No Daryl Impey for Tour de France - Positive Test Result

shifter

I kind of like the sentiment, but punishing innocent people just for being in the same team as a doper.... Lawyers gonna have a field day....

True true....but then again those same innocent people benefited from his results when he was doping.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of like the sentiment, but punishing innocent people just for being in the same team as a doper.... Lawyers gonna have a field day....

Not if it is written into their contracts.

I hereby... bla bla nla and all the rest ;)

The financial complications must be so heavy (no ride = no exposure for team = loss of income=sponsors pull out) the team that they will think twice about who they employ or the manner in which they do things.

Sponsors are already hard to find and pretty sure they'd all pull out with something like that.

OGE has a contract that the riders must to sign about doping.

The team doesn't always know what the rider is doing.

I read that his dad is now saying it was probably as a result of contaminated food. Sounds Fishy non the less

I read that his dad is now saying it was probably as a result of contaminated food. Sounds Fishy non the less

Beefy Impey. . Doesn't have the same ring to it as Beefy Bert.. just saying

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the result should be delayed further. Just that ideally it should have not been delayed at all.

Thats of course assumes it was delayed purposefully, most of everything said so far is speculation mixed with emotion...

The only facts so far are 2 big + signs

The rugger players got off because their supplements were found to be contaminated. Comrades runner Mamabolo got off because of testing irregularities.

Chilliboy and Bjorn basson had contaminated supplements(methylhexamine i think) supplied to the entire team. The whole squad would have tested positive that week, they were the 'unlucky' ones who got tested.

BUT, chilliboy has tested + in france now, so who knows?

Over and above, there will then be incentive for them to keep the team clean, doing their own tests more frequently on their own riders since its in their interest to do so.

It's a tough line to tow...

I like the idea of punishing the teams, but positive tests of their riders generally do that in any case - and it's not really possible to police 30 riders 24/7, 365...

I like what Neotel team owner Eugene Reuters did: in his contract with the sponsor it was in black and white - doping positive in the team = contract termination. Neotel though wanted to carry on regardless, the team was building promising riders and doing the right things - but he stood firm saying pretty much that if they do so, how will the riders ever learn?? It's one thing losing your own job, another entirely to cost your friends theirs.

It's harsh, but if all teams had that stance?

Another thing is results also need to be secondary to ethics etc, everyone wants exposure for their sponsorship, but ideally you need sponsors who are passionate about the sport and understand it's history.

Cycling wants credibility? Why on earth did it allow Vino to buy a team???? Because quite simply, at the end of the day - money talks!

My armchair analysis is that he's one of the good guys...he's going for that line of defense anyway.

I see he did the Tour down under a fortnight before SA champs, and did damn well - came 7th in the GC.

Did he get tested there??

My armchair analysis is that he's one of the good guys...he's going for that line of defense anyway.

I see he did the Tour down under a fortnight before SA champs, and did damn well - came 7th in the GC.

Did he get tested there??

The testing never stops.

4 months turnaround time is the norm. DG was also informed 4 months later.

Impey requested his B sample be tested and was present at that test.

End of the day he failed an IQ test. He probably didn't think they would pick that substance up in his body since its such a outdated substance these days.

Thats of course assumes it was delayed purposefully, most of everything said so far is speculation mixed with emotion...

Sure. But I think that SAIDS needs to to look into why the delay happened, and if it can be avoided in future.

The testing never stops.

...overseas. Here, not so much. We had Jeroen on here last year even telling us as much. And if memory serves we had a national champs go pretty recently without any testing.

Also Daryl is not a top tier rider, Chris Froome may get tested 30/40 times a year, Daryl probably nearer to 10 unless he is being specifically targeted.

4 months turnaround time is the norm. DG was also informed 4 months later.

Impey requested his B sample be tested and was present at that test.

End of the day he failed an IQ test. He probably didn't think they would pick that substance up in his body since its such a outdated substance these days.

Memory's playing up, but DG's sample wasn't tested here in SA, was it? Do we have the equipment and capacity to test for EPO here? I seem to remember a reference to a Cologne lab when Nolan tested positive…may be wrong…

...overseas. Here, not so much. We had Jeroen on here last year even telling us as much. And if memory serves we had a national champs go pretty recently without any testing.

Also Daryl is not a top tier rider, Chris Froome may get tested 30/40 times a year, Daryl probably nearer to 10 unless he is being specifically targeted.

well according to his statement he was tested on the 6,7,8 of feb. so reckon it's more than 10 times a year.