Where Giants Roam...post'em

s14phoenix

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 GTs, 2nd Giant. The first on lasted almost 10,000km while this one had 4700km on. I ride a lot, but not rough. No jumps and more climbing than downhill riding.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Roux, man, you definitely need a bigger frame. How long is that seatpost and how much of it is exposed? Looks like it's right on the limit, even for a 400mm jobbie, and that will wreak havoc with that top joint with enough leverage (which you have, given that it's long and it's got a setback)

May be time to consider a custom frame. 

Roux, man, you definitely need a bigger frame. How long is that seatpost and how much of it is exposed? Looks like it's right on the limit, even for a 400mm jobbie, and that will wreak havoc with that top joint with enough leverage (which you have, given that it's long and it's got a setback)

May be time to consider a custom frame. 

I would tend to agree, that seatpost is far too long... 

Also may be time to consider a carbon frame, which would have a stronger seat tube junction. But then you still need one that doesn't necessitate a 400mm seatpost at full extension. 

I think Giant make L, XL and XXL frames? 

*Edit I see the XTC only goes up to XL... 

Edited by the nerd

Thanks for the advise guys, the seatpost is within the limit. Couple of things that I should add. On the GTs the cracks were never near the seatpost, and it was never in the same place - so I am not sure what the story was there.

My first Giant was a Revel 0 and I rode it very hard, it did not crack and when it was stolen I think it also had near 10,000km like the first Talon. If you look at the design of the Revel, and too an extent the XTC, you will see the top tube is much more angled to be almost inline with the seat stays. On the Talon it makes a more pronounced corner and the end towards the seatpost is much smaller than at the head tube end. 

I spoke to the guy from the LBS and he leans towards bad design. 

Edited by Rouxenator

Thanks for the advise guys, the seatpost is within the limit. 

That doesn't answer the question... 

What length is the seatpost, and how much is exposed?

Even if it's "within the limit" shown on the post, it may not necessarily be good for the frame. You still need sufficient material for the frame to hold on to, both sides of the weld. If there's less material below the weld than in the seat tube above, you're going to have problems - especially with a setback post. It's a recipe for disaster. 

I'll have to check, it is a stock seatpost that came with the Talon so I guess they would make use of one that will work with the frame provided you stick within the limit?

I'll have to check, it is a stock seatpost that came with the Talon so I guess they would make use of one that will work with the frame provided you stick within the limit?

Don't you ride WAAAAAY too much [emoji33] [emoji6]

Just picked it up from the Dirtopia bike shop. Ready for Die Burger on Sunday, rebuilt by the very people that makes Sunday possible.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160729_174130674.jpg

That was quick.

Did they ask you at the bikeshop to try not to break this one? [emoji6]

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I think that was implied with the "kom ons kyk of jy die een langer kan heel hou". They do give the best service on Giant bikes so I can highly recommend them.

Bought a used Silverback Vida 1 (XL, 2014) that I will pick up from Hermanus Cycles tomorrow. It was my plan B for Die Burger but I might just start to alternate between it and the Talon.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk