Cycling to School

Pure Savage

I rode to school from Standard 1 until the end of Matric. My parents wouldn't drop me off, so I had clothing for rain, cold, you name it. Cricket season was the worst, had my school bag and a cricket bag with my kit in, pads, bat, helmet,on top of it. Had only one incident in all that time, got bumped by a car whilst crossing at a pedestrian crossing, he was a little hasty at anticipating the green.

Ha ha ha.. hey I had a roll over car bonnet moment. . We used to ride through the rec club as short cut and we always entered at the exit and well one day there was a car. . The woman got such a skrik all I said was I am fine don't worry.. cause I knew I would get a good hiding from my mom for breaking the rules.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to ride to school, and 5 years into Uni, I still do.

In terms of commuting, Stellenbosch is still a very cycle-able place, but I don't see as many school-going cyclists as I think there should be.

The campus is the opposite: almost too many bicycle commuters on the road (but never enough!)

I started riding to school (2km) when I was 10 and we now live in the same neighbourhood and the kids are at the same school. We've ridden to school twice as a family but while most motorists are very considerate, there are some aggressive and irresponsible drivers (normally 20-25 y.o. driving small cars).

Wouldn't it be great if we could have bicycle friendly paths on major routes to schools :thumbup:

40km's for grade 1 / 2 / 3 is a bit harsh, but I'm pushing them to give it a bash.

There's 2 kids we see riding in along Witkoppen towards Lonehill and they always drop us in the traffic.

Maybe they should make cycling an extra mural activity. Like Rugby, soccer, cricket etc.

MariusL started MTBing at the school where he teaches

LIfe for kids, its not the same anymore...used to have the choice of going by bus (hi-school and primary school, cycling or on the very rare occasion walking (ok actually hitching :ph34r: which was forbidden in school uniform)

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it...."

Maybe they should make cycling an extra mural activity. Like Rugby, soccer, cricket etc.

2 of our high schools also has mtb as extra mural activities.. Thank you spur series.

And Volkskool in potch have big mtb squad.

I used to lug my squash racquet and tog bag. When I was mugged thats the only way I got my bike back, the master jumped in a car and spotted the only guy on a bike with a bishops school bag that it did not belong to. We was massive and when he jumped out the car the mugger hurdled the red cross hospital fence in one go!!

My route was mostly off the main roads.

I am sure with proper paniers that it would be pretty chilled to make the commute. It was the first step of independence. Summer afternoons cruising home was lekker.

I am currently at school and would love to be able to ride but it is simply not possible for me. This may be a problem that only I have but the amount of luggage the boys at my school arrive with would be impossible to carry on a bike. We all have very heavy school bags, then massive tog bags and most importantly the great lunch box! I do think the whole image aspect plays a part in it but is not such a big part. I think it's more of a fact that it is simply not safe for children to be riding to and from school especially when you consider that most of them, and again this may be confined to be school, have to arrive between 6:30-7 in the morning and only leave when it's getting dark again!

I have 2 high school boys and I see exactly the same thing. We are fortunate that there is a even cycle path (separate from traffic) nearly all the way from our doorstep to school, but logistically it is simply not practical. In a school of around 1000 boys, I never see more than 2 or 3 bikes on campus. Huge pity that.

I used to,

15km there and 15km back (high school)......as I was tired of all the barnies on the bus between the different schools. But best of all I had the freedom to go and do whatever I wanted after school (biking brought me much independance)

I would love my kids to cycle to school, but I would probably be the first one to not let them (would worry too much)

I rode to school in primary school (probably from when I was about 10 to Std 5). My mom had a home industries shop so the choice was walk 4km to the shop after school or cycle to the shop, drop my briefcase and go home. Sport practice was about twice a week if I recall, so then mom would pick us up after practice.

High School I was in koshuis, so thankfully the trip to and from my hostel room was only a few minutes.

When I got to Varsity, my flatlet was a fair way off Campus (on top of the hill in Uniepark in Stellenbosch), so I dusted off my old Peugot Mountain bike (full rigid, about 14kg with 7 speed shimano deore shifters) and used this to get to campus and back. I rented a locker in the Neelsie to store text books and my cycling kit (no helmets in those days, only "kit" I had was wool mittens my gran knitted me) and tried to get through as much homework in between classes as I had an evening job either doing guarding duty at the ladies' res'es or bar tendering / waitering to pay for my studies. I saved up enough cash for a Volksie when I was 21. I incidentally got my first real hangover the weekend after I got my car. I suspect that I used to sweat out the alcohol consumed with after shift drinks at the restaurant I used to work.

Today I try to commute at least twice a week. My route is from Parklands to Tyger Valley. I pass Kenridge Primary school and this is usually my most dangerous spot. It seems like when the mommies drop their kids off for school their brains fall out as well until 2 when they pick them up again. The amount of times I was almost hit by a mom that simply does not see my 2000 lumens front light flashing like a lighthouse is just staggering. If the kiddies at Kenridge rode to school on their bikes my guess would be that there would be at least 1 incident a month with moms leaving school with the lights on but no one home.