The Not So Secret High Fat Cycling Diary of a Middle Aged Man

High Fat Cycling

On the 2nd of January 2013 I decided to ride the 235km Three Peaks Challenge in March 2014. At the time I was 49 years old, I weighed 88kg and stood 174cm tall, in fact I still stand 174cm tall! In order to tackle the over 4,000m in climbing, I realized early on that I needed to lose some weight. In addition to being fat I had high cholesterol at 6.2. (HDL 1.9 and LDL 4.1) and was on statins (Crestor 10mg).

I managed to bring my weight down from 88kg to 83kg by the end of March 2013. However, despite Herculean efforts (or so I thought) my weight plateaued at 83kg till 26 July 2013. On 27 July 2013 I decided to cut out sugar and simple carbohydrates and increase fat consumption. (I read Gary Taubes, Jeff Volek & Stephen Phinney and of course Tim Noakes) On 26 October my weight was 76.5kg. Of course medical and dietary paradigms are a bit like religion, we hold on to them, despite contrary evidence and I was no exception. My dad died at 55 from a heart attack so using my own body to experiment did make me feel a bit, no a lot, apprehensive.

I stopped taking the Crestor in October and on the 13th of November I went to see a cardiologist. My total Cholesterol was 5.0 (Triglycerides 0.4, HDL 1.7, LDL 3.0) and was advised to stay off statins. This is when I decided to buy new bike, if only I knew then that my health wasn’t going to be the biggest obstacle I would face to complete the event. With the benefit of hindsight I should have been more concerned about dodgy carbon and less concerned about dodgy arteries.

At the time of the race March 2014, my weight was 72.2kg and I am still 174cm tall. I am not a nutritionist nor do I have a medical background, this is just an anecdote to riding a race.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cut out sugar (chocolates, cakes, sweets, etc), potatoes, wheat (pasta, bread, etc) rice, oats (except when going long) and beer. I only had 3GI if the ride was over 2 hours long otherwise I just drank water on the bike If the ride was over three hours i would have oats for breakfast. Other than that I went full fat everything, yogurt, cream, chicken skin, fat on biltong, etc

I lost a 5kgs in a month. Down to 88kg for 1.83m. Never lost that much ever. Took off about 40 minutes from my best 50km mtb race times. I'm no racing snake but 2hr40 for 50km I attribute to the Tim Noakes diet. Level of training is the same. Have not been to doctor to check cholesterol yet. Was high 6's a year ago. Stopped statins and will go and test in a few weeks.

It sounds like a carbon diet! :ph34r: Well done AA. At least you don't have to appear on Carte Blanche with your diet! :blush:

No really well done.. I honestly commend all of you thay go on diets and have the discipline to see it through or adopt a healthier life style in general.

I just cut out sugar (chocolates, cakes, sweets, etc), potatoes, wheat (pasta, bread, etc) rice, oats (except when going long) and beer. I only had 3GI if the ride was over 2 hours long otherwise I just drank water on the bike If the ride was over three hours i would have oats for breakfast. Other than that I went full fat everything, yogurt, cream, chicken skin, fat on biltong, etc

You see, there is the problem for me.

I am on both your diets, the High Fat and the High Carb ones.

Chicken skin (with chips) and fatty biltong (with beer). Also, I found if you add Chocolate to your cake you can kill two birds with one meal.......

Well done, your story is inspirational and I'll use it to help get me back in shape......

Andrew thats a good story to start the day with, well done. Whats the latest on cycle science debacle?

I want to cry.