Direction of tree line at Emmarantia

GaryvdM

Question about the tree line at Emmarantia that starts at the top dam wall and finishes near the Orange rd entrance (map): is there a stipulated direction on this tree line?

I was riding it in a north-east direction and nearly had a head on with someone comming up it in the south west direction.

Edited by GaryvdM

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about the tree line at Emmarantia that starts at the top dam wall and finishes near the Orange rd entrance (map): is there a stipulated direction on this tree line?

I was riding it in a north-east direction and nearly had a head on with someone comming up it in the south west direction.

I always go same way as you and also had a a few near hits. To me it makes no sense going up... it's way more fun going down!

I always go same way as you and also had a a few near hits. To me it makes no sense going up... it's way more fun going down!

Ride faster going uphill and you will see its fun going both ways... There is no specified direction on any path on the spruit you can rely on - remember that IMBA rules specify that those riding uphill have right of way, and a level of caution, common sense and observation is needed - quite how you missed seeing someone coming is a mystery, that treeline is very open.

you often have near head on collisions in that section. I always ride it the way you do

There used to be a sign indicating a separate line for the up ride. The Spruit Fairies installed the secondary route about 15 months ago if my memory serves me correct. The up route can/could be found further away from the fence. It worked well at the beginning.

I only ride that route in the same direction as the OP.

Ride faster going uphill and you will see its fun going both ways... There is no specified direction on any path on the spruit you can rely on - remember that IMBA rules specify that those riding uphill have right of way, and a level of caution, common sense and observation is needed - quite how you missed seeing someone coming is a mystery, that treeline is very open.

yes, and agreed to everything. I always see the guys coming up but not easy to make space/way as it is quite twisty through the trees. I don't get annoyed ever with riders coming up though - I ride there often and probably 1 out 10 rides someone will come up - doesn't bug me, although I do want to tell them "turn around when you get to the top" ;)

So I was exaggerating a bit when I said "nearly had a head on". I did see him ahead of time, and I exited the line when we got close.

Edited by GaryvdM

yes, and agreed to everything. I always see the guys coming up but not easy to make space/way as it is quite twisty through the trees. I don't get annoyed ever with riders coming up though - I ride there often and probably 1 out 10 rides someone will come up - doesn't bug me, although I do want to tell them "turn around when you get to the top" ;)

I only get annoyed when going downhill and I catch up to riders wearing full face helmets and they won't pull over when I ring my bell...

Down ride is the best ride and any person riding up through the tree line is a kill joy and a real pain in the culo..... Weve been creaming this for 12 years and never have we ridden up ...anybody who does deserves to get ridden over . :devil:There is plenty of places on the spruit to ride technical uphill why do it here on one the most choicest down lines there is . Riders who do just dont get it .

This makes me laugh so much! Because I honestly wouldn't know who in their right mind would ride up this... You can see by the trail design that it is meant for down (I mean there are even lips and humps for jumps).

A second trail was made next to it for people going up though? And if you do ride up it have some common logic, because you are probably riding for fitness which is perfect (So you can get just as fit riding next to the line) and let the people have some fun going down.

PS... If you are an adult MTB person coming up this line I will happily go straight into you, but if you are a child or someone I see does not ride often and is going on a chilled ride in Emmarentia I will happily move. (As these people don't know the trail)

This makes me laugh so much! Because I honestly wouldn't know who in their right mind would ride up this... You can see by the trail design that it is meant for down (I mean there are even lips and humps for jumps).

A second trail was made next to it for people going up though? And if you do ride up it have some common logic, because you are probably riding for fitness which is perfect (So you can get just as fit riding next to the line) and let the people have some fun going down.

PS... If you are an adult MTB person coming up this line I will happily go straight into you, but if you are a child or someone I see does not ride often and is going on a chilled ride in Emmarentia I will happily move. (As these people don't know the trail)

Great attitude....you are due a pakslae ouboet.

Prefer that to a tree and a broken bike :ph34r:

Your choice....the fact that you are going at a speed in public park(where mtb'er are already skating on thin ice ito being allowed to) where dogs and children run around is reckless. Don't be that guy that spoils it for everyone

Take it easy through there, its for everyone's enjoyment and IS NOT a bikepark....there are venues where you can bomb down as fast as you want....the spruit and emma isn't it.

Your choice....the fact that you are going at a speed in public park(where mtb'er are already skating on thin ice ito being allowed to) where dogs and children run around is reckless. Don't be that guy that spoils it for everyone

Take it easy through there, its for everyone's enjoyment and IS NOT a bikepark....there are venues where you can bomb down as fast as you want....the spruit and emma isn't it.

Point taken, considering the thin ice maybe my view is not winning anyone's vote... Rest of the Spruit has never been much of a problem as there is so much space to avoid people (Going down) so never been an issue. But I will think next time, need to win over some dog walker hearts ;)

Point taken, considering the thin ice maybe my view is not winning anyone's vote... Rest of the Spruit has never been much of a problem as there is so much space to avoid people (Going down) so never been an issue. But I will think next time, need to win over some dog walker hearts ;)

yea, the rest of the spruit is pretty open, the main issue with that treeline is where it comes close to the walking path and its pretty blind do to foliage leading up to it.....dogs especially run all over and I lets face it....you will kill a stoepkakkertjie one time if you hit it at speed. Can you imagine how ape the aunty will go if killed her yorkie....