Brandon Stewart

Mousea

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't suppose Evans and Max have made plans for next year. (Sure I read that fedgroup are continuing their support of them till end of 2014) I saw a tweet that Max has just recovered from Malaria and something else.. nasty.

mountain biking is like rugby - just entering the 20th century nevermind the 21st.

they would rather be on the podium in parys than paris. the roadies have realised this and are now focussed on europe and being players in the big wide world - mtb'ers can do their local 3 day stage race , make a 'living' until they grow old , open a bike shop .......u know the story

When all is said and done and dislike and like for BS is taken away from either party and wether he was intentionally cheating to gain an upper hand or wether he needed it medically and all was above board with prescription the bottom line is that he is a Professional athlete who has been doing this for years and years and will know of years of cases where athletes have been banned for this exact case wether intentional or not.

For him to go ahead with no written consent on the basis it was "all ok" according to him was so nieve and so blatantly silly shows to me how cocksure he would be with getting away with it and in essence took a banned product illegally to gain a advantage in his racing and training and now is upset cause he has been caught and calling it a witch hunt.

Its his responsibility to as said before to follow the rules like many, many athletes do just like it is for a trader on the stock exchange not to do insider trading. When that doesnt happen then you have to accept the consequences.

When an independent endocrinologist performed tests it shows that he DID NOT require testosterone boosters so how does that work?

Mmm has Stewart not had stage wins at, The Trans Alps and The BC Bike race....

These are sure not in Welkom or Potch

I did BCBR last year, and while its a good field, I do not recall seeing a top 50 UCI XC or marathon name. I also do not think that it is a UCI sanctioned event.

Unfortunately with a doping ban there will always be people questioning all prior results as well.

all I really care about is what is going to happen to the berg and bush thanks to this big balls up

Business as usual I suspect, I think well-run events like Berg&Bush are probably much more appealing to potential sponsors than pro-teams. No risk of attaching your brand to a doper and your marketing campaign can reach a wider audience, not just those following mtb pro's.

Nedbank still sponsors Sani2C despite dropping Team-360 Life.

any comment from GM yet?

I think rolling his car twice in San Fran is weighing more heavily on his mind

Business as usual I suspect, I think well-run events like Berg&Bush are probably much more appealing to potential sponsors than pro-teams. No risk of attaching your brand to a doper and your marketing campaign can reach a wider audience, not just those following mtb pro's.

Nedbank still sponsors Sani2C despite dropping Team-360 Life.

Agree, much more bang for your buck ito exposure / PR / goodwill. Its really is a no brainer ito ROI. Small part of me feel sorry for the up and coming youngsters but then, they need to go have a long chat with the previous generation as for why local pro contracts are scarce.

he does not seem to think too much of them

Career highlights: Absa Cape Epic African leader jersey 2007, 2009, Completed 10 x Absa Cape Epics, SA Cross Country Champion 2008, Sani2C Overall Winner 2007, 3 x Sabie Experience overall winner, 2013 Old Mutual Joberg2C Winner

must suck to be banned for life from the Cape Epic - bet he is going to SERIOUSLY regret this

If they don't get court the first time they got your number and they will find you, and there are more numbers out there.

If they don't get court the first time they got your number and they will find you, and there are more numbers out there.

Is BS taking them to court?

Hi Guys

Probably opening myself up to alot of abuse here, The worst thing to do is talk on this form but felt i owed the public something

. But long story short, I did take a banned substance, at the same time tried to work with SAIDS to get a TUE. The process took 6 months from start of application to final decision. Quite long to wait when rider contracts are only a year long.

Just to clear up you can apply for Testosterone TUE and race whilst using it. WADA explains the lot. But WADA, USADA and SAIDS are all kind of their own governing bodies and each have different criteria for certain rules and compliance's ect.

I got telephonic approval to go ahead with the treatment because I was told it was a long process and SAIDS could not refuse an athlete medical treatment if prescribed by a doctor. So I went ahead with the treatment it a testosterone Undeconate where you are positive for 6 months( we are tested every 2 weeks) all doping control tests were coming back negative and I was declaring the use of the substance at all times. It was a treatment plan for 6 months not to just carry on using it for the rest of my career.

When I made mention that I had taken the substance long before my positive test, no one said you are doing the wrong thing or you must stop racing. It actually came out in the hearing that when I sent that mail, THE CEO of SAIDS told the TUE administrator to ignore me...... Very strange... I Stopped the use of the substance on the 7th April and tested positive in July.

I had never had to deal with SAIDS with something like this before but believe it or not never really had any reason. So when I did have a reason it was new to me. I have been racing for years and should have known better or done more homework but I simply trusted SAIDS... (negligence on my part)

Through all of this people will say bla bla heard it all before and I dont think for one second that I should have got away scott free... I did deserve a sanction. But you get caught doping with EPO and get two years, Some guys get caught in a racing doping with testosterone and get 18 months.

Not for one second during the process did a think I could get away with using testosterone hence trying to do what I thought was right... If I was caught cheating I would have taken it on the chin and said sorry... But have spent the last 10 months of my life in hell trying to fight this thing.... I promise I wouldn't wish this situation which I to a certain extent put myself in, but none the less its been terrible.

I have a family, 2 kids and owned a team so I though i was doing the right thing.... Its been a huge muddle and hurt a lot of people. We have lost our whole team and sponsors, the sponsors supported me in the beginning because I had told them about my treatment before I did it and my whole family including extended family. Unfortunately cycling has that "image" and is in the spot light...Then Daryl's positive came out and then the sponsors said sorry cycling not for us to much admin. Bad image and maladministration. FedGroup even offered SAIDS funding to help speed up there TUE process and they didnt even respond??? TUE process is not simple its blood tests doctors reports GP and Endocrinologists.

