So where have all the MTB skills gone?

Dicky DQ

Yo, was the lady on a black rocky mountain and wearing a orange helmet?

Yes think thats her, short lady, well short compared to my 6"5 lanky ass. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode with her for a while, black and red Rocky Mountain, baggies, maybe 45 years old. She kills the downhills.

We had a few chats as we waited for traffic to clear on the singletracks.

Yes think thats her, short lady, well short compared to my 6"5 lanky ass.

[emoji41]

That young lady is over the 50 year old mark, she rides the single track in a way that would put many manne half her age to shame, can climb just as well and is more importantly a flipping awesome person!

She is one of the regular commuters in our commute group, and ride group.

I am honoured to call her a friend and am glad she held her own on the trail.

Oh, we have his and hers rocky mountain altitude 70's .....Just mine is a little bigger :P

I was able to handle the switchbacks etc, but after that p... of a climb at the end yesterday I also hiked down a few switchbacks.

This is the mtb version of golfs "that group in front is so slow" smackdown thats been going for years

Anyone know where you can find all the event photos?

Over the last few years, particularly in the bigger one day events, overcrowding/bottlenecks has obviously got worse and will continue to do so as the events grow even more.

If you go to these events expecting it not to happen you're delusional....unless you are in A batch. I'm no technical guru but also get frustrated, especially when the routes merge!!!!!! Hence, I don't do most of them.

[emoji41]

Thank young lady is over the 50 year old mark, rides the single track in a way that would put many manne half her age to shame, can climb just as well and is more importantly a flipping awesome person!

Oh, we have his and hers rocky mountain altitude 70's .....Just mine is a little bigger :P

She has some skills for sure, we finished very close together. She had me on the climbs, I beat her on the flats, 29er :P , and we were very even on the singletrack and descents.  Very pleasant lady indeed. No fear at all.

I found day 2 had way more technical sections than day 1, granted those two mid - air berms at Dornier caught us all out. But the single track section going into l'omarins needed a fair amount of handling skills to stay upright, loose rock and sand all the way; a serious amount of stopping and starting happened here.

Dick not completely sold on "There were no drop offs, steep inclines etc. on day 2 of the Origins of Trails. Just awesome single track that wanted to be ridden, which unfortunately was not. "

The last single track coming down Botmaskop had a fair amount of technicals on it, didnt see a single guy fall over the two days until here, there is a reason the 97 Grundig downhill was done on this exact hill.

Seeding does seem a bit hodge podge, but the rule of thumb; if wanna race, be at the front.

Yeah, less suurgatte, moaners, bitchers and groaners that ride, more space for the rest of us normal folk.

:)

Problem is not slow people. The problem is people who get off and walk on the trail ahead of people who want to ride. If you're walking you're not part of the ride any longer so get off and let others through, remount and continue.

Instead, those with a lack of skill also display a lack of trail etiquette.

Hence I don't enter any of the popular events anylonger. too many unskilled gits on 29ers thinking they own the trail

I unlike most can see both sides of this story. I am a rider who is capable of riding world cup xc corses and mixing it with the pro's in a road race. As for this discussion I do think the general public need to increase there skill level by riding technical sections in their training or just messing around in the garden if the trails aren't close at hand. But the guys moaning about these less skilled riders ruining there enjoyment of the technical sections could just as easily get out there and train either longer distances or more dirt roads or even wake up at 4am and sit on a trainer like the riders you moaning about so that your seeding is higher and you don't have these problems.

Oh and yes even the pro's have this problem where some are stronger technically and other are just power houses.

You don't get everything your way all the time so make the best of it and instead of moaning do something about it.

[emoji41]

Thank young lady is over the 50 year old mark, rides the single track in a way that would put many manne half her age to shame, can climb just as well and is more importantly a flipping awesome person!

Aaa www hairy. You too sweet

Enduro anyone?

This is the way forward,it's absolutely awesome quite interesting to see what happens with the Karkloof and Giba ones next year can only get more awesome.

Problem is not slow people. The problem is people who get off and walk on the trail ahead of people who want to ride. If you're walking you're not part of the ride any longer so get off and let others through, remount and continue.

Instead, those with a lack of skill also display a lack of trail etiquette.

Hence I don't enter any of the popular events anylonger. too many unskilled gits on 29ers thinking they on the trail

You can't exactly generalize beacause even people on the other wheel sizes are unskilled gits.

Back to the topic of skills... What is considered as skills? This is a legit question. I am not the most skillful rider, but want to improve. What is needed to improve and be seen as skillful? Should I be able to pop a wheelie at free will? How can one improve?

Might be different for different folks, decide what you want to do and practice till you are able to pull it off. Become comfortable on you bike the more you can do on the bike the less likely you are going to want to get off. Go to skills training google etc.

Archived