Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Agree, cancell the race out of sympathy with, and respect for the people that lost a great deal of their lives in this disaster.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jip cancel it....our entrance fees can go towards the those who lost homes...the fire department ..besides the other charities..etc.Just sad to see all this devastation. .

Totally agree, I feel the aftermath of this tragic time is going to take a long time to get sorted out.

I hear Contantia is now being evacuated!

I was really looking forward to it, but with what has happened and out of respect, I would say cancel it and wait for next year. That we can all do coffee rides on sunday!

Jip cancel it....our entrance fees can go towards the those who lost homes...the fire department ..besides the other charities..etc.Just sad to see all this devastation. .

Truth is, there is more important things on the agenda. I'm sad - I've trained hard and really wanted to do well but people's lives have been adversely affected.

I say just Cancel the Tour, too much has been lost and out of respect for those trying to re-organise their lives I think it is only respectful to do so.

The whole vibe has been lost!

I personally don't even feel like doing it anymore with all this happening around us.

Worst case - it will be cancelled. Other international events and marathons have due to disaster and such.

I have the same sentiments - but, would we have the same feelings if this was a fire say in the george mountains ? I ask this because this is in our backyard. People from overseas. up north, Natal, Freestate etc might still be having the excited vibe feeling. Not wanting to stir - just provide another viewpoint.

Edit: I have run out of likes - and want to like all the posts above, but I dont have any left.

Happy to cancel it but they (CTCT management) MUST make a decision ASAP.

I will not be happy if I have to drive down for 15 hours and the tour is then cancelled and I have to drive back 15 hours the same day.

Just make a call and let it be.

I think the idea of giving our entry fees to the fire-fighters is BRILLIANT! 

Might not be the most popular email,  but I sent this to the tour info and media email address's after I spoke to the media office to offer words of encouragement. She sounded harassed and said the lines have been going non stop, almost to the point of cutting me off.

Dear Media and Info

This is an email of encouragement in this tricky time of having to decide what to do with the tour over the next few hours.

It would be completely be understandable if the tour was cancelled. It would be very hard to enjoy a ride when such destruction has occurred and might still well be occurring while we are riding. With all the destruction and people loosing homes, the vibe seems to be lost. It would almost be disrespectful to be enjoying ourselves.

Should the race be cancelled, I would gladly donate my entrance money to the volunteer wildfire services.

Best of luck in your decision.

Kind Regards

cleardot.gif

I think the idea of giving our entry fees to the fire-fighters is BRILLIANT! 

yeah, i'm really really liking the idea of a massive financial reward for the firefighters.

yeah, i'm really really liking the idea of a massive financial reward for the firefighters.

Me too....in addition to that I would like to see that the funds used to establish proper fire-breaks.....and other preventative measures...put in place..there was that fire in Jan 2000....now 15 years later again...nope we have to learn and be proactive.

That bird sanctuary in the Houtbay area, is that okay/safe?

I might be wrong but I recall on the news this morning a part of it burnt in the fire  :mellow:

That bird sanctuary in the Houtbay area, is that okay/safe?

Should be since it is on the other side of where the destruction currently is.

I might be wrong but I recall on the news this morning a part of it burnt in the fire  :mellow:

:mellow:

I used to stay there on Klein Leeukop in Mount Rhodes Drive.  So sad if this is true.

It is easy for your capetonians to say cancel the tour. I've already spend over R 10 000.00 on accommodation and airplane tickets, bike transport.

I understand that this is a major catastrophy, but cancelling the tour MUST be the last option. I will settle for a different/ shortened route, but not just sommer cancel it out of sympathy.

don't get me wrong, I really feel for the residents and fire-fighters and have already donate money to the special CTCT trust for this, but I want to ride. 

However, if the race has to be cancelled as a last resort I would understand. Its one of those things I guess. I would also agree that our entry fees be donated to the fire- fighters and people affected by this.

But again, it should be cancelled as a last option. not out of sympathy.

Might not be the most popular email,  but I sent this to the tour info and media email address's after I spoke to the media office to offer words of encouragement. She sounded harassed and said the lines have been going non stop, almost to the point of cutting me off.

Dear Media and Info

This is an email of encouragement in this tricky time of having to decide what to do with the tour over the next few hours.

It would be completely be understandable if the tour was cancelled. It would be very hard to enjoy a ride when such destruction has occurred and might still well be occurring while we are riding. With all the destruction and people loosing homes, the vibe seems to be lost. It would almost be disrespectful to be enjoying ourselves.

Should the race be cancelled, I would gladly donate my entrance money to the volunteer wildfire services.

Best of luck in your decision.

Kind Regards

cleardot.gif

Well said!

Please bear in mind that the CTCT is a Trust event and generates around R45 million which is reinvested into the community already!

Cancelling the tour will have a massive negative impact on a number of organisations which rely heavily on the funds from the cycle tour. I understand the viewpoint of cancelling and donating to the Firefighters, however I don't believe this is an option. Rather contribute to the fund set up already by CTCT specifically for SANparks and Volunteer Firefighters.

Archived