My testo levels in Sep 2012 were 9 and then in Feb 2013 they were 10..... with Normal being between 12-18 and now after all the rigmarole I have been through you have to be below 8 to warrant treatment.. But can also receive treatment if symptomatic ( how we determine that is really hard) I was treated more for symptomatic as those where the symptoms I was displaying) on the 7th May 2013 I sent through more blood tests to show that my Testo levels were up to normal levels at 15.5. So was still within the range.....

So with all this said I would have to start from scratch again with a team and sponsors and even if I got a 12 month suspension would have thought it was fair,..... But to be labelled a cheat is hard and it was certainly not my intention. For those who talk about their kids... I also deal with my kids friends at school saying oh your dad got banned for drugs.... its tough but my doing so have to try and sit down and explain to my kids what happened. So those guys who say you have kids that look up to us riders or whatever I understand the disappointment....

I am saddened by this whole ordeal and will appeal at another hearing and if not favorable towards in in the terms of getting a reduction in sentence then I will take the case to CAS in Switzerland.

Sorry to those who feel I am a cheat and have disappointed I am sorry. To those who kind of understand and support me I thank you.

I am also not going to sit for days trying to defend myself against every persons judgement against me here on the form... And not looking for a sympathy card either... Just trying to say something from my point of view..

Cheers for now

Brandon

Hi Guys

Probably opening myself up to alot of abuse here, The worst thing to do is talk on this form but felt i owed the public something

. But long story short, I did take a banned substance, at the same time tried to work with SAIDS to get a TUE. The process took 6 months from start of application to final decision. Quite long to wait when rider contracts are only a year long.

Just to clear up you can apply for Testosterone TUE and race whilst using it. WADA explains the lot. But WADA, USADA and SAIDS are all kind of their own governing bodies and each have different criteria for certain rules and compliance's ect.

I got telephonic approval to go ahead with the treatment because I was told it was a long process and SAIDS could not refuse an athlete medical treatment if prescribed by a doctor. So I went ahead with the treatment it a testosterone Undeconate where you are positive for 6 months( we are tested every 2 weeks) all doping control tests were coming back negative and I was declaring the use of the substance at all times. It was a treatment plan for 6 months not to just carry on using it for the rest of my career.

When I made mention that I had taken the substance long before my positive test, no one said you are doing the wrong thing or you must stop racing. It actually came out in the hearing that when I sent that mail, THE CEO of SAIDS told the TUE administrator to ignore me...... Very strange... I Stopped the use of the substance on the 7th April and tested positive in July.

I had never had to deal with SAIDS with something like this before but believe it or not never really had any reason. So when I did have a reason it was new to me. I have been racing for years and should have known better or done more homework but I simply trusted SAIDS... (negligence on my part)

Through all of this people will say bla bla heard it all before and I dont think for one second that I should have got away scott free... I did deserve a sanction. But you get caught doping with EPO and get two years, Some guys get caught in a racing doping with testosterone and get 18 months.

Not for one second during the process did a think I could get away with using testosterone hence trying to do what I thought was right... If I was caught cheating I would have taken it on the chin and said sorry... But have spent the last 10 months of my life in hell trying to fight this thing.... I promise I wouldn't wish this situation which I to a certain extent put myself in, but none the less its been terrible.

I have a family, 2 kids and owned a team so I though i was doing the right thing.... Its been a huge muddle and hurt a lot of people. We have lost our whole team and sponsors, the sponsors supported me in the beginning because I had told them about my treatment before I did it and my whole family including extended family. Unfortunately cycling has that "image" and is in the spot light...Then Daryl's positive came out and then the sponsors said sorry cycling not for us to much admin. Bad image and maladministration. FedGroup even offered SAIDS funding to help speed up there TUE process and they didnt even respond??? TUE process is not simple its blood tests doctors reports GP and Endocrinologists.

My testo levels in Sep 2012 were 9 and then in Feb 2013 they were 10..... with Normal being between 12-18 and now after all the rigmarole I have been through you have to be below 8 to warrant treatment.. But can also receive treatment if symptomatic ( how we determine that is really hard) I was treated more for symptomatic as those where the symptoms I was displaying) on the 7th May 2013 I sent through more blood tests to show that my Testo levels were up to normal levels at 15.5. So was still within the range.....

So with all this said I would have to start from scratch again with a team and sponsors and even if I got a 12 month suspension would have thought it was fair,..... But to be labelled a cheat is hard and it was certainly not my intention. For those who talk about their kids... I also deal with my kids friends at school saying oh your dad got banned for drugs.... its tough but my doing so have to try and sit down and explain to my kids what happened. So those guys who say you have kids that look up to us riders or whatever I understand the disappointment....

I am saddened by this whole ordeal and will appeal at another hearing and if not favorable towards in in the terms of getting a reduction in sentence then I will take the case to CAS in Switzerland.

Sorry to those who feel I am a cheat and have disappointed I am sorry. To those who kind of understand and support me I thank you.

I am also not going to sit for days trying to defend myself against every persons judgement against me here on the form... And not looking for a sympathy card either... Just trying to say something from my point of view..

Cheers for now

Brandon

So in other words. . The whole thing was one monumental bugger up.

Oh one last question.. did you never think to check the guidlines to see at what levels your testosterone must be before a TUE was granted. And I take the lengthy ban is your actual issue here?

Edited by Gen

So in other words. . The whole thing was one monumental bugger up.

A triple mongolian cluster fark in my opinion.

Can't wait to hear what Khalid has to say on supercycling...

Sounds like a typical sporting body versus athlete disconnect.