Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my venge off road this morning and enjoys it. Was a bit hairy with slim tyres

Just change to 25's and it makes a big difference or 28's

How are those going to work with rim brakes? or do you mean road wheels?

You get rims with a coated surface that works with canti pads and you get rims that have a braking surface .

Yes it does. Different pull ratios for Shimano 10spd MTB RD and road STI's

Correct.

Ok so I'm thinking of the same type of setup

Ultegra 6600 STI set

Fd ???? ( road ) as I want to use road compact crank set ..

Rd ?? ( MTB )

Cluster ??? (MTB )

Ok so I'm thinking of the same type of setup

Ultegra 6600 STI set

Fd ???? ( road ) as I want to use road compact crank set ..

Just make sure it can handle the drop between the cogs on your crank, otherwise any shimano etc will work

Rd ?? ( MTB )

Use an mtb. I had the same issue and ended using an xt. Btw a clutch derailleur won't work with road sti. Different activation.

Cluster ??? (MTB )

I use an mtb but I need the extra ratios. As long as your RD can handle the drop across the cluster. I use a long cage RD

I run a 1x crank, so have no need for a FD.

I'm using a medium cage SLX M662 RD and it handles the 11-36 cassette.

Hi guys,

I am going to use an old mtb frame with a a straight steerer head tube. Then i am putting a road fork on with a road wheel at the front and mtb at the back due to the road wheel does not fit a mtb frame at the back.it gets a road bar with mechanical disk brakes and 105 shifters. 1x10

Can I use a 29er hardtail frame and rigid fork to build a disc cyclo cross bike? 29er wheels and drop handlebars and Sti's. Will be mechanical disc brakes. And then some 2.1 tubeless nobby's (small box). XT double cranks....

Man i am so tempted.....

Can I use a 29er hardtail frame and rigid fork to build a disc cyclo cross bike? 29er wheels and drop handlebars and Sti's. Will be mechanical disc brakes. And then some 2.1 tubeless nobby's (small box). XT double cranks....

Man i am so tempted.....

Yes to all the above. It'll work.

See pics posted earlier in the thread re monstercross bikes...

I use an mtb but I need the extra ratios. As long as your RD can handle the drop across the cluster. I use a long cage RD

Great ! Thank you for advise ... Build in progress but on pause till return from work in Kenya 22 Dec

Guys I thought I'd show you my project ( cyclocross ) so far . Will be complete on the 20th . But almost complete ..

Looking good. What ratios are you running?

Anyone have a cheapie fork with disk brake adapter that I can use on a 29" frame? Planning a monstercross but don't want to shell out big bucks I have most of the other bits lying around.