Maintaining fitness during Ramadaan

Since buying an IDT last month I was hoping to get some training in this Ramadaan. Three times a week, split between tabatas and a longer aerobic session, all after taraweeh. And the odd 3km run if its not too cold.

I've contemplated the IDT route. Not just for Ramadaan either. Family responsibilities leave such little time to get out and stay fit. Keep us posted

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ramadhaan Kareem to everyone.

I already made plans to have a meal as apposed to snacks for iftaar. 

My intention is to do 20 to 40 min on the idt after Taraweeg. Will see how that pans out. I need to as my fitness is almost non existant but alot better than other years and I dont want to loose any of my progress.

Ramadhaan Kareem to everyone.

I already made plans to have a meal as apposed to snacks for iftaar. 

My intention is to do 20 to 40 min on the idt after Taraweeg. Will see how that pans out. I need to as my fitness is almost non existant but alot better than other years and I dont want to loose any of my progress.

If it doesn't pan out come drop it by me. I'll swop you for a box of samoosas :ph34r:

Since buying an IDT last month I was hoping to get some training in this Ramadaan. Three times a week, split between tabatas and a longer aerobic session, all after taraweeh. And the odd 3km run if its not too cold.

I doubt if one can improve fitness or get faster or stronger during the fasting month, so I don't think tabata or any other intervals help much, for me its more about just trying not to lose fitness and also allowing my body to recover from the other 11 months and the days fasting, so moderate intensity riding for me only, high intensity training leaves me even more hungrier the next day.

Ramadhan Kareem to all. i used to train and race while fasting. there wasn't much difference in my times and it did not affect my health. if you are fit enough prior to the fast, you won't lose much and since you are only burning (not consuming) calories, train in the right zones and you will become leaner in no time. your body also needs to be conditioned to handle training without food/energy supplements as fuel. i only drink water, so it was a breeze :-)

I take a rest during Ramadaan . I have in the past rather watched what I eat at night. My work is pretty physical so I get a small amount of exercise. Taking a break off bike is good at times. Why not resort to doing some exercises after taraweeh like upper body workouts. Something light without weights. When I was much younger I used to do motorpacing at night or intervals around a small quiet circuit. This is not feasable with rampant crime nowadays. Mubarak to all for Ramadaan.

I doubt if one can improve fitness or get faster or stronger during the fasting month, so I don't think tabata or any other intervals help much, for me its more about just trying not to lose fitness and also allowing my body to recover from the other 11 months and the days fasting, so moderate intensity riding for me only, high intensity training leaves me even more hungrier the next day.

Not for improvement but for a solid 10 minute workout when too lazy/tired to do more.

sorry guys .... I eat all day long and don't fast, but wishing you and your families well during Ramadaan.

over and out.

Anyone considered LCHF? One solid fat meal before sunrise and you're good to go. Training won't be an issue.

Anyone considered LCHF? One solid fat meal before sunrise and you're good to go. Training won't be an issue.

An example of such a meal?

An example of such a meal?

One I do almost every day is 4 eggs, scrambled with cream, fried in loads of butter, and cheese on top. No toast. Coffee with more cream.

For the past two years I ride at least one moderate ride a week (pref weekend day) and one light session during the week just to keep the legs in check

I intend to so the same this year as well... considering its winter and the fasting day is short, im sure ill cope

Loads of dates in the evening helps to replenish energy

• 3 weeks later...

Sjoe! That was a tough climb hey الحَمْد لله

The only ride I had in the last 2 weeks was probably less than 2 km :mellow:

I also had a few samoosas :ph34r: (In my defense, they were air fried)

I did however (somehow) lose 2 kg in 2 weeks.

Still 2.5 hours to go and you said samoosa  :mellow: . Well, you've ridden more than I have, I looked at my bike for about 7 minutes last night.

Archived