Cycling On Antibiotics

This is exactly what happened to me! Got sick in November and stayed off the bike for a week and started riding slowly for a week after that. My heartrate wouldn't come down, even if I rode very slowly. 

Came back from the Desert Dash and pulled a wisdom tooth due to an abscess that had been brewing for a good two to three weeks.

Was also put on an AB course but continued riding - I did 4-5 hours a day for 6 days. The first week in January was also a hard week on the bike and then it all just fell apart. I have no power, I'm constantly tired and have zero motivation. This has been going on for the last two ½ weeks. Going to see the doc today for some bloodwork.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly what happened to me! Got sick in November and stayed off the bike for a week and started riding slowly for a week after that. My heartrate wouldn't come down, even if I rode very slowly. 

Came back from the Desert Dash and pulled a wisdom tooth due to an abscess that had been brewing for a good two to three weeks.

Was also put on an AB course but continued riding - I did 4-5 hours a day for 6 days. The first week in January was also a hard week on the bike and then it all just fell apart. I have no power, I'm constantly tired and have zero motivation. This has been going on for the last two ½ weeks. Going to see the doc today for some bloodwork.

Yip, very similar to my experience.

Never felt the same after that.....

If you had your wisdom teeth removed, was it under general anaesthesia? If so, just keep in mind that your lung capacity (and thus VO max) can be impaired by about 20% and that can last for up too 2 weeks...

Just saying

Edited by Goodbadugly

Riding with an active infection.... not good.... riding with an active infection that calls for ab treatment... not advisable in the slightest - riding 4 - 5 hours a day , 6 days back to back with an active infection and ab treatment... definately against any known medical advice that you paid for.

I suspect you will be sub par for a while still - possibly as long as another 6 - 9 months.

There is a big difference between taking antibiotics prohylactically and taking them to treat an active infection - the OP has no apparent infection post surgery, and on that basis training with certain ab's is in order.

You on the other hand are not and never were in the OP's category, and the advice to him would not have been the same for you.

You would have been advised to rest until completely recovered..

I do hope you recover soon and well.

Edit - I see it appears from your post you RACED with an active infection... NEVER EVER do that... the risks to long term longevity are high - I do accept that this might have been unwitting, but it is best avoided.

Edited by V12man

If you had your wisdom teeth removed, was it under general anaesthesia? If so, just keep in mind that your lung capacity (and thus VO max) can be impaired by about 20% and that can last for up too 2 weeks...

Just saying

Was under local anaesthetic. Had the option of general, but was too pricey and according to the doctor was not really necessary in my case. 

Was under local anaesthetic. Had the option of general, but was too pricey and according to the doctor was not really necessary in my case. 

Smart move  - avoiding GA if possible is always a smart move...

• 6 months later...

Been on Flagyl (Metronidazole) for 10 days due to an I section following root canal. Felt fine, but took part in an xc event last week and had no power or energy, finished the three laps but have never felt worse on a bike. Took the whole week off since, been off AB 48hrs and went for a spin today, again had nothing! Was like the training program has been set back months.

I don't feel ill, just have malaise, and have had no energy all week.

How long does it take to flush this stuff out the system? Will I be starting from scratch, or will some of the gains over the last few months return?

I've had all my wisdom teeth out and 4 root canals over the years and never recall an issue this harsh until the Flagyl

Edited by anthemic

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, I've been prescribed a course of AB's. Betamox to be exact. AB's are to treat 2 boils I've recently picked up, I'm on my 3rd day of a 5 day course. Any idea if riding will be safe or not?

Hi guys, I've been prescribed a course of AB's. Betamox to be exact. AB's are to treat 2 boils I've recently picked up, I'm on my 3rd day of a 5 day course. Any idea if riding will be safe or not?

Betamox itself isn't a contraindication to exercise. Viremia/bacteremia is though. If you have no other symptoms but the boils and your contact points/kit won't irritate them... By all means. Keep fit. Certain antibiotics are relatively to absolutely contraindicated in exercise. Flouroquinolones like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin etc. They cause swelling of ligament fibres and make them weak (like a countertwisted cable.

My experiences tell me - rest. I rode a Hill2Hill on antibiotics for a tooth abscess, felt absolutely shattered from the first uphill and needed a 20 minute nap at halfway. Barely staggered across the finish; taking weeks to recover.  I rode Amashova a day or two after a skin graft on my ear with a massive Betadine colour bandage stitched on and regretted every kilometre. Stupid is as stupid does.

Rest. Maybe a stroll around.

It is clear from this thread that for some reason people on this forum really dislike getting told not to ride their bicycles.  :D 

Thanks guys.. I dont plan on doing anything too strenuous, just a chilled 50km zone 2 coffee road ride.