PowerTap / meters

Marius

Sooo, I'm thinking of crossing over to darkSide=PowerTraining. Any1 out there also training with power?

Is is worth the money, will I see the benifits?

Can one get away with just getting a stationary PowerBike or would a PowerMeter on the bike be better.

Polar vs Power tap, any1 anything? thx!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo' date=' I'm thinking of crossing over to darkSide=PowerTraining. Any1 out there also training with power?

Is is worth the money, will I see the benifits?

Can one get away with just getting a stationary PowerBike or would a PowerMeter on the bike be better.

Polar vs Power tap, any1 anything? thx!
[/quote']

I have mailed you some info Big%20smile

Due to the launch of the new PT wireless, now is a good time to look for a S/H PT SL as guys look to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Marius: my belief is that if you are going to move to training with power, you should go the whole way - i.e. you should have a power meter on your bike every time you ride - including racing.

When you start to see how you can manage your training load etc and see exactly how you performed, not how you think you performed, then you want the info to be complete.  There is great software that does a lot of the clever stuff for you, but the data needs to be complete.  If you aren't prepared to have a PM on your bike at all times, then the best thing is to use power to assess your progress once a month, then you can get away with using an indoor trainer with a power meter - as long as it is exactly the same every time you test yourself.

edit: adding to this, if you have an indoor trainer with a power meter you can also use it to do training targeted at specific levels a lot more accurately.  It is amazing the difference between riding an interval at a constant power rather than a constant HR - your start out thinking it is too easy, and you end up biting the handlebars!!  Whereas with constant HR you start out too hard and the power drops off towards the end.
bruce2006-09-21 01:21:07

Thx Bruce, I'm getting the PowerTap SL as soon as the LBS gets the right lenth of spokes in. The software you are talking about, is that "shareware" or do you have to buy it? Marius2006-09-21 01:21:40

Jason: Marius has developed an issue because I happened to beat him in one race, and is now throwing money at the problem LOL

That said, if I had his disposable income, I would also have a Powertap or SRM Embarrassed

Thx Bruce' date=' I'm getting the PowerTap SL as soon as the LBS gets the right lenth of spokes in. The software you are talking about, is that "shareware" or do you have to buy it? [/quote']

Cyclingpeaks - cost you $99 - but in terms of info, it is the most important cost associated with power training.

What about the SRM component that sits by the Cranks? With this you won't have to buy Power meters for both sets of wheels racing/training.

There are pros and cons with all the various PM's on the market.  SRM allows you to change wheels but not bikes, PT allows you to change bikes but not wheels.

SRM is significantly more expensive than PT.

Ergomo is a newcomer which seems to be causing a bit of a stir - bit more expensive than PT and replaces the BB on your bike.  Functionality is very rich with ergomo.

LOL funny fatty,? not only that the SV's are strong(er) and my way of training is just not good enough anymore, I have to start ?real training? so I have decided to take a more scientific approach, nothing wrong with that.Embarrassed

Jason: I don't know much about the SRM but I'm told it's much more expensive. Do any1 know how much more expensive it is than the PowerTap SL?? and if it?s even worth considering? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

SRM is about R20k for the pro version - about R30k for the Dura Ace version if I remember correctly.  DA version would allow pretty quick changing between bikes due to the outboard bearings.

I can vouch for the Cyclingpeaks software too. It is excellent. You should also get the book "Training & Racing with a power meter" by Coggan & Hunt. It is available on Kalahari.net.

Then if you really want to go the whole hog subscribe to the Bikemax online system. The cycling peaks software uploads to their system seamlessly and they then adjust your training program based on your goals and data.

Some people can successfully compile their own training plans but I find that it is always better to have someone else analysing your data objectively (hey Bruce Wink), and besides you know that someone is watching how well you are adhering to your plan so it gives you that added impetus to JUST DO IT despite the weather etc.

Well for me if I had the cash like Marius... I would opt for the SRM, simply because I like to train on the bike I race on there for the SRM would be my choice... but then again if I had the money like Marius it wouldn't really matter, either get the SRM or get 2 powertaps for the training and racing wheels...and then again if I had the money like Marius... Tongue

SRM Amateur = 1995 Euros
SRM Professional = 2668 Euros

What Powertap are you looking at Marius?

For sure, it's better to work with a coach/trainer.  Sometimes you get a bit to close to the data to see the information!!

Hopefully as power training becomes more established the community will become bigger.

I never have a self-motivation problem - I find I stick to a plan that I designed as well as one that a coach designed.  I just like to have a good understanding so that I can build in the flexibility that I need to juggle all the aspects of my life and still get the results I want.

But yes, having someone else check you out and tell you that you are slacking off is always a good thing!

Well for me if I had the cash like Marius... I would opt for the SRM' date=' simply because I like to train on the bike I race on there for the SRM would be my choice... but then again if I had the money like Marius it wouldn't really matter, either get the SRM or get 2 powertaps for the training and racing wheels...and then again if I had the money like Marius... Tongue

SRM Amateur = 1995 Euros
SRM Professional = 2668 Euros

What Powertap are you looking at Marius?
[/quote']

The SRM is a good product but it tends to require a fair bit more attention to keep it on track. It is very sensitive to temperature changes and as such requires you to "acclimatise" your bike if it is cold or hot outside. The price also makes it a very expensive choice - a good wheel built into a light rim with light spokes with a PTSL is absolutely fine to race and train with.

What is the news about that new power meter that you must enter your weight and it then calculate the power taking into calculation the wind, gradient, speed and you weight? There was a thread about it a while ago. Much less expensive and not to unaccurate.