Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

this is the gold I need from the Hub :) this is what I am working with below, can extend the road cassette but no clutch so limited to front jump.

What tyres you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bike has a Deore Long Cage RD, which I believe will take a 40T with ease (my MTB has that, but with a 1x up front). I actually am not sure what tyres are on there, I'll check at home. But it's Continental Cyclocross Speed AFAIK, so not even the grippiest for the rough stuff.

Were you carrying any gear with you?

If you intend doing any bikepacking you may need more. (or rather, I do !)

Oh definitely then. It was just me and two bottles. And me is 65kg, and the bike comes in around 9.5kg.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are about to buy a whole bunch of Gravel bikes for our 30th/60th's about 5 or 7 of them, we are looking at the ridley X trail carbon

https://www.ridley-bikes.com/nz/en/bikes/allroad/x-trail-carbon

What do you guys think parts wise, enough gears with 50/34 - 28?

Hi there 

I bought a Niner RLT end 2015.  Alu Frame, Carbon Fork, Niner Alu wheels, 105 11spd gruppo. 

46/36 x 11-32 cassette. Mech disks - 140 rotor back, 160 rotor front

My thoughts (when using the bike for gravel grinds and on tar):

- Buy compact 50/34 with 11-32 cassette. You can go up steep gravel with that combo and would not spin out on the tar with the wind in your back. I added a Wolflink with a medium cage RD. I went up a 20% incline in the Cederberg with the 36/32 whilst sitting.  It was a bitch, but do-able. 

- 105 1spd gruppo is stunning!! And I'm a campy fan.

- Mech disks are good enough but I swopped the disks around.  You have no stopping power with a 140 on the back

-Niner Alu frame is a harsh ride, but looks cool.

-Niner bike is lekker stable, even with 35mm tyres on gravel.

- You can do better than the Niner Alu wheels - 28 spoke count, so virtually impossible to find replacement rims.  And the rim quality is suspect,  Wheels also weighs a ton. To go tubeless was a mission.

- Getting lekker tyres is a mission - ones that can withstand the Karoo surprises.

- Niner frame is compatible with 27.5 wheels, so with the smaller wheels, you can add a narrow  - 2.0 MTB tyre- which makes the bike even more capable.  Make sure your frame can do the same.

- Niner frame has eyelets - so to add carriers is easy!

Hi there 

I bought a Niner RLT end 2015.  Alu Frame, Carbon Fork, Niner Alu wheels, 105 11spd gruppo. 

- Buy compact 50/34 with 11-32 cassette. You can go up steep gravel with that combo and would not spin out on the tar with the wind in your back. I added a Wolflink with a medium cage RD. I went up a 20% incline in the Cederberg with the 36/32 whilst sitting.  It was a bitch, but do-able. 

- Mech disks are good enough but I swopped the disks around.  You have no stopping power with a 140 on the back

- You can do better than the Niner Alu wheels - 28 spoke count, so virtually impossible to find replacement rims.  And the rim quality is suspect,  Wheels also weighs a ton. To go tubeless was a mission.

- Getting lekker tyres is a mission - ones that can withstand the Karoo surprises.

- Niner frame is compatible with 27.5 wheels, so with the smaller wheels, you can add a narrow  - 2.0 MTB tyre- which makes the bike even more capable.  Make sure your frame can do the same.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback!

The bike comes with a 50/34 and 32/11 Apparently, I wanted to add a little more forgiveness with the wolflink and get a 46/36 - 36-11. (Need the 50/36 as a max of 14 tooth jump on a 36 casette.)

Looking around on the web not much choice in tires I see, but thats expected. Want to try a 36c, don't think the ridley can go 27.5 with 2.0. 

Nice thing about this is the hyrdaulic brakes and the decent rims. 

Looking to do Baviaans on it.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback!

The bike comes with a 50/34 and 32/11 Apparently, I wanted to add a little more forgiveness with the wolflink and get a 46/36 - 36-11. (Need the 50/36 as a max of 14 tooth jump on a 36 casette.)

Looking around on the web not much choice in tires I see, but thats expected. Want to try a 36c, don't think the ridley can go 27.5 with 2.0. 

Nice thing about this is the hyrdaulic brakes and the decent rims. 

Looking to do Baviaans on it.

You're welcome :-)

I've travelled Baviaans with the car, and some sections are too rough for a 35-38 tyre at 2.5 Bar.  I go the 27.5 route with MTB tyres - but then I am risk averse.

The Baviaans regulars can advise what's best 

Hi there 

I have a 9er RLT steel and agree with what is said above. I run compact 50-34 Sram Red 2x with medium cage XO derailleur and TRP cable to hydraulic disks.

I have 11-32 on the back but put a 40 on when doing some bike packing in the berg last year. I used the 40 only a few times but carrying 4lt of water and 6kg of kit and food made me happy I had the gear.

Why on earth would you do that? Use the front brake more because you get better power and traction and modulation with it...

Uci rules.

No drop handles in a mtb event.

Sad but true.

Guess no Transbaviaans on gravel / monster bike then...

But it's Continental Cyclocross Speed AFAIK, so not even the grippiest for the rough stuff.

I've checked, it's 35C, but my frame can easily accommodate larger hoops. Obviously the lack of suspension and relatively thin and high pressure tyres are not great on rocky/bumpy descents, paired with a not-so-ergonomic cockpit can be quite hectic on the arms and upper body. However, when it flattens out, this thing is beast! Also, it's pretty boss going uphill as well, actually.

I've checked, it's 35C, but my frame can easily accommodate larger hoops. Obviously the lack of suspension and relatively thin and high pressure tyres are not great on rocky/bumpy descents, paired with a not-so-ergonomic cockpit can be quite hectic on the arms and upper body. However, when it flattens out, this thing is beast! Also, it's pretty boss going uphill as well, actually.

Awesome, thanks for all the help guys.

Except mongoose. He just killed dreams :'(

Will probably go for the Ridleys, just hope can get a nice bulk discount ????

Awesome, thanks for all the help guys.

Except mongoose. He just killed dreams :'(

Will probably go for the Ridleys, just hope can get a nice bulk discount ????

Despite that silly rule I'm not sorry I built my 'monstercross' and ride it often. An absolute hoot to ride all over the place [emoji41]

On the topic of 26 to 700c; find a BRIDGESTONE MB frame and do an easy conversion using long reach road calipers. Builds a very comfortable grinder fo next to nothing. My one has taken me up and down Breedtsnek without any issues except for a double flat on tubed Continental Cyclocross Speeds. Switched to Schwalbe CX Pro and no further problems

Why on earth would you do that? Use the front brake more because you get better power and traction and modulation with it...

It's a bad idea going down a gravel mountain using the front brake as the main stopping brake.  Especially in turns. Especially on 35 mm tyres.

On tar I would agree with you.

So after the coffee ride today we decided to go for the 105 spec model, about R4k cheaper, comes with a 50-34 and 32-11. Rims are meh, but will replace with American classsic tubeless ready disc with 38c WTB tires. 

We will then try this out for a few months, then if needed go 46-34 with a 36-11 and a road link. Outer rings on the RS500 crank are cheapies. 

Thanks for all the awesome advice - love the hub knowledge, even on bikeradar etc and international sites dont get this kinda feedback, may have to wait for July for tax return to click go, but getting pretty damn excited. Montagu pass is calling...

Edited by Pure Savage