Pool Filter Sand Replacement

fanievb

Pool Gobbler Pro......attaches to return/outlet, works extremely well, just needs clearing of the "sock" regularly and replacement socks cheep cheep

post-35907-0-06059900-1604563632_thumb.png

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These ones work well

https://youtu.be/BLtN702NrJQ

We have one of these, works like a boss. I need to open up the rusted over pool ball cover thing today to check our sand etc.

I’m currently running the pool for two hours only and it is clear enough but not crystal clear. How do you guys figure out how long it should run? This is my first pool.

Those one-legged stockings work well as replacement socks

I have always suspected that they ARE actually socks stockings!!!! :D

Edited by capediver

We have one of these, works like a boss. I need to open up the rusted over pool ball cover thing today to check our sand etc.

I’m currently running the pool for two hours only and it is clear enough but not crystal clear. How do you guys figure out how long it should run? This is my first pool.

clever people says you need to circulate your entire pool volume twice per day.

so if you now pump flow rate and size you do the calc.

FWIW my pool is 75kl with a .75kw pump and a 3 bag filter. pool runs 3 hours a day (less than recommended) and I have no issues (unless we have lots of wind and dust)

clever people says you need to circulate your entire pool volume twice per day.

so if you now pump flow rate and size you do the calc.

FWIW my pool is 75kl with a .75kw pump and a 3 bag filter. pool runs 3 hours a day (less than recommended) and I have no issues (unless we have lots of wind and dust)

Okay lekker thanks Fanie.

So I had to remove the cap on the filter to get to the sand. The thing had some rusty screws that broke off. I cut them off with an angle grinder and nicked the lid. Went to the pool shop and they say our tank or whatever is over 40 years old so I’ll have to buy a new one at ~4k all in. So I bought some of those easy out things and a tap set along with some steel putty. Everything went well until I put the pump on. Seems the previous owner also used steel putty that must have corroded over tome as there was now enough pressure to blow that putty off. So tomorrow I’ll put some fresh putty there as 4k is a stretch atm with everything else we need to fix around the house.

So today I tackled the rest of the sand filter lid. Put some sticks like poop on the places where I accidentally cut it and let it dry. Put some steel putty on the underside of the old hole in the lid. Works like a charm now. Wil let it run for a day and inspect again tomorrow.

So today I tackled the rest of the sand filter lid. Put some sticks like poop on the places where I accidentally cut it and let it dry. Put some steel putty on the underside of the old hole in the lid. Works like a charm now. Wil let it run for a day and inspect again tomorrow.

Not sure I would trust putty. Whatever you do, don't run the pump when you are not at home. If the putty fails and the lid blows, you will come home to a flooded garden and empty pool

Not sure I would trust putty. Whatever you do, don't run the pump when you are not at home. If the putty fails and the lid blows, you will come home to a flooded garden and empty pool

+ 1000

There is a fair amount of pressure through the filter, putty is not going to last for to long.

+ 1000

There is a fair amount of pressure through the filter, putty is not going to last for to long.

I understand but the previous quick fix was done from the wrong side etc and the putty help up until I fixed it. I know this is not a permanent solution but it will have to do for now.

The pump will run dry and maybe blow but the pool will not empty, it can only drop to the lowest point in the weir box unless your pump drains from the bottom of the pool (not likely) ie usually about a foot maybe less

The pump will run dry and maybe blow but the pool will not empty, it can only drop to the lowest point in the weir box unless your pump drains from the bottom of the pool (not likely) ie usually about a foot maybe less

And if he has an automatic pool cleaner (Kreepy Krauly)?

And if he has an automatic pool cleaner (Kreepy Krauly)?

maybe! but most, mine anyway, have a valve in the weirbox to control the suction,  if the kreepy gets blocked, a spring-loaded valve opens and provides relief to the pump,.....this should pull air when the water level drops and the pump will eventually cavitate and run dry.....never tested in anger!

So yesterday I pop off to my local pool shop to ask if they sell glass to replace my sand. They guy tells me no, but if you wanting to move from sand and have looked into other options have I seen this? So I say no.

It's called clinobrite. I then say ok let me go do more research. I am starting to think there are a lot of new options out there. 

So, is anyone using Clinobrite? 

What other options are out there?

So yesterday I pop off to my local pool shop to ask if they sell glass to replace my sand. They guy tells me no, but if you wanting to move from sand and have looked into other options have I seen this? So I say no.

It's called clinobrite. I then say ok let me go do more research. I am starting to think there are a lot of new options out there.

So, is anyone using Clinobrite?

What other options are out there?

Ooooh..interesting