Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

see some mention above to the "thickness" of the pedals.  Just curious, what difference does it make whether the pedals are thicker or thinner in terms of the cross section?

i cringe to say, but I bought giant pedals (and put them on a santacruz...  i know) and they are quite "thick", probably around 30mm if i had to guess?

does this mean I need to buy a pair of saints?

When I start getting tired, usually towards the end of a ride/race, I regularly drag my pedals on the ground or get them caught on stumps or shrubs when going around corners and not raising the inside pedal.

A thicker pedal will aggrevate this I would imagine.

Weight will also be a down side to a thicker pedal.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

see some mention above to the "thickness" of the pedals.  Just curious, what difference does it make whether the pedals are thicker or thinner in terms of the cross section? i cringe to say, but I bought giant pedals (and put them on a santacruz...  i know) and they are quite "thick", probably around 30mm if i had to guess? does this mean I need to buy a pair of saints?

Thicker means heavier and not necessarily stronger. Thicker also means you are more lickely to get rock strikes and drag it over or through stuff.

On an even more technical point of view you can drop your saddle a bit.

I have a serious shin and a calf bite...  clearly not enough talent yet

LOL. It happens!

It's times like that that remind you to keep your heels down, and make you realise how important it is to ensure that you let the bike do its thing. 

Pics or it didn't happen.......

I suppose it could have been much worse, but I managed to keep my other foot on the pedal and land the curb jump one legged.

post-48219-1416997571,6968.jpg

Wear it proudly...

Your heel was probably way higher than it should be. Jumping usiing cleats you generally pull up with your toes, as that's where the contact is - you mustn't try to pull up, you need to literally jump and then suck the bike up with you, instead of pulling it up. 

Wear it proudly...

Your heel was probably way higher than it should be. Jumping usiing cleats you generally pull up with your toes, as that's where the contact is - you mustn't try to pull up, you need to literally jump and then suck the bike up with you, instead of pulling it up.

Best description of the technique I've ever seen. Edited by DomP

Best description of the technique I've every seen.

Thanks!

It's the same type of technique as doing box jumps. Crouch and jump. The bike WILL come up with you. You need to lift the front wheel first, but that's how it's done. 

Lift front wheel (the better you get at this the easier it'll be to bunny hop and the higher you'll go as well) and then do your box jump. Suck up the bike, as if you're trying to get on to the top of the box. 

I suppose it could have been much worse, but I managed to keep my other foot on the pedal and land the curb jump one legged.

That's cute. :devil:  :devil:   Here is mine from about 18 months ago, before I discovered the awesome world of Five Ten:

attachicon.gifIMG_2165.JPG

Here's mine WITH FiveTens...

post-10758-0-39337200-1417003988_thumb.jpg

Down to the shin bone...

BUT... that was not from a pedal and cannot be blamed on FiveTens. Nope, the only person to blame here was me for pulling a Fischbach and taking my foot off and getting it caught in the rear wheel, while jumping.