Rand Water Race for Victory

bmw1za

Had an awesome ride in EL Planned for a 3h30 and came in just under 3h. Lost the final sprint in last few meters.... Great group that eventually became a mixed EL, CL, DL group. Kept the pace nice and consistent.

Have to say though, didn't enjoy the dirt section, there was a lot of soft sand sections... Last year it was well compacted but not so much this time. I did a few two wheel drifts coming through there

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started in H today and gave it stick from the start.

Got in a group of 4 and we worked together.

Great ride , weather was good and eventuly the legs

said enough with 20km to go.

It was nice to see lots of people being motivated by those coming by.

Missed my A start cause I had a tummy issue... started from the back of B and missed the bunch split so just cruised in the bunch to survive. 60 km Mark had a puncture, 65 mark...puncture, 75 mark... wait for it...puncture(no more bombs and tubes)

Sighhhhhhh.... rear wheel was only half flat so I nursed it by leaning far forward for the last 35kms. I was hoping for a sub 4 so the 3h45 is awesome considering. That last hour was painfull on the legs into the headwind . Thanks to the couple of guys rotating with me (my hero's), Got me to the line in one piece

First time doing this Race, Loved It !!!

Congrats on some superb times guys:thumbup:

Perfect riding weather. Well marshaled roads, and a good spread of refreshments at the end...red bull, chocolate milk, coke, water...who could ask for more? An awesome day out. Thumbs up to the organisers!

Had an awesome ride. Eventually started in CL (was seeded in AL???) Compared to last years windy conditions, this was a breeze today. Might have done my best time for this race. Will have to wait for the results to confirm.  Those icecreams, chocolate milk, green tea,

water and coke at the finish was brilliant. Thanks organisers.

I rode in AL, stayed with the bunch up to 68lkm. I did the next 20km alone.

Was picked up by the lead BL guys and a whole lot of AL guys.

Took a little shelter for a while, then took my turn at the front.

Was only about 4 or 5 guys dooming all the work.

At the sand road all he'll broke loose, the guys were pushing hard. Was actually wheel spinning at times.

Got to the finish in 2.59.

32 minutes faster than last year, won't complain about that.

Was a great day out on the bike.

Got home and found front wheel flat. At least I made it to the end.

Have to agree on 3 counts.

1. Well done for a sub 3 hour....that's awesome pedaling

2. The dirt section especially on the way back was very loose, caused some pucker moments.

3. Post race drinks and icecreams were awesome

The seeding thing needs work though, I was riding with AL group BL group, CL ,DL , all sorts and we were overtaken by some largish geoups which made it dangerous at one or 2 places.

Excellent event though....well done to all

I started in BL, a break of 7 went on the first hill and stayed with the rest of B. Front bunch of C caught us around the 50km mark and we stayed like that till the end. We caught plenty of A group guys, clearly seeding is messed up for the race. Other than that, I finished 14th in BL and managed to take off 42mins from last year's time. Good day out on the bike.......

I had a chat with the CSA officials on Friday when I collected my race pack, about the seeding. They gave me a list of the races used and explained why the following races weren't used:

Argus, 94.7, Ride for Sight, Carnival City

The numbers in this race (R4V) was almost the size of 2-3 batches at the Argus and 94.7 and 4-5 batches for the others. This is fair enough, considering i hadn't done any of the smaller races that they used for seeding, except last year's R4V. Last year I had a terrible ride, only because I went into the race with 2 rides in 3 months (my choice and not their fault). But is it fair to ignore the bigger races altogether, as all my times for the bigger races were good enough to race AL (hence the reason I was seeded AL in the big ones)?

A similar thing happens at all the races that want to do their own seeding, instead of having a central database from which to pull the data from.

Then, the officials also told me that one race organiser refused to share their results. Not sure if it's true as I haven't had a chance to speak to the other party to get their version of the story. But if it is true, I will be left speechless as I had been pushing for transparency and not adopting that "up yours" attitude.

I started in BL, a break of 7 went on the first hill and stayed with the rest of B. Front bunch of C caught us around the 50km mark and we stayed like that till the end. We caught plenty of A group guys, clearly seeding is messed up for the race. Other than that, I finished 14th in BL and managed to take off 42mins from last year's time. Good day out on the bike.......

Seeding was a total stuffup. I was the rider with the EL number riding in the BL bunch :ph34r:

I emailed the race director with my seeding query and se forwarded my query with all my previous results to Jill and asked if they can help me with a re-seeding. She never even replied. On race day I tried to get hold of her again but was told that she left.

Not a lot of BL guys wanted to share the work after the front few guys got away. Luckily the pace picked up when the fast guys in CL caught up with us. Some guy took a huge tumble right in front of me as we entered the dirt road at the end and from there it was all catch-up. Still happy with the result though.

Archived