Bad service resolved!

slakke3

Sad for Momsen that one of their retailers has to step in.

sounds as if there is am manufacturing design flaw with the frame in question. I had a 1998 or so Giant ATX 890. It got hammered for 8 years, had dents in it all over and was still going strong when it was stolen earlier this year. I weigh 80kg but 80kg for 8 years is a long time for an ali frame.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slakke 3. Please contact me. I am sure that although you did not buy the Momsen from us we will be able to solve this problem for you.

You cant sit without a bike so long.

Even if you are not able to get a better result I take my hat off to you guys for being willing to help.

Nice one CWC! Just bought myself a Momsen frame and I'm sure my LBS would have sorted this problem out in no time. Take CWC up on their offer Slakke3.

Our Policy:

WARRANTY

At MOMSEN BIKES we understand how important the warranty and back-up service of all our products are.

Working with only the best suppliers and frame/component manufacturers, we are confident that our products can perform at the level of their intended useage.

MOMSEN BIKES offers the following warranty on the related parts:

• Alloy Frames - 5 years from date of purchase
  • Carbon Frames – 3 years from date of purchase ( see below added information with regards to Carbon Frames )
  • Suspension Frames – 3 years from date of purchase
  • Original parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - All original parts on the bicycle are warranted for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
  • Original Drivetrain parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - In the case of wear and tear parts, only three months warranty applies, unless otherwise specified by original manufacturer.
  • Paint Finish and Decals – our paint work / finish and decals are warranted for one year
  • Suspension Units – Front and Rear – these shall be covered by the warranty of the original manufacturer and their related policies

Conditions:

• Warranty applies only to the original owner and is not transferrable. ( proof of purchase has to be provided on presentation of the claim )
  • All claims must be presented to an authorised MOMSEN BIKES dealer.
  • Warranty is against defects in materials and workmanship in the product.
  • The repair or replacement of the effected part is the sole remedy of the warranty
  • Warranty does not apply when damage is caused by improper assembly/tightening or over-torqueing of parts on the frame. Eg. Seatclamps, front derailleurs, seatposts, stems, bottle cages etc
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the bicycle or any part thereof has been incorrectly assembled
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the frame, fork or any of the original components on the bicycle have been modified in any way
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the product is deemed to have been abused and/or neglected
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the product has been involved in any kind of accident – both during use or non-use
  • Warranty claim is null and void if there has been improper follow-up maintenance
  • Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear
  • Warranty claim is null and void if there has been an installation of parts or accessories not originally intended or compatible with bicycle as sold
  • Warranty claim is at the sole discretion of MOMSEN BIKES
  • Warranty does not cover any labor charges for part replacement or changeover

Carbon Frames and Loyalty Replacement Option:

• Our carbon frames are tested to the highest standards.
  • However, should you have a fall or crash that results in an impact to the carbon material – the frame can become damaged.
  • Should you have an accident with your frame, we recommend that you to take it to your nearest authorized MOMSEN BIKES dealer and have them inspect and check the frame for any structural damage.
  • Should you find any cracks of signs of damage you should stop riding the bicycle immediately.

The following are key areas to check and points to take note of:

• Any external dents or cracks could be a sign of damage
  • Any fraying of material or visible distortion of an area
  • Improper assembly and clamping in key areas like the seattube and downtube can cause cracks or damage to the material
  • Over tightening of Seatclamps / Front Derailleur Clamps and Waterbottle Cage bolts could result in damage to the frame
  • The above are deemed either accident damage or improper assembly/maintenance/adjustment and are not covered by warranty

We do understand that the cost of replacing a non-warranty damaged frame can be a financial burden and therefore offer any customer who has purchased their frame within the 2 year period ( from date of purchase ) the option to purchase a replacement frame at a reduced price. Please consult with your nearest MOMSEN BIKES dealer for further details.

MOMSEN BIKES reserves the right to make changes at any time , without notice, in specifications, prices, models, decals, materials, colour and appearance of our products.

So my point is how do we know if our LBS has correctly assemebled the bike? Basicaly Momsen has covered their side. They can just say that "sorry the bike was not properly assembeled". We pay alot of money for these bikes or for some of us it is a lot of money. They only offered you R2000 this is not right I am sure there is a way around this.

Our Policy:

WARRANTY

At MOMSEN BIKES we understand how important the warranty and back-up service of all our products are.

Working with only the best suppliers and frame/component manufacturers, we are confident that our products can perform at the level of their intended useage.

MOMSEN BIKES offers the following warranty on the related parts:

• Alloy Frames - 5 years from date of purchase
  • Carbon Frames – 3 years from date of purchase ( see below added information with regards to Carbon Frames )
  • Suspension Frames – 3 years from date of purchase
  • Original parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - All original parts on the bicycle are warranted for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
  • Original Drivetrain parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - In the case of wear and tear parts, only three months warranty applies, unless otherwise specified by original manufacturer.
  • Paint Finish and Decals – our paint work / finish and decals are warranted for one year
  • Suspension Units – Front and Rear – these shall be covered by the warranty of the original manufacturer and their related policies

Conditions:

