The Man With no Chain

Cruz Addict

this refutes any skills vs fitness debate ever

I agree to a point but you have to be pretty fit just to hang on to a bike down a hill. even without peddling.

But Yea, that was an impressive run, shows just how steep those tracks are.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cant remember when last I rode my bike without a chain but I would think its seriously off putting with no resistance against my feet....?

Absolutely. Few people realise how much riding gnarly stuff at speed kills your body.

I learned that at Mankele. I found I had to slow down a few times because I had a stitch and I was barely pedaling. I've never had a stitch from xc style stuff. You work the whole time. Its amazing though I'd never experienced such a state of bliss on a mountain bike. It gave me the feeling I've only ever had rock climbing at the edge of my ability. Loved every second of it.

He should've inverted his number - rookie mistake to have a 13 right side up on a bike.

Isn't there a list of rules including this one somewhere on the hub? Clearly he isn't a member...

Absolutely. Few people realise how much riding gnarly stuff at speed kills your body.

I learnt this very quickly after doing a shuttle day at Contermanskloof, countless downhill runs with not needing to pedal back to the top.. I was knackered of note the next day, more so than when riding the loop twice on my own steam, muscles hurt I never even knew existed..

Saying that - the bits of Hill's run that WERE good (incl the bits after the stack) were just amazing. He had them all, incl Josh.

Sacrilege and swearing.....take that back!

I agree to a point but you have to be pretty fit just to hang on to a bike down a hill. even without peddling.

But Yea, that was an impressive run, shows just how steep those tracks are.

Also shows how much faster a rider can be when the pressure is suddenly off and the need to retain maximum momentum is required.

Everyone should give chain less downhill rides a shot, it changes the way you see a trail entirely

He must have been super efficient. Also shows that being fast has everything to do with maximum exit speed, making the most of the terrain and not just going fast in straight lines. Brilliant effort on his part.

For those who think that pumping the terrain to gain speed is effortless, i would suggest a pumptrack session of 3 or 4 minutes... This would give you a very basic idea. It is flippen hard work.

Sacrilege and swearing.....take that back!

i think armpies was saying that sam and josh were on a par in terms of speed and smoothness. By my calcs...josh was up on sam by almost a sec at that speed trap split (the split where in this neko video that nigel page almost falls off his chair and says "he's up he's up")

Also shows how much faster a rider can be when the pressure is suddenly off and the need to retain maximum momentum is required.

Everyone should give chain less downhill rides a shot, it changes the way you see a trail entirely

And ride a SS HT where momentum is your friend and using brakes are your arch enemy in robbing you of momentum