Arch or Flow Rims?

MphatiPyga

Taken the plunge and getting the Arch changed to Flow, then I will just let my gonads grow into them. Should make my Trance even more bomb proof!! Must say the Flow combined with the 140 Revalation makes more sense :w00t:

Finally, an OP with some sense!

I have a standard Flow as my back wheel rim. The tyre stays on - no burping or air leaks and as a result the rim is still perfect. Nothing worse than a rim that bleeds air or burps tyres off and the Stans system seems to work as advertised. Same tyre with a different rim and it leaked all the time.

I put FlowEX on my Pyga One Ten a few months back. Love the width, combined with my 2.25 Ardent LUST's, and will be even better when i pop a 2.4 on the front :-)

I put FlowEX on my Pyga One Ten a few months back. Love the width, combined with my 2.25 Ardent LUST's, and will be even better when i pop a 2.4 on the front :-)

Hell Pyga and Flow in one sentence so it must be right, my dream bike :drool:

I would LOVE to put FLOW's on my Pyga... When my ARCHEs give in ;)

In my experience, you can't go wrong with the Arch EX's, running them with a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 back and Ardent 2.25 front. Ride some pretty rocky terrain here in the State of the Free and no issues!

I would LOVE to put FLOW's on my Pyga... When my ARCHEs give in ;)

I would simply love a Pyga, regardless of the rims!!

Love my Zula though, so can't be unfaithfull, too soon in the relationship........

• 2 weeks later...

You haven't mentioned what bike you are riding, wheel size, tyres. These all make a huge difference when making a decision like this.

For the 90g weight penalty, just stick with the bombproof stuff. Beats having to belt the dents out of your rims on every ride.

Also, big tyres on 25mm rims are BIG. And stable. And are more difficult to unseat or burp on the trail.

You'll save the 90g if you clip your toenails before a ride.

I have over 10 000km on my Flow 29er rims and have never burped them or had to true them. I run really low pressures and have dinged my rear wheel on rocks plenty of times but have no dents to show for it. I run 2.25Nobby Nic front and 2.25 Ardent rear. Awesome combo.

I don't see any mention of tyre pressure? Whether one uses Arch or Flow rims, if your tyre pressure is too low for your body weight and speed flying down a rocky descent, then your rim will be dented. Particularly the rear wheel.

Taken the plunge and getting the Arch changed to Flow, then I will just let my gonads grow into them. Should make my Trance even more bomb proof!! Must say the Flow combined with the 140 Revalation makes more sense :w00t:

I think great move. The support these will give your tires is next level. The wider rim gives the tire a wider/squarer profile and allows even lower pressures. This results in truly impressive grip. Good choice. Also Flow EX rims are narrow in vertical profile, as such, it is very rare to have a rock strike the rim, and pinchflat type issues are reduced - in my experience.

I am 105kg without all the gear, and have been abusing my Flow EX for around 4 months now with absolutely no issues so far. 

Edited by Big John

You haven't mentioned what bike you are riding, wheel size, tyres. These all make a huge difference when making a decision like this.

On a Trance 29er with 140 revalation and XX1, Spez Purgatory up front and ground control back. The Flows are on and loving them, just seem to hold lines better and none of the flexy feeling I had at the back in the gnarly sections, is rather confidence boosting I must say!

I don't see any mention of tyre pressure? Whether one uses Arch or Flow rims, if your tyre pressure is too low for your body weight and speed flying down a rocky descent, then your rim will be dented. Particularly the rear wheel.

True, but wider rims allow you to run lower pressures without bottoming. Lower pressure = more grip.