No Daryl Impey for Tour de France - Positive Test Result

shifter

I kind of like the sentiment, but punishing innocent people just for being in the same team as a doper.... Lawyers gonna have a field day....

It happens all the time in the business world. Organisations are held accountable for the actions of their employees refer for example the large fines given to companies when their staff have engaged in price fixing.

There is nothing stopping it but the will to do so...

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...overseas. Here, not so much. We had Jeroen on here last year even telling us as much. And if memory serves we had a national champs go pretty recently without any testing.

Also Daryl is not a top tier rider, Chris Froome may get tested 30/40 times a year, Daryl probably nearer to 10 unless he is being specifically targeted.

Jeroen must have had his wires badly crossed.

Once you are a UCI pro on an international team you get tested on a regular basis.

I still remember when Froome was with Barloworld and we were on our way to a party, on the way there he got called to get home to give a sample.

What I found amusing though is that his brother Jeremy was with him and the tester asked "Which one of you is Chris"

Edited by Wyatt Earp

What I found amusing though is that his brother Jeremy was with him and the tester asked "Which one of you is Chris"

Say whaaaaat

I don't know how testing works, but is it possible that they could have mixed up his samples with somebody else's?

What is the possibility of somebody spiking him with the said drug?

From Impey's blog:

Great start to 2014

We could not have asked for a better start to 2014. What an amazing week for the team and I in Tour Down Under. Most of you know that my team mate Simon Gerrans gave a great performance by winning the race overall and taking a stage and i was happy to finish 7th overall and gain some much needed World Tour points for South Africa and I,plus we won the sprinters jersey and team classification, so in fact a GREAT start.

I went into the race not sure what to expect but I soon found out that the work i had done in the off season was paying off. We were always going to TDU to ride for Gerro and I must say that all the boys put up such a good performance, this was a huge team effort. We led the race on day 1 but soon lost the lead only to regain it on the last day. We sprinted for everything, every chance and every second to give Gerrans the best chance of winning and he did. It takes big guts to put your hand up and sacrifice the whole team but he delivered which is why he is ranked #1 in the world at the moment.

The hard work has just begun and soon I will participate in the SA National Championships on the 6th and 9th February in Durban. If you can, come support me and all the riders, its sure to be a good show. I can go into the race with great confidence and I'm looking forward to defending my TT title.

mpey wins in Durban

Daryl Impey successfully defended his national title in the individual time trial at the 2014 Time Freight South African Road Cycling Championships in Durban. With a winning time of 50’48 over the 40 kilometre course, Impey averaged 47.24 kilometres per hour to secure his third national time trial title (2011, 2013, 2014). Jay Thomson (Team MTN-Qhubeka) took the silver medal 31” behind Impey while four-time Xterra World Champion Conrad Stoltz (Specialized Racing) rounded out the podium at 1’43.

“A lot of people had a lot of expectations after the year I had last year,” said Impey. “I put a lot of pressure on myself as well. I didn’t want to come back to South Africa to lose the jersey. It was really important for me to win today.”

“It’s a bit of relief,” Impey admitted. “I had more to lose than to gain, so there was quite a lot of pressure in that way. It’s always a pleasure to ride back home, and it’s even better when I win on home soil. I’m happy to take the jersey back to Europe again. It puts South Africa on the map at a lot of the bigger races we do.”

The 40 kilometre course consisted of a single 8 kilometre loop rode five times in succession. Run over flat roads, round-abouts provided the main point of interest on the loop.

“The course was pretty straightforward,” noted Impey. “It was always important to take any breather I could get and not lose any times in the corner. The round-abouts made things interesting, and there was a little bit of wind as well.”

“My main strategy was to be consistent,” Impey added. “I wanted a smooth ride. I haven’t done as much time trial prep this year as I had done last year, but coming off the Tour Down Under, I was quietly confident I would put in a good ride. I knew I had to keep Jay in my sights, and I did that. All went according to plan.”

With a successful time trial behind him, Impey now switches his focus to the road race on Sunday. The three time trial champion has never won the national road title and would love to add the jersey to his collection. Facing a strong MTN-Qhubeka squad, Impey knows he needs to ride a smart race to pull off the double.

“The road race is going to be difficult,” said Impey. “MTN is quite strong collectively, and there are other teams with riders that could win the title, too. I’m going to need a bit of luck on my side on the day.”

“My condition is good enough to put up a good fight,” Impey added. “Winning the time trial certainly takes the pressure off a little bit. That being said, I’ve never been South African road champion, and I would love to do the double. Hopefully I can be in the right place at the right time and make the right decision to come away with the jersey.”

Jeroen must have had his wires badly crossed.

Once you are a UCI pro on an international team you get tested on a regular basis.

I still remember when Froome was with Barloworld and we were on our way to a party, on the way there he got called to get home to give a sample.

According to the latest available SAIDS annual report (only 2012_13), http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2013_SAIDS_Annual_Report.pdf

...less than 300 tests between road and mtbikers over that year... lets take 80 off for just the testing across age categories at nationals and we've got little more than 200 tests to cover say 80 pro's and various race winners? That ain't much!

According to the latest available SAIDS annual report (only 2012_13), http://www.drugfrees...nual_Report.pdf

...less than 300 tests between road and mtbikers over that year... lets take 80 off for just the testing across age categories at nationals and we've got little more than 200 tests to cover say 80 pro's and various race winners? That ain't much!

I could be wrong, but that report excludes Euro Pro's.

They get chased and tested on a regular basis, let's not forget how Chicken was suspended.

According to the latest available SAIDS annual report (only 2012_13), http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2013_SAIDS_Annual_Report.pdf

That's testing in SA?

Most of the pro guys riding internationally don't spend much time in SA.

Tour de France - South African Impey fails drugs test

South African Daryl Impey, who wore the yellow jersey on last year's Tour de France, failed an anti-doping test for the masking agent Probenecid, the Orica-GreenEdge rider said on Wednesday.

23 hours agoReuters

•  

1051587-18971984-2560-1440.jpg

View photo

Daryl Impey after stage six win at 2013 Tour de France (AFP)

Probenecid is used to mask the use of doping substances, anabolic drugs in particular.

Impey was not included in Orica-GreenEdge's nine-man Tour de France team, which came as a surprise when the Australian outfit made their announcement on Tuesday.

"Further to the announcement of the Tour de France team and in the interests of full disclosure, I confirm that on 23 June 2014, I was notified by William Newman, the President of Cycling South Africa, about an adverse analytical finding for Probenecid following an in-competition test at the national time trial championships on 6 February 2014," Impey said in a statement.

"I had no knowledge of Probenecid nor have I ever taken the substance knowingly in any manner. I am committed to drug-free sport and fully intend to take all steps necessary to clear myself of any suspicion.

"The notification came as a complete shock to me just days before the start of the Tour de France, particularly since anti-doping tests conducted on me on 8 and 9 February 2014 yielded no adverse results.

"I immediately flew back to South Africa and was present at the analysis of my B sample on 27 June 2014, the results of which confirmed the initial analysis."

The Tour de France starts in Leeds, England on Saturday.

Last year, all-rounder Impey became the first African rider to wear the yellow jersey on the Tour de France when he led the overall standings during stages 6 and 7.

I could be wrong, but that report excludes Euro Pro's.

They get chased and tested on a regular basis, let's not forget how Chicken was suspended.

It will exclude the UCI's testing I recon, but I don't think they pop up here very often as we're not close to home and their are relatively few riders on their books out this side. They do though I have heard occasionally pop in over December when a lot of the Euro Pro's are training down in the Cape...