• Warranty applies only to the original owner and is not transferrable. ( proof of purchase has to be provided on presentation of the claim )
  • All claims must be presented to an authorised MOMSEN BIKES dealer.
  • Warranty is against defects in materials and workmanship in the product.
  • The repair or replacement of the effected part is the sole remedy of the warranty
  • Warranty does not apply when damage is caused by improper assembly/tightening or over-torqueing of parts on the frame. Eg. Seatclamps, front derailleurs, seatposts, stems, bottle cages etc
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the bicycle or any part thereof has been incorrectly assembled
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the frame, fork or any of the original components on the bicycle have been modified in any way
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the product is deemed to have been abused and/or neglected
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the product has been involved in any kind of accident – both during use or non-use
  • Warranty claim is null and void if there has been improper follow-up maintenance
  • Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear
  • Warranty claim is null and void if there has been an installation of parts or accessories not originally intended or compatible with bicycle as sold
  • Warranty claim is at the sole discretion of MOMSEN BIKES
  • Warranty does not cover any labor charges for part replacement or changeover

Carbon Frames and Loyalty Replacement Option:

• Our carbon frames are tested to the highest standards.
  • However, should you have a fall or crash that results in an impact to the carbon material – the frame can become damaged.
  • Should you have an accident with your frame, we recommend that you to take it to your nearest authorized MOMSEN BIKES dealer and have them inspect and check the frame for any structural damage.
  • Should you find any cracks of signs of damage you should stop riding the bicycle immediately.

The following are key areas to check and points to take note of:

• Any external dents or cracks could be a sign of damage
  • Any fraying of material or visible distortion of an area
  • Improper assembly and clamping in key areas like the seattube and downtube can cause cracks or damage to the material
  • Over tightening of Seatclamps / Front Derailleur Clamps and Waterbottle Cage bolts could result in damage to the frame
  • The above are deemed either accident damage or improper assembly/maintenance/adjustment and are not covered by warranty

We do understand that the cost of replacing a non-warranty damaged frame can be a financial burden and therefore offer any customer who has purchased their frame within the 2 year period ( from date of purchase ) the option to purchase a replacement frame at a reduced price. Please consult with your nearest MOMSEN BIKES dealer for further details.

MOMSEN BIKES reserves the right to make changes at any time , without notice, in specifications, prices, models, decals, materials, colour and appearance of our products.

So my point is how do we know if our LBS has correctly assemebled the bike? Basicaly Momsen has covered their side. They can just say that "sorry the bike was not properly assembeled". We pay alot of money for these bikes or for some of us it is a lot of money. They only offered you R2000 this is not right I am sure there is a way around this.

What about steel frames??

Build it yourself and use a torque wrench. Then you can be sure. Of course how do you prove it. Therein lies the rub. Now you've gotta take pictures of the torque wrench every time you tighten a bolt. Or you could buy a steel frame.

Build it yourself and use a torque wrench. Then you can be sure. Of course how do you prove it. Therein lies the rub. Now you've gotta take pictures of the torque wrench every time you tighten a bolt. Or you could buy a steel frame.
Catch 22 indeed.....Think when I take my new Momsen Al529 for its 1st service in a couple of weeks, I am going to ask the Bike shop to put it in writing that they have assembled the bike to Momsen specifications. Edited by hansiemyburgh

If I buy a BMW, I complain at the BMW dealership. I can't complain at the Head Office in Munich. The Dealer is where my money went to. The warranty is honoured through the dealer and manufacturer. And that is how I read the warranty conditions that was posted here. Who was the LBS that was concerned? Surely some of the blame/flaming should go their side for this? The LBS is the one that should work for the customer in these matters, solve it with the manufacturer. Well, that is my understanding.

:huh:... :eek:...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edge

agree, the OP's deal/sale was with the LBS, but at some point if you don't get joy from them then I'd also go to the brand owner,

On your car analogy I've had exactly that, where the local dealer/workshop could not get a problem resolved, in the end I contacted the brand customer call centre, got them involved and they got Europe involved and the problem was resolved.

In this case, it's not the LBS who's damage is really getting hurt, it's Momsen, the OP is not getting joy from the LBS so I'd done the same and approached the Momsen/PE and seen if they can step in and assist.

my 1/2 cent worth.

G

Thanks, Awesme. I know what you're saying. It seems like a sticky situation for all concerned. I'll stick to my bicycle and pedal it hard after work this evening :-)

If I buy a BMW, I complain at the BMW dealership. I can't complain at the Head Office in Munich. The Dealer is where my money went to. The warranty is honoured through the dealer and manufacturer. And that is how I read the warranty conditions that was posted here. Who was the LBS that was concerned? Surely some of the blame/flaming should go their side for this? The LBS is the one that should work for the customer in these matters, solve it with the manufacturer. Well, that is my understanding.

And your understanding would be correct. I am a customer of the shop, who is a customer of the supplier.

If I buy from a shop I couldn't care less what the product's head office has to say - I didn't buy it from them.

If I buy a complete, assembled bicycle from a shop and warranty is void due to over tightening or wrong doing on the shop's part, then the shop has to sort me out regardless of what the particular HQ has to say for themselves.

It's easy to flame (good to see good comments here re Scott and Giant as there are plenty of threads flaming them too) and give your side of it, but there's the shop's side (for all we know they are advising Momsen) and there's Momsen side of it.

We know one side.

Good on CWC for stepping to the plate. To the OP, you shouldn't have needed to phone Momsen yourself. Your LBS should've had you covered either way.

Edge

agree, the OP's deal/sale was with the LBS, but at some point if you don't get joy from them then I'd also go to the brand owner,

On your car analogy I've had exactly that, where the local dealer/workshop could not get a problem resolved, in the end I contacted the brand customer call centre, got them involved and they got Europe involved and the problem was resolved.

In this case, it's not the LBS who's damage is really getting hurt, it's Momsen, the OP is not getting joy from the LBS so I'd done the same and approached the Momsen/PE and seen if they can step in and assist.

my 1/2 cent worth.

G

Correct, and right on you for taking things further. But again, you should not have needed to.