wattbikes at virgin - fitness test

I see that a number of virgin gyms (bryanston, old eds, victory park to name a few) have recently aquired wattbikes which is awesome!

Seeing this is my first opportunity to do power based training, my goal is to find a general fitness "test" that one can do to test your form / progress periodically? I'm hoping that this could help me measure progress and perhaps estimate your race times.

As a first attempt I'm going to try a 45 minute balls to the wall ride this week and record average power. Aiming for 250W.

Any other (perhaps less boring) ideas?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Wattbike menu there is a Test submenu. Have a look at the Wattbike UK website for instructions on how to get the most out of it.

What jcza said....before you do anything do a test either MMP(which is on the wattbike) or FTP(also on the wattbike)

Once you have this power number you can enter it into a program. But you need them first. Also a bench to work from ito improvement.

There are a selection of tests you can use on the bike you select them in the menu i know there is step up tests and 20 min max power tests etc there will be some options u can use.

If you download the manual (its 150 pages ) you can read up on all the features and the specifics on the tests available.

The Virgin by my house has just got 3 so I only started using them last week and at the moment I am mainly using pedal technique mode to improve my pedal stroke.

I would think the 20 min test will be best for you as when I did cadence they would use the 20 min test to firstly determine your training zones and then each block to measure improvement.

Also started using the Centurion ones this week and really enjoying it so far. Nice to see how your pedalling technique looks etc. Also downloaded the manuals and going through them. Thanks for the additional tips here!! ;)

I see that a number of virgin gyms (bryanston, old eds, victory park to name a few) have recently aquired wattbikes which is awesome!

Seeing this is my first opportunity to do power based training, my goal is to find a general fitness "test" that one can do to test your form / progress periodically? I'm hoping that this could help me measure progress and perhaps estimate your race times.

As a first attempt I'm going to try a 45 minute balls to the wall ride this week and record average power. Aiming for 250W.

Any other (perhaps less boring) ideas?

Would like to hear from you after your test , If you achieved 250Watts I would say that you must be quite fit.

Only did the 3 min Test so far but like training on them. Still using Heartrate based training but they give you motivation as you see the Watts drop.

Also quite good to see that for the same heartrate I can do around 300Watts and then after an hour straggle to do 200Watts at that same heartrate .

Would like to hear from you after your test , If you achieved 250Watts I would say that you must be quite fit.

Only did the 3 min Test so far but like training on them. Still using Heartrate based training but they give you motivation as you see the Watts drop.

Also quite good to see that for the same heartrate I can do around 300Watts and then after an hour straggle to do 200Watts at that same heartrate .

Watts per kilo would be a better indicator.

okay, huuuuuuge rookie error not googling wattbike before starting the fred.

seems you can even setup a virtual race your mates with these things, nevermind the list of pre-programmed tests...

I still think a "45 minute ride till you die/vomit/collapse" ride will be cool anyway!

Just too bad that Virgin Active Tygervalley doesn't allow the SA Track Sprint Squad to use their own pedals on the Wattbikes! They need to use own pedals as they strap their feet to the pedals to prevent them from pulling out as the produce 2200+ watts!!

Just too bad that Virgin Active Tygervalley doesn't allow the SA Track Sprint Squad to use their own pedals on the Wattbikes! They need to use own pedals as they strap their feet to the pedals to prevent them from pulling out as the produce 2200+ watts!!

I tested the ones in Steenberg yesterday, and I would like to see how they will not be able to use those SPD cleats. They were as stiff as anything. Was difficult for me to uncleat.

I tested the ones in Steenberg yesterday, and I would like to see how they will not be able to use those SPD cleats. They were as stiff as anything. Was difficult for me to uncleat.

So you tested this at 2200+ watts??

Thats not what he said

These guys don't own any spd cleated shoes. Sure not going to put them on their special track shoes either! Rugby teams gets all sorts of special treatments at the gym... why cant the SA Track Sprint team get some sort of "special treatment" too? Virgin Active didn't even want the German Track Team (holding the Team Sprint World Record) train there for free!! While overseas rugby teams get to train there for free!

*Not trying to argue with you guys though!

Archived