wattbikes at virgin - fitness test

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I pair my Garmin 910XT with a Wattbike @ Virgin? If so, how?

video here of how to do Garmin 800 and 500 http://wattbike.com/uk/wattbike/2013_performance_computer/ant_connectivity/linking_your_garmin

Is the same principal for the 910XT, I have done it.  Only issue I have is at my gym 3 bikes are next to each other, so you may have to manually input the wattbike ID number to make sure it records the data from the bike you are on and not one of the other bikes.  

First time I did it, took a while to figure out, now I get on, then whilst doing a light spin change the sensor ID on my 910XT, and once configured then start my session.

HI Guys,

not sure if i did something wrong on the MMP test (dont think you really can),

I was averaging about 230watts (this after a full session) for the first 1:45.

i then upped my pace and held about 320watts for a full minute and held on for dear life for the last 15 secs at about 260watts.

My MMP was 248 at the end and that is what my average was as well.

i thought as per previous posts that the MMP was based on the minute but the rest was taken into account.

Mine is just an average over the 3 minutes.

I did a 20-minute test in October, but the results show as the MMP (average watts for 3 minute test) - I averaged 237W.

My 12-week training block starts in a few weeks, so I'm looking forward to seeing some REAL results and improvement.

So my 12 week course ended just before the Solidarity ride (Argus).

20 minute test at the start in December was 237W

End test was a really hard ride - 302W.

My strategy was to start off at about 310W and see if I could maintain it. Got up to 319W at halfway and then the fun began... the watts dropped very quickly and it was a relief when I saw 302 with 5 seconds to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Also started using the Centurion ones this week and really enjoying it so far. Nice to see how your pedalling technique looks etc. Also downloaded the manuals and going through them. Thanks for the additional tips here!! ;)

Sorry to ask this so long after the post - which Virgin Actives in Centurion have Watt Bikes? Are they ant+ compatible?

Does anyone know if on the Watt Bikes there are any pre-programmed "rides" which has the watts pre-loaded as part of training ride? I hope the question made sense? If not i'll try & rephrase it.

Sorry to ask this so long after the post - which Virgin Actives in Centurion have Watt Bikes? Are they ant+ compatible?

The one by Makro and yes they are ant compatible as far as I have seen. Only 3 of them though so you have to run to use them Hehe but worth it!!

So my 12 week course ended just before the Solidarity ride (Argus).

20 minute test at the start in December was 237W

End test was a really hard ride - 302W.

My strategy was to start off at about 310W and see if I could maintain it. Got up to 319W at halfway and then the fun began... the watts dropped very quickly and it was a relief when I saw 302 with 5 seconds to go.

Thats a huge improvement Gerald !! Wow, whats that, like 30% increase in power ? Solid number dude. Well done.

Does anyone know if on the Watt Bikes there are any pre-programmed "rides" which has the watts pre-loaded as part of training ride? I hope the question made sense? If not i'll try & rephrase it.

no it does not. You can setup your own however before every ride

• 2 weeks later...

Paired my edge 500 today, but calibration failed with an error however I was still able to pick up power, anyone else have this problem?

Paired my edge 500 today, but calibration failed with an error however I was still able to pick up power, anyone else have this problem?

When it asks you to calibrate, select NO. It shouldn't need to calibrate.

HI Guys,

not sure if i did something wrong on the MMP test (dont think you really can),

I was averaging about 230watts (this after a full session) for the first 1:45.

i then upped my pace and held about 320watts for a full minute and held on for dear life for the last 15 secs at about 260watts.

My MMP was 248 at the end and that is what my average was as well.

i thought as per previous posts that the MMP was based on the minute but the rest was taken into account.

Mine is just an average over the 3 minutes.

MMP is measured over 3 minutes. Not sure why it's not called the M3MP test though...

• 1 year later...

Has anyone used the Android WATTBIKE App? There is a few workouts on that, I tried "building blocks" I am too ashamed to quote my average power over the 57 minutes :ph34r: . Most Virgin active gyms only have one that is Bluetooth enabled, we should all "complain" maybe they will get more if there are more requests for it.

Here is my 3 min test data over the past few months. - I do almost training on the open road Sea point chappies Sea point.

28 June 2014 - 386w

10 July 2014 - 411w

5 August 2014 - 422w

14 August 2014 - 439w

Maybe I am just getting better at watt biking :P

Well now I feel k@k, did a watt bike 3 min test this morning and thought I was doing well and got 380w

Has anyone used the Android WATTBIKE App? There is a few workouts on that, I tried "building blocks" I am too ashamed to quote my average power over the 57 minutes :ph34r: . Most Virgin active gyms only have one that is Bluetooth enabled, we should all "complain" maybe they will get more if there are more requests for it.

I have been using it for a while on the IPhone, but doing it on a Just Ride as the warm up is to short for me.

According to my MMP I should do the 4 sessions of 10 minutes at 280 Watts but fall to 250 for the last set in the end.

After a few sessions I also came to the conclusion that my FTP that is 95% of my 20 min test will not be what I can achieve for 60 minutes.

Well now I feel k@k, did a watt bike 3 min test this morning and thought I was doing well and got 380w

Malvapoeding drowning in warm custard can adversely affect your watts, Bru

#wintercomforts

Archived