Bad service resolved!

slakke3

Just want to share my experience...

Bought my first Momsen in 2011 the AL329 as I only started mountain biking. Was quite impressed with our South African brand and eager to support them.

This year in January I bought myself the X-AL (Big guy bike) Advertised as the one for the manne as I weigh about 116kg and 1.94m tall.

First issue with the bike was the bottom bracket which was in the first two weeks of me purchasing the bike(not a momsen issue).

Next was the back wheel hitting the frame as I cornered .I then had my wheel trued twice at different bike shops with no change.

The Sram X9 front derailer that sits on the back of the down tube was millimeters away from the back wheel . This caused the smallest strain of grass and mud to get stuck and felt like I was riding with my handbrake on!! The X9 was then replaced with a X5

About 3 weeks ago I went for a morning ride and I hear weird noises coming from the bike and behold…………the dreaded crack in my frame. With this all happening Karoo 2 Coast is just a few weeks away, my first one for that matter!!

I phoned my LBS where bike was purchased and said there should be no problem with Momsen replacing the frame. About a week and a half of hearing nothing I phoned Momsen Head Office in PE to hear if they would honor their warranty. The person I spoke to said if the X-AL frame did not last for me their Normal frames won’t last either.

Only after phoning Momsen for the second time my LBS phoned me and this is what Momsen is offering me:

R2000 credit with my LBS(to buy a new frame anybody that knows of a good NEW XL frame in this price bracket please contact me asap)

Or the2014 AL 529 frame.

Apart from looking a hell of a lot better the X-AL has a Thru Axle frame is Alloy 7000 butted tube set with internal routing.

post-28216-0-54096200-1410186473_thumb.jpg

VS the AL 529 (which according to Momsen HO won’t last either)

6061 butted Alloy with standard quick release hubs and no internal routing.

This means if I choose the AL529 I have to pay to get the conversion done.

post-28216-0-03638900-1410186523_thumb.jpg

Just have to throw a spanner into the works my wife her friend and my sister all bought Momsens in bringing our count of Momsens bought to 5.

I am now looking at the Merida big nine 1000 lite frame . It goes for about R5000. The reason for Merida is all the bike shops I phoned said if I had a Merida I would have had a new frame in two days.

The biggest issue for me is I am not getting what I paid for.I do not want to bad mouth Momsen

as I was more then happy with my first bike.I just expected better from SA s leading bike company.

Needless to say after this we are all cured of Momsen fever due to their (lack off) customer service.

Edited by slakke3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then get a set of TA Sliding Dropouts for the STR29: http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=ISA8

If you know someone who can machine such sliding dropouts I will be very interested. Note that these guys have the detailed drawings on their website.

I'm not as big as you (about 94kg and 1.82m tall), but I have broken an alloy Silverback frame, part of the reason why I switched to the Momsen steel frame.

But no XL

I'm usually on a Large, but the ST-R29 is quite big, so I got a Medium which fits perfectly.

Just state the size in Inches (like 19")

Edited by johanpre44

I have a buddy that bought a momsen, cant remember which model, think it was the 429. He was 103kg (2.03m), after something like 2 weeks he gave the bike back to the bike shop as the bike was more there then at his house.

Every time something else went wrong. And not to dis the make but its quite a reputable bike shop in durbanville so it can't be their work that was crap.

He ended up buying a bergamont and has not had an issue with it and the bike almost 6 months old now.

And on that, i ride a 2012 Giant XTC, the heaviest i have been is 128kg on the bike. Currently in low 120s and I have no issues. I did replace the original XTC wheels with the anthem wheels (DT Swiss hubs back and front) but i only ever had one spoke break on me.

Like i said my Momsen al329 2011 lasted for 3years and back then I was 123kg .I understand all bike manufacturers has had cracked frames.My problem is I paid R17500 (normal price R22000) for a bike.Now I have no bike and have R2000 to sort it out myself.

The MERIDA BIG NINE 1000 LITE selling for R15000 +- also has thru axle and internal routing and the frame sells for R4800.

So now I have to pay an extra R2800 to have something close to what I had.

A Momrida!!!

Only after phoning Momsen for the second time my LBS phoned me and this is what Momsen is offering me:

R2000 credit with my LBS(to buy a new frame anybody that knows of a good NEW XL frame in this price bracket please contact me asap)

R2000 credit? The **** is that supposed to help with? At the very least put it towards legal fees and get the ball rolling.

So I am assuming this is the Momsen factory in Port Elizabeth or...? edit: oh wait, Western Cape. My bad

Anyways, this utter bulldung is unacceptable. They sold you the bike meaning they advised on a frame and that the frame failing is their mistake for poor advice. A full refund is in order, hoping that you can replace it with a bike that is more appropriate before your race.

Goodluck sir.

Edited by Dirkitect