Die Burger 2014

GLuvsMtb

I was in a big group near Hugenote Tunnel where a lady had a nasty fall. A few guys went over her. I hope they are all well. 

I am sure this was the group I was in. That fall looked really bad. I think the lady's name is Tania. Would love to know that those who went down are OK.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode 2l and about 30km before the end somebody hit my back wheel in the bunch real hard and we were both lucky not to fall.

The guy had the decency to ride up next to me afterwords and apologise to me for what could have been a nasty accident we were in a huge bunch. All is well that end well.

A great morning on the road and were very happy with 2:47

Yes

A friend of mine. Got hit by a car on the way to the race. He has a dislocated ankle. And a lot of bad scrapes.

I'm happy to hear he is ok. From the looks of his bike I thought the worst. Hope he recovers soon

Had an awesome day out! Never felt unsafe at the back!! Started 3k and finished my TT in 3h34. Hopefully that will move me a little further up the rankings so I can get into a group at the Argus! A 95km time trial is not much fun!

Also in 3K. Only traffic in the chutes ????

The group got way too big, we ended up slowing down at every turn quite badly. Also, didnt get that much faster groups passing you could latch onto, as everyone just kind of welded into one.

Still great conditions and lotsa fun

On my way to the start, an Ambulance was picking up a cyclist on Botlary. Bike looked in a bad state. I thought maybe he got ran over. Anyone know who it is an if he is ok?

He was knocked over by a drunk driver. Did not know what hit him as we spoke to him. kudos to Riaan and his mate that were the first guys on the scene. Kept him calm as he did not know what happend to him. Looked like a broken ankel and shoulder and facial injuries. If I remember his race nr was 647. It was light already and visibility was good. Will try and find out if he has other injuries. Hope he recovers well.

Just read the latest post regarding the injuries. Glad its only badly hurt.

Aimed for a 3:15. Started in 2K. Managed to ride  2:56:22. :w00t:  :whistling: after bombing in Wellington. Chasing the Dragon again. :oops:

I started with my wife in 3F.The conditions were perfect. Overall we had great fun. Incidence free...except for the bloke that disobeyed the marshall's order to stop at a robot. Our  finishing time  was 3:18. Shaved  of 40  minutes from last year. I am so proud of my wife. This race was beautiful.

My first ever road race, started 3M . Hoping for 4 hrs would been glad for 4.5 (2 week training is not enough).. ended at 3:24. :w00t:  

I just wish more people would stop sucking wheel and actually help out. no idea how many people me and my friend pulled along and then they will just hook up to next guy passing by.. but we were laughing passing most of them at about the 3 hr mark. (just to get wheel sucked again).  

Hope for better seeding next time and to find some riders willing to work together.  

After reading about the madness up front I am actually very happy I got to start right at the back in 4L.

I have not been racing and did this race to see "where i'm at" training for the Tankwa track in Feb.

Passing riders from groups like 3A halfway up Helshoogte you wonder why or how they got there? Anyway. Going passed Pniel 2 kind gentscame around me and said lets go..

We worked togeather nicely but by Wemmershoek road I could feel I couldnt work this hard all day as It was pretty much 2 of us taking turns in front. We were then Joined by 2 ladies and a gent who saved us when he took a nice long turn in front. So much energy was aisted by stopping behind slower riders and shouting "keep left" became tiresome..

Our group stayed together all the way to windmeul where we were only 4, Everytime the Lady in blue took a turn in front guys got spat out the back..Was quite entertaining. So many gents blowing themselves up in front only to fall off the group 5 minutes later. The beauty of having 2 strong ladies in the group ;) At this time I was actually momenteraly dropped before my GU kicked in and I was able to bridge the gap. (not enough endurance training)

2km later it was only myself and the Lady in blue, I told het, I was unable to help and she just shouted, Its fine, Lets go! SHE WAS STRONG!

We rode together untill the Liefland Climb where I could no longer take the pain and limped home from there on.

I think we could have done a 2:50 If we were not slowed down by the slower riders so much. But I guess thats always the problem starting at the back.

Was happy with my 3:05 I think I got much more out of this ride than getting a 2:30 in the Uberbunch..

2:42 from 2D. After turning towards the prison, the bunch was crazy big comprising of 2A,2B,2C,2D,2E and 2F riders with some kamakazie riders wanting to get near the front of the bunch at any cost. Got dropped after the wiesenhof climb cos I was too busy fiddling with my gears LOL. although only finished about a minute behind that bunch. was a lekka day out

2:42 from 2D. After turning towards the prison, the bunch was crazy big comprising of 2A,2B,2C,2D,2E and 2F riders with some kamakazie riders wanting to get near the front of the bunch at any cost. Got dropped after the wiesenhof climb cos I was too busy fiddling with my gears LOL. although only finished about a minute behind that bunch. was a lekka day out

We must have been in the same bunch. It thinned out a bit on the Agter Paarl section and the drag up to Wellington.

Lost the bunch there just before the traffic lights to repair a flat, rode on my own till just past Nelson's where the next bunch caught me.

Sat with them till Remhoogte where my DC legs called quits, and then rode with a small group of about 5 to the end.

Not too unhappy with 2:47 for the day.

So nobody blew up spectacularly like me?  I still struggled till last night to recover.  I must have drank about 2 litres water during the race.  I was constantly thirsty.  I knew trouble was on the horison when I got hunger pangs as we passed the tunnel.

To top it off I got a flat on the way to the car.  That was not the last.  As I turned the bomb into the valve it just blew all the gas out.  I had forgotten to close the valve beforehand.  :blush:

I feel so embarrassed about this whole race.  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

BTW, if any of you passed a struggler in a red BMC kit with yellow BMC bike on the way back, that would have been me.

I started in 2D and was running well on schedule for a 2:30ish.  Then at around the 65km mark there was an incident in front of me, not sure what it was but the guy in front of me braked hard enough for his back wheel to come off the ground and swing sideways!  I braked hard expecting to hit the deck, but luckily the guy in front got control of his bike again and a tiny gap for me opened to move into.  That's when I heard the crunching of bikes and turned around in time to see some poor guys face hit the tar - nasty!  I was a bit shaken and didn't pay proper attention for about twenty seconds, and that was long enough for the group to drop me.  I just didn't have the power to catch up again and watched them riding off into the distance with a tear in my eye...

The last 20km were terrible for me.  Without the group I hit the wall hard and didn't have anything left to latch on to the other groups as they went past.

Ended with a 2:53 which I should be really happy about since it's over half an hour better than I did last year, but I'm still upset with myself...

Guess I just need a change of mindset! 

Archived