Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Well done Tim and Andrew. WHAT a finish.

Big mention to Glenn and Meryl re the trackers... made for a very exciting Monday!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done to both Tim and Andrew

Great racing - very different strategies

So close at the end

HUGE RESPECT :clap:

Shebeen, thanks for all the updates and insights, it was gripping.

Long live the Freedom Challenge......

What this man must have gone through to be a winner.

Great respect and admiration!

Andrew's tracker making squigles :(

Andrew in too now. WOW, very well done!!!!!!

Wow! What an incredibly close finish.

I've struggled to focus on anything else for the last half hour  :blush:

Well done to both Tim and Andrew, huge respect for both riders and their race approach. Definitely a case of feeling for Andrew but I guess in the spirit of the Freedom Challenge all finishers are winners. Thank you for 13days and 8hrs on entertainment.

We need to add two new moves to the route from the 2015 race

The VUVU shuffle thanks to Tim

The Diemmers meander thanks to Andrew

Rest up guys enjoy the pizza and Pinotage. To all the riders on the route be safe.

Shebeen, thanks for all the updates and insights, it was gripping.

Long live the Freedom Challenge......

hey, only a pleasure thanks for yours too. I found it a bit disjointed with the really cool updates coming on the web sporadically. the focus has really moved to twitter, but here you can add so much more.

now how's this for an almost almost? there used to be a rule that all times were sort of rounded off to the nearest 30mins. i'm not sure exactly what the reason for this was, but it essentially meant that any riders finishing within a close enough gap got the same time.

I'm also not sure when this was taken away, but as it stands now, it's a race  - first over the line wins. makes sense really.

it would still have been a race, andrew had today clawed his way back to maybe even in front of tim, only to get lost at the most inopportune time. and the difference in their times in the end, 30mins.

hey, only a pleasure thanks for yours too. I found it a bit disjointed with the really cool updates coming on the web sporadically. the focus has really moved to twitter, but here you can add so much more.

now how's this for an almost almost? there used to be a rule that all times were sort of rounded off to the nearest 30mins. i'm not sure exactly what the reason for this was, but it essentially meant that any riders finishing within a close enough gap got the same time.

I'm also not sure when this was taken away, but as it stands now, it's a race  - first over the line wins. makes sense really.

it would still have been a race, andrew had today clawed his way back to maybe even in front of tim, only to get lost at the most inopportune time. and the difference in their times in the end, 30mins.

I still cant really believe it came down to that, I honestly thought Tim had it wrapped up with his entry into the kloof, (about 4 hours ahead of Andrew), albeit in fading light, if he could just have of got a sight of the neck/ exit point and have taken a bearing and stuck with in a couple of degrees of that then I thought he would find it. But to see where he went beggars belief, those sides and cliffs are not easy to get up without a bike.

I can only think he went over the ridge after the dam, dropped into the kloof and then got confused as to what valley he was in. I thought after Vuvu there was no way he would do that again and he did just that - up the side of the valley.

I would love to hear what happened but with the rain in that valley last night, it is supposedly in one of the highest rainfall areas in the WC, the wind and zero moon, he could probably see his hand in front of him.  

Andrew was no less brave following him in there, his tracker seems to suggest at one stage he stayed put. Neither of them would have known what the other was doing, nor would they have gotten signal until nearly on the N1 late this morning, so the mind games in the their heads must have been hectic.

Hopefully we get to hear a little bit about what went on - from somewhere/ somebody. 

(the only other person I know to have gone in there in the teeth of a cold front in winter was Gawie in 2012 when he uncoupled from the wyntrein and went in search of a solo finish, he probably has of the best sense of direction on the trail and he hardly doubts himself, he blitzed through there for a midnight finish) 

After Martin and Jeannie's everesting up Sani and now Tim and Andrew's exploits, it is clear that the winners of the Freedom Challenge are a very special bunch.

In world where #legend #fistpump #ownit #dominate etc feature a lot, I think the quiet achievements of these people stand in such juxtaposition to the norm - they go about their business with steely determination and minimal fanfare as they break down perceived limits and make us wonder what is actually possible.

In world where #legend #fistpump #ownit #dominate etc feature a lot, I think the quiet achievements of these people stand in such juxtaposition to the norm - they go about their business with steely determination and minimal fanfare as they break down perceived limits and make us wonder what is actually possible.

#Like

What a days racing!!

Thank you Tim and Andrew for keeping us on the edge of our seats from when your trackers went down yesterday, well done on an amazing finish to both of you.  Good job Fjord on your third place finish - Fantastic.

Thanks to the awesome race office for great tracking, twitter updates, news, pics etc - this year has been awesome to watch

Thanks to all the hubbers for the awesome updates

But now back to the rest of the riders out on the trail - when is cut off for Mike and John?  I have it as Friday morning at 6am, is that correct??  

apologies guys.

the wife is showing interest in this. But I cannot find the post that has some of the pages of the route description. Can any one help out please ?

Archived