How important is Spinning Classes?

Guest TheEpicOne

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Hard interval sessions  in the week, but it must be hard, you must taste the food from the night. Tabbata intervals. only 30 min needed and you will not be able to walk. And one recovery ride. and then long ride on weekend

Spinning can be good but I cant get myself to do as the instructor says... some instructors seem to think that spinning at 140rpm with zero resistance is the bomb. I used to go to the class to listen to the tunes, to make sure i do at least 45 minutes and from time to time for some eye candy, but pretty much did my own thing i.e. intervals at my own resistance and cadence. Since virgin got them its wattbike only

Guest TheEpicOne

Thanks everyone for the response! Fitness levels first and then some serious MTB training for me then.

What would you recommend for hill training?

I really enjoy the spin classes at the gym. I strap on my HRM and control the effort that I put in. I am more of a weekend warrior, so I like to make the training as enjoyable as possible. I find that if I spin 3 times a week and do long rides on the weekends I am "prepared" for most races in the gauteng area.

Its fine if you don't mind sitting in a very claustrophobic environment with someone screaming 

'Come on Randburg!!!' while listening to techno. Good for fitness, I hated it.

Thanks everyone for the response! Fitness levels first and then some serious MTB training for me then.

Mtb'ing is slightly different than road cycling where you would sit more in your endurance and FTP zones for longer periods. Mtb'ing requires more short sharp efforts every now and again, going back to endurance zones.

If you don't have a power meter you can sort of simulate with a HR monitor by sitting at about 75-80% of max(top end endurance zone) and then doing 20 second all out as hard as you can intervals between them.

Somthing like this:

warmup

Endurance zone for 1:30

All out zone for 20 second

(do 4-5 of these back to back and then recover for 1:30)

Do 3-4 sets of the above

Cooldown.

Tabata is also great for VO2max...do that on the alternate day.

Spinning is fine for rainy days and winter combined with a bit of gym work or swimming

However the last time I attended a spinning class in Glen Marais VA was when the "instructor" put on his favourite country and western album...... :thumbdown:

I do a class or two a week but only choose specific instructors, ones I avoid are the aerobic ones that try get me to do dance moves on the bike instead of cycling. My particular hate is the popcorn move where you stand/sit repeatedly, easy enough to do if you a sub 80kg skinny but for me its a mission. 

Edited by scotty

Spinning is fine for rainy days and winter combined with a bit of gym work or swimming

However the last time I attended a spinning class in Glen Marais VA was when the "instructor" put on his favourite country and western album...... :thumbdown:

You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em...

Mtb'ing is slightly different than road cycling where you would sit more in your endurance and FTP zones for longer periods. Mtb'ing requires more short sharp efforts every now and again, going back to endurance zones.

If you don't have a power meter you can sort of simulate with a HR monitor by sitting at about 75-80% of max(top end endurance zone) and then doing 20 second all out as hard as you can intervals between them.

Somthing like this:

warmup

Endurance zone for 1:30

All out zone for 20 second

(do 4-5 of these back to back and then recover for 1:30)

Do 3-4 sets of the above

Cooldown.

Tabata is also great for VO2max...do that on the alternate day.

I do pretty much this ^^^ twice a week, with a 20min core session with the medicine ball afterwards. It's had a massive improvement on my recovery rate, strength and enjoyment on the trail. I've also found it's taught me a lot about tempo/cadence on the bike as well...

Edited by Nayr

Well I see you are in the Durbanville area so I would suggest Majik, the route next to the fence up to the marker for repeats and then Dorstberg at Meerendal also Hoogekraal, Contermans and if you are a member of TBMTB... the climb to the Bloemendaaler and the climb back up and also Nitida.... if you add Jonkershoek which is not that far.... well you are quite spoiled for choice really  ;)

Pick a hill and ride it man... it's the only way, and the harder the climb.... the more rewarding the view at the top.

Guest TheEpicOne

Well I see you are in the Durbanville area so I would suggest Majik, the route next to the fence up to the marker for repeats and then Dorstberg at Meerendal also Hoogekraal, Contermans and if you are a member of TBMTB... the climb to the Bloemendaaler and the climb back up and also Nitida.... if you add Jonkershoek which is not that far.... well you are quite spoiled for choice really  ;)

Pick a hill and ride it man... it's the only way, and the harder the climb.... the more rewarding the view at the top.

As far a I know Majik Forrest is closed? But all the others I'm fimiliar with, shot! Ever heard of the Odendaal Hill? Hy is etter!

When I was not able to ride that often during the week I found spinning made a big difference and I was very glad I was doing it. But now that I am able to get onto the mountain three days a week there is no reason to go spinning.

On a side note my dad spins and he can really feel the difference. When he does ride outdoors it's for fun so he never pushes himself, but when in a class because he is being told to he will.