was true? 4 guys got compromised, 1 guy survived after being saved by some anti taliban people....everything in between was made up and sensationalised....the guy propped up against the tree gasping his last breaths before being shot in the head...the guy dying while looking at some sentimental piece of paper...etc etc

conversely...What about Argo? apparently a fairly accurate take on events with the exception of one thing...the final trip to the airport and boarding of the plane was actually a non event in reality and went as smooth as silk...but how boring would the movie have been if depicted like that...I dont mind that

So you're going with the "what is truth?" gambit on a Tuesday afternoon - ballsy and optimistic I'd say.

Slow day at the office.....

So you're going with the "what is truth?" 

Seeing as this is a movie thread I can't help myself when I say...

"You can't handle the truth!" ;)

Seeing as this is a movie thread I can't help myself when I say...

"You can't handle the truth!" ;)

and due to this thread, the "out of order" sign on the urinal has me thinking

"You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order!"

Well - take that movie on Sunday...what was true? 4 guys got compromised, 1 guy survived after being saved by some anti taliban people....everything in between was made up and sensationalised....the guy propped up against the tree gasping his last breaths before being shot in the head...the guy dying while looking at some sentimental piece of paper...etc etc

conversely...What about Argo? apparently a fairly accurate take on events with the exception of one thing...the final trip to the airport and boarding of the plane was actually a non event in reality and went as smooth as silk...but how boring would the movie have been if depicted like that...I dont mind that

Argo was not a fairly accurate take. The Canadians were responsible for most of it, the Americans had a minor supporting role, and they completely downplayed what the Canadians did. 

Argo was not a fairly accurate take. The Canadians were responsible for most of it, the Americans had a minor supporting role, and they completely downplayed what the Canadians did. 

Oh the shock and horror, Americans acting like they did everything without anyone else... ;)

Oh the shock and horror, Americans acting like they did everything without anyone else... ;)

Ya, no surprise there...

ok ok - the premise is accurate enough i mean.

Hey I watched Wild last night.. I really enjoyed it and I'm not even a big Reese Witherspoon fan.