1x10 switch from scratch

braailegend

After about 3 years hitting the SS down the rail I decided time to get some gears again. Did this quick comparison last nigh and thought i'd share, for anyone looking for cost estimation at the moment, this was my estimation between the 3 shops I usually use.

post-28006-0-61637700-1408094042_thumb.jpg

EDIT: just took the cheapest options and jotted them down. I ended up with around R2200, which included a more expensive Zee derailleur (wide range), extra cable housing, better cassette&chain and insured postage

Edited by braailegend

Crc deal is not bad @ all.. dont forget the 15.4% tax. Even with that added its still cheap...delivery from crc abt 5days

Price differences are quite big on some of those items, I'm assuming you checked to make sure they're all the same spec/series?

Price differences are quite big on some of those items, I'm assuming you checked to make sure they're all the same spec/series?

Agree - what RD are you using as benchmark???

Not same spec at all, just took the cheapest available, meaning cheapest type2/shadow+ derailleur, etc.

Ok that explains it. All depends what are in stock and what is on sale then.

Jip, for example, there were no cheap Shimano shifters currently available from you, so opted for the more expensive sram RD, which could could be used with the cheapest shifter from sram

Not same spec at all, just took the cheapest available, meaning cheapest type2/shadow+ derailleur, etc.

So in other words you're comparison is quite pointless......

Try easybike as well, they normally well priced on shimano items. Plus they keep stock i think.

For some, but for someone who like me who want 1x10 the cheapest way in the next day or 2 I thought this would be helpful.

post-28006-0-53233700-1408097345_thumb.jpg

Lol. Love that pic. Nope no annoyance at all. The time factor explains everything then, makes it valid.

I recently completed a Hope 1x10 conversion (including a 40t casette ring), and it came to considerably more. Somewhere around R4500.

Went XT for RD and Casette with a good chain.

A mate of mine did his some time back, with a mix of parts, an existing casette etc and he's really battled. Hell of a noisy and terrible shift.

My 2c is that its worth dropping some extra loot if possible, and getting the best specs available or the simplicity etc of the 1x is negated!

Done and Dusted, R2.2k on the bike, installed by LBS. Works like a SS, no chain slap (ran without any stay guard, too listen for slap). No drop, and hit the roughest rock gardens, jumps and SingleTrack I could find while running in heaviest gear.

Definite nice upgrade, and hit 4 PR's on the dreaded strava :clap: haha

post-28006-0-25530900-1408461009_thumb.jpg

Kit:

• Blackspire mono veloce 32T chaining
  • SLX 11/36 chainring
  • Zee wide ratio derailleur and shifter
  • SLX chain
  • XT gear Housing

I am sure the nature of the feel of the frame has changed now that you can run that rear wheel slotted as close to the seat stay as possible vs where it would have been when running SS with chain tugs?

Sacrilege to do that to the Inbred frame, but looks like a decent 1 x something setup.....how lekker is it to run gear again :)