Video: Fat bike Friday - fad or future favourite?

Nick

I don't know if its a fad, but it is certainly a very small niche that I don't see making a very big imprint. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spent a week riding dunes and beaches in Mozambique on my Fattie...  One of Mannie Heymans 9Zero7's...

Whilst I still ride it on the Spruit for fun, the beach riding was completely different...

Will see if I have a photo...

A few off my phone... others on the waterproof happy snapper at home.

Best thing about fat tyres? Can make the bike stand by itself for photos!!

Very nice!!!

Hopefully my Silverback Double Scoop are coming before December, then I will do the same at Struisbaai, planning to ride along the beach from Struisbaai to Arniston, its 27km of unspoilt beach!!

I don't know if its a fad, but it is certainly a very small niche that I don't see making a very big imprint. 

Many might say if cycling isn't niche to you then you're doing it wrong...

XC

Enduro

Trail

Singlespeed

Marathon

etc etc

I definately think fat bikes are a niche that will fit into a sport full of niches.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Many might say if cycling isn't niche to you then you're doing it wrong...

XC

Enduro

Trail

Singlespeed

Marathon

etc etc

I think definately think fat bikes are a niche that will fit into a sport full of niches.

True, but what I think makes fatbikes so contentious, is the fact that it is a very purpose-oriented bike, that is mostly being used for purposes other than those it was intended for. 

So, you have guys riding fatbikes on normal trails, where a regular hardtail will be a much more efficient choice. 

But, you also have to consider the fun factor. If I had a fatbike and wanted to ride it on normal trails (because it's fun) why not? 

Very nice!!!

Hopefully my Silverback Double Scoop are coming before December, then I will do the same at Struisbaai, planning to ride along the beach from Struisbaai to Arniston, its 27km of unspoilt beach!!

Lekker - Enjoy

DEFINITELY do a tubeless conversion. Took me forever, lots of sealant, some insulation foam plus a few trips to SupaQuick's compressor - def worth it. And get the widest tyres you can. I was on 4.9's and they floated up and over almost everything.

True, but what I think makes fatbikes so contentious, is the fact that it is a very purpose-oriented bike, that is mostly being used for purposes other than those it was intended for. 

So, you have guys riding fatbikes on normal trails, where a regular hardtail will be a much more efficient choice. 

But, you also have to consider the fun factor. If I had a fatbike and wanted to ride it on normal trails (because it's fun) why not? 

Pretty much what I do with mine  :thumbup:

Lekker - Enjoy

DEFINITELY do a tubeless conversion. Took me forever, lots of sealant, some insulation foam plus a few trips to SupaQuick's compressor - def worth it. And get the widest tyres you can. I was on 4.9's and they floated up and over almost everything.

Will do, planning to go tubeless from day 1, I got a nice video clip on how to do the tubeless thing and yes, looks as if the Silverback comes with 4.7's, so will stick with them!

Now just to wait untill the shipment arrives and hopefully that is before the December holidays!!

• 2 weeks later...

A few off my phone... others on the waterproof happy snapper at home.

Best thing about fat tyres? Can make the bike stand by itself for photos!!

Nice pics

How does it compare to a normal mtb on the beach?

• 10 months later...

I juzt entered Fatattack.co.za. Lekker man, lekker.

Cool, you going to use youre own bike or theirs??

Cool, you going to use youre own bike or theirs??

Theirs. Both for logistics (finish race, get beer, get on plane) and because I suspect we will do several river crossings (BB et.)

I juzt entered Fatattack.co.za. Lekker man, lekker.

Im keen to hear how it goes, its in my neck of the woods so will want to try it at some stage.