The Cradle is Insane

Paul Ruinaard

Wow- cradle this morning was like an Argus route the day before the event. Just insanely busy.

Lots of noobs out there getting in some km. Good to see but there must be a huge increase in accidents.

Cyclelab - well done - drove out behind you and passing some of your bunches and they were 99% single file. It was easy. And the bunches were big.

Suggestion for someone in authority. Its so busy how about a closure of some of the roads on the Saturday from 7 to 10 am on the 4 weekends prior to the big races - like Argus and 94.7. It would just make it so much safer as there is still a lot of car traffic.......

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Road closure for training ? Good luck with that. I ride there all the time and there are a few cars but not that many. Would imagine its due to the cycle fair on in the cradle this weekend.

Training in the Cradle, and at Kyalami, for 6 or so weeks before 94.7 is an absolute pain in the arse, every year.

Too many bikes with inexperienced riders aboard, and lots of dangerous riding.

It is what it is, nothing you do about it, apart from be more careful

perceived more vehicle traffic on the sections connecting the Cradle with town. Could be the noobs  made me nervous

Live with it, it happens every year... The weekend after the 94.7 it will be back to normal or even quieter than normal

Suggestion for someone in authority. Its so busy how about a closure of some of the roads on the Saturday from 7 to 10 am on the 4 weekends prior to the big races - like Argus and 94.7. It would just make it so much safer as there is still a lot of car traffic.......

More chance of me falling pregnant and giving birth to baby dolphins.

Just saying

The idea is fantastic for a dream world scenario

the real danger in the cradle yesterday wasn't the cars...  Its the folk that only come out to ride once a year (prep for 94.7) that unexpectedly get of their bikes on hills, make u-turns to ride back to their mates, swerve across the road when they get tired etc.

unfortunately not much you can do about that except for being super cautious and expect each guy in front of you to do something stupid at any given time.

We can't complain, really. They less are the guys that keep bike shops open and competitive. And let's be honest, the more cyclists out there, the better!! For the most part, at least 90% of them drive cars too:)

The problem for me was, asshats without helmets, people riding 4 abreast with only 4 in the group, with biiiiig club groups and cars coming past. An I have to say, the driving of follow cyclists is something that needs work. Cars with bikes on the back driving too fast, too close, and too impatiently past cyclists. Slow down and relax dammit!!

I have no idea why people complain about the motorists in the cradle.

I struggled to find Nirox as I was going to the Cycle Fair.

The cyclists ride like pigs, I almost got the impression they feel the road belongs t them and them only.

I'm one of the newbies riding there. 

I have made a couple of U-turns this weekend to find slower members of my group.  Generally I waited until there's no one behind me who will be inconvenienced when I stop, and then I wait for a gap large enough on the other side so that I can get in safely, without breaking anyone's speed.  Is that acceptable, or are U-turns totally out?

Wow- cradle this morning was like an Argus route the day before the event. Just insanely busy.

Lots of noobs out there getting in some km. Good to see but there must be a huge increase in accidents.

Cyclelab - well done - drove out behind you and passing some of your bunches and they were 99% single file. It was easy. And the bunches were big.

:eek:   A compliment for Cycle Lab riders.

Thank you for this "against the trend" observation.

Archived