PowerTap / meters

Marius

I can vouch for the Cyclingpeaks software too. It is excellent. You should also get the book "Training & Racing with a power meter" by Coggan & Hunt. It is available on Kalahari.net.

Then if you really want to go the whole hog subscribe to the Bikemax online system. The cycling peaks software uploads to their system seamlessly and they then adjust your training program based on your goals and data.

Some people can successfully compile their own training plans but I find that it is always better to have someone else analysing your data objectively (hey Bruce Wink)' date=' and besides you know that someone is watching how well you are adhering to your plan so it gives you that added impetus to JUST DO IT despite the weather etc.

[/quote']

Thanks for the support WB Big%20smile

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the news about that new power meter that you must enter your weight and it then calculate the power taking into calculation the wind' date=' gradient, speed and you weight? There was a thread about it a while ago. Much less expensive and not to unaccurate.[/quote']

The iBike - uses a wind sensor along with various altimeters and accelerometers to calculate your power.  Major drawback, does not work on an indoor trainer, and for targeted interval training, and indoor is the only way to reproduce the situation properly.

The iBike - uses a wind sensor along with various altimeters and accelerometers to calculate your power.  Major drawback' date=' does not work on an indoor trainer, and for targeted interval training, and indoor is the only way to reproduce the situation properly.

[/Quote']

If you are looking for an inexpensive solution then I would go with the Polar power sensor, it is ungainly, dificult to install, doesn't work so well on an indoor trainer but it is cheap and does do the job on the road. Especially if you already have a compatible watch / hr monitor. One major benefit is that it does present the altitude data with the power - good for isolating sections of a ride.

But I replaced mine with a PT and have never looked back - except that I miss the altitude data.

If you are looking for an inexpensive solution then I would go with the Polar power sensor' date=' it is ungainly, dificult to install, doesn't work so well on an indoor trainer but it is cheap and does do the job on the road. Especially if you already have a compatible watch / hr monitor. One major benefit is that it does present the altitude data with the power - good for isolating sections of a ride.

But I replaced mine with a PT and have never looked back - except that I miss the altitude data.
[/quote']

I heard a chap from Polar say it's in-accurate... Confused and besides it looks terrible but yeah... if you really looking to save money and go the cheap route this would be the way to go. If you looking at a 6 week break off the bike buy the Polar Power meter. Big%20smile

Ihave to thank BikeMax (peter wright) for assistance in the Power meter decision.

I have been using a Tacx I-magic it's a notoriously unreliable device. CH have now provide me with Fortuis software for it and as soon as I have my upgraded PC I will install and start using it again.

However, an On the bike Power meter has obvious benefits for every ride I do. It's easier to stay in the correct training zones once you understand the whole power training philosophy.

I loked at Ergomo, Powertap and even SRM and was prepared to drop the cash on SRM.

But it's expensive and although the temperature sensitivity is not an issue in South Africa, the Powertap concept just seemed to be a better route.

Ergomo would be brilliant for an MTB since the SRM MTB Power meter cranks are about R25K!!!

I'd vote for Powertap on a road bike in conjunction with a copy of Racing and training with  power Meter by Coggan and Allen.

It's not an easy rad though and I'm very technically minded :/

Ihave to thank BikeMax (peter wright) for assistance in the Power meter decision.

Big%20smile No problem.

The Coggan / Allen book is top class.

I have been using a Tacx I-magic it's a notoriously unreliable device. CH have now provide me with Fortuis software for it and as soon as I have my upgraded PC I will install and start using it again.

Lefty, Is the Fortius Software much better? Who or what is CH?

Big%20smile No problem.

It sure is,

But it's like a Science text book. You don't get to the bottom of the whole story till you've read it the 2nd time :)

I've got a copy of Joe Friels: The Cyclist training Bible as well.

Once I've digested both I reckon I could BS my through life as a top class coach :) and not have to endure the sacrifice youmade hey Peter?

Big%20smile No problem.

It sure is' date='

But it's like a Science text book. You don't get to the bottom of the whole story till you've read it the 2nd time :)

I've got a copy of Joe Friels: The Cyclist training Bible as well.

Once I've digested both I reckon I could BS my through life as a top class coach :) and not have to endure the sacrifice youmade hey Peter?

[/quote']

Friel is a bit outdated now but is a good starting point..

No sacrifices (except financial) - it's a passion Big%20smile

...no fatty, then I might get a coach, a good one so I can kick your butt, but I don't think I'll need to go that far..LOL

What if Fatty beats you after you get the PT Marius? What is next?

then he'll have to start coming to killarney and racing in scratch (and having fun with liberty riders:)
ZippIt2006-09-21 07:06:59

Would you say its better to go the whole hog and get the new wireless powertap or try and get a second hand SL if you just starting out? Also..does anyone know if a powertap hub will fit on a campag nucleon wheel?