Trail dogs....

Raydek

Trail dogs... Yay or Nay  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Trail dogs... Yay or Nay

• They ARE NOT allowed on trails and I'm good with that.
    • They ARE NOT allowed on trails and that sucks.
    • They ARE allowed on trails and I'm good with that.
    • They ARE allowed on trails and that sucks.

Have you maybe considered going the rescue route? I did recently, got a Collie cross something and a ridgeback cross a whole lot of things...proper squatter dog, but they both have the most amazing characters and are brilliant off the leash. I think it's just a viable option these days with so many dogs needing a home...sorry don't mean to jump on a soapbox at all, but just a thought....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you maybe considered going the rescue route? I did recently, got a Collie cross something and a ridgeback cross a whole lot of things...proper squatter dog, but they both have the most amazing characters and are brilliant off the leash. I think it's just a viable option these days with so many dogs needing a home...sorry don't mean to jump on a soapbox at all, but just a thought....

Yes, have also been considering it, the one down side is you don't know how the dog has been brought up and what bad habits it has gotten into. How easy is it to get rid of said traits?

I've had my Viszla for 9 months now and its probably the best dog for my lifestyle. 70% of the day you can find him sleeping on a couch somewhere (like attached) but when he wakes up he I is really keen to do stuff. Very clever dogs and easily trainable. He can do long distances easy so for an active person thats nice. We had a weimaraner before him and although we loved him, he was too hiper the first 4 years of his life but then matured, where the Viszla is more manageable. Also the perfect size for transporting in a car....

wow what a dog.

This may have been the day that Frank decided to roll in a Vagrants 'soft thorn'

It was not an awesome car trip home.

Yeah, there was an abundance of hobo hot-cakes in that area. And everyone who knows Frank, will know that those are his kryptonite.

That said, when one rolled through a squishy and afterwards was able to assertain that it was canine, a huge sigh of relief followed.

Welcome to the Spruit! :lol:

Yeah, there was an abundance of hobo hot-cakes in that area. And everyone who knows Frank, will know that those are his kryptonite.

That said, when one rolled through a squishy and afterwards was able to assertain that it was canine, a huge sigh of relief followed.

Welcome to the Spruit! :lol:

Just a question, how do you ascertain that it's canine?

i am all for dogs! ride with mine on the spruit and mpumalanga all the time - great fun. i have a German Shorthaired Pointer and English Pointer.

Just a question, how do you ascertain that it's canine?

having had the unfortunate experience of landing on a sadza-sausage while dirt jumping, I can tell you that the homosapein variety hit the gag-reflexes 10 times harder.

If it's not canine... you'll know! Trust me! :nuke: :wacko:

I'd go the collie route, bigger dogs often have joint problems especially if they're very active. Wish I had the space and time for a collie.

i am all for dogs! ride with mine on the spruit and mpumalanga all the time - great fun. i have a German Shorthaired Pointer and English Pointer.

Do they work, point, I mean? There are very few things a beautiful as to see them run and zoom in on scent, then stop dead and point. There is nothing on earth more focused than a pointer pointing :)

I've had my Viszla for 9 months now and its probably the best dog for my lifestyle. 70% of the day you can find him sleeping on a couch somewhere (like attached) but when he wakes up he I is really keen to do stuff. Very clever dogs and easily trainable. He can do long distances easy so for an active person thats nice. We had a weimaraner before him and although we loved him, he was too hiper the first 4 years of his life but then matured, where the Viszla is more manageable. Also the perfect size for transporting in a car....

I would love to have a Viszla myself, and for a self confessed serial Lab owner, that statement says a lot! Great picture, I can see it was taken in your Hungarian castle under Prince Vlads' painting! :thumbup: ;)

Labralas

Labrador Retriever / Vizsla Hybrid Dogs

The Labralas is not a purebred dog. It is a cross between the Labrador Retriever and the Vizsla.

Yes, have also been considering it, the one down side is you don't know how the dog has been brought up and what bad habits it has gotten into. How easy is it to get rid of said traits?

All 7 of our dogs are rescues. If you can help it don't buy from the Greeders. Speak to Border Collie Rescue if you are keen and they will assist you as much as they can. Or any of the various rescue groups for the different breeds.http://www.bordercollierescue.co.za/

I would love to have a Viszla myself, and for a self confessed serial Lab owner, that statement says a lot! Great picture, I can see it was taken in your Hungarian castle under Prince Vlads' painting! :thumbup: ;)

Ha ha yes he is THE prince of the castle. That is his self proclaimed throne!

Archived