Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

My Android Box is still giving me issues. It keeps freezing and I have reloaded the OS quite a few times now.

I think the time has come to retire it and get a new one. I have been looking at a few and have made the decision to get a Google Certified device as this seems like the logical step to avoid any issues going forward. We currently have issues with apps not being available or won't work because our current device is not Google Certified.

Has anybody had any experience with the Ematic 4K Ultra HD Device?

http://ematic.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Image_Features1.jpg

I have it queued up on Loot (Discovery will subsidize a portion ;) )

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Android Box is still giving me issues. It keeps freezing and I have reloaded the OS quite a few times now.

I think the time has come to retire it and get a new one. I have been looking at a few and have made the decision to get a Google Certified device as this seems like the logical step to avoid any issues going forward. We currently have issues with apps not being available or won't work because our current device is not Google Certified.

My brother whom works at MyBroadband recommends the Ematic as the only media box to use for Netflix, Showmax & Youtube. I am getting one at the end of the month. Costs about R 1300.00.

My brother whom works at MyBroadband recommends the Ematic as the only media box to use for Netflix, Showmax & Youtube. I am getting one at the end of the month. Costs about R 1300.00.

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to testing it. There are some good reviews over on MBB

Its definitely the right box to buy, its got the android tv version which is very different from the tablet version and designed to play content.

The Google assistant is nice too.

Never heard anyone say anything negative about the Ematic and its got play verification for the DSTV now app and Netflix.

Forgot to mention, the biggest plus for me is that it has the ethernet port so its not like the Xiamoi where you have to get a USB-ethernet adapter.

Im probably going to get one of these if/when my Roku dies.

So please explain to an ignoramous like me. Is this Android Box thingy what you need for Netflix, etc if you don't have a Smart TV?

So please explain to an ignoramous like me. Is this Android Box thingy what you need for Netflix, etc if you don't have a Smart TV?

In a nutshell, yes. These media boxes turn your std TV into a smart TV. Instead of the apps being loaded onto your TV, they are loaded onto the box which is connected to your TV.

Simplified, if it has an Android OS, then it will work like an android smart phone that you can't make calls on.

In a nutshell, yes. These media boxes turn your std TV into a smart TV. Instead of the apps being loaded onto your TV, they are loaded onto the box which is connected to your TV.

Simplified, if it has an Android OS, then it will work like an android smart phone that you can't make calls on.

and are they pretty much plug n play?

My life may just have changed.

ATM I have to bargain with the boys to let me use their xbox when I want to binge Netflix

Yup, plug and play, with a software update on startup if you're unlucky.

Then just download apps from Play store as you would do on your android phone, but most would have Netflix, Amazon prime pre-installed.

Bonus is you can download redbull tv to stream mtb'ing.

Bridget and her effing accident are going to

be a big motivating factor for me to s

cancel my DSTV subcription.

Yup, plug and play, with a software update on startup if you're unlucky.

Then just download apps from Play store as you would do on your android phone, but most would have Netflix, Amazon prime pre-installed.

Bonus is you can download redbull tv to stream mtb'ing.

Any specific make and model that you would suggest?

This one seems to be highly rated by The Bikehub techies

Yes. Plug in the HDMI cable. switch it on and you are away. Load your favourite apps from the Playstore or side load unofficial apps using an APK installer (Just another term for unofficial apps that aren't available from the Playstore. You download an apk file and load it through an apk installer). You can log in with your Gmail account and access the same apps as on your phone. 

My life may just have changed.

ATM I have to bargain with the boys to let me use their xbox when I want to binge Netflix

All our devices are connected to one TV but Dad pays the internet account so what he says goes and he has control of the router from the app on his phone....

That Ematic looks very good, and would be my choice if getting a new Android box now. Google Certified is a very important factor imo.

I have the Xiaomi Mi TV S, similar price with similar specs to the Ematic and also Google certified, but it doesn't have the ethernet port and only has 1 usb.

Cancelled our DSTV, but now watch through the DSTV Now App if need be. Most of our viewing is YouTube, YouTube Kids for the kids, Redbull TV for the mtb, and then I downloaded an App called TeaTV for all the latest movies and tv shows, so no need for a separate Netflix etc,. subscription.

I would recommend that you try and get one that is Google certified (There are a few). Something else to consider is how you will be connecting it to your router (Wifi or Ethernet cable) and how many USB ports for flash drives and external hard drives (and the max capacity that they can handle). Then you can go off at a tangent with Bluetooth for keyboards and mice, the ability to cast to it etc.

My older box isn't Google certified (it is a few years old now and at the time, that wasn't an issue) and you end up having to find a workaround to get things to work. (See side loading comment above). If you are a techie, it's not really and issue but if not, then the plug and play aspect of a Google certified device would make life easier.