Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Since it's a 1 1/8 inch steerer on that frame, why don't you toss the old heavy fork out in favour of a 29er/CX carbon rigid.

It will drop the weight of the bike some and also let you use more modern (read easily available) parts for the headset and stem assembly. If you look around you may even get one with disc mounts that should help reduce the complexity of your build.

I think you misunderstood me.  The fork is a 1" threaded steerer and the headtube uses a 1" threaded headset.  As fat as I know I cant fit a 1 1/8th steerer and headaet in the headtube. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you misunderstood me. The fork is a 1" threaded steerer and the headtube uses a 1" threaded headset. As fat as I know I cant fit a 1 1/8th steerer and headaet in the headtube.

I remember working on a few of those old Trek hybrids and I distinctly remember them being 28.2mm steerer on the fork. I may well be wrong as it has been a long time back.

I remember working on a few of those old Trek hybrids and I distinctly remember them being 28.2mm steerer on the fork. I may well be wrong as it has been a long time back.

Will double check this evening.

HI Hub folk,

I'm looking at converting my old hardtail into a CX bike. Its a 2014 scott scale 960, which has a "Ritchey OE Tapered 1.5" to 1-1/8" Reducer, Semi Integrated OD 50/61mm / ID 44/55mm" headset. So if anybody is getting rid of a CX fork that may be compatible (or knows where I can get one) please shout. 

Thanks! 

HI Hub folk,

I'm looking at converting my old hardtail into a CX bike. Its a 2014 scott scale 960, which has a "Ritchey OE Tapered 1.5" to 1-1/8" Reducer, Semi Integrated OD 50/61mm / ID 44/55mm" headset. So if anybody is getting rid of a CX fork that may be compatible (or knows where I can get one) please shout. 

Thanks! 

You don't want a CX fork, you want to put a 26er rigid fork on there.

So something 440mm/430mm or inbetween.

A CX fork will be 395-400mm axel to crown and will likely make the bike way too steep.

So my advice would be to ask anyone who has an old Java/rapide etc 26er rigid carbon fork if you can buy it.

Get some flared drops and some mechanical disc brakes and Robert is your fathers brother

You don't want a CX fork, you want to put a 26er rigid fork on there.

So something 440mm/430mm or inbetween.

A CX fork will be 395-400mm axel to crown and will likely make the bike way too steep.

So my advice would be to ask anyone who has an old Java/rapide etc 26er rigid carbon fork if you can buy it.

Get some flared drops and some mechanical disc brakes and Robert is your fathers brother

Thanks - much appreciated. 

Not sure what flared drops are (will google) but they sound sexy AF.

Like this, which are not very flared, but you get the idea....

post-77414-0-71346800-1513676685_thumb.jpg

On One Midge bars, Salsa Woodchippers.... 2 great examples of very good flared bar options

On One Midge bars, Salsa Woodchippers.... 2 great examples of very good flared bar options

I'm desperately looking for a set, common y'all someone must have an unused set lying around? Not too fussed which as long as they have some flare!

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Just checked again.

Steerer is 25.4mm (1") and the headtube ID is 30mm.

I'm desperately looking for a set, common y'all someone must have an unused set lying around? Not too fussed which as long as they have some flare!

I have a pair of Midge bars for you.

I'm away on holiday til next week so just send me a reminder then and we can meet somewhere

I have a pair of Midge bars for you.

I'm away on holiday til next week so just send me a reminder then and we can meet somewhere

Thanks so much!

Interested to know of the guys with monstercross builds that are running a Shiman 10spd XT RD, which STI shifters you are using?

Interested to know of the guys with monstercross builds that are running a Shiman 10spd XT RD, which STI shifters you are using?

Easier to run 10-sp STIs with a 9-sp MTB RD (pre-Dynasys). Go google this - it works. 10-sp MTB RD have a different pull ratio to 10sp STIs.