Caravaning and Camping.

Mousea

This big trucks are awesome.Especially the Unimog when converted.The problem is they stuff up the tracks for following normal 4 x 4 okies like me.They dig deep and the sand falls in.

Edited by Kranswurm

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This big trucks are awesome.Especially the Unimog when converted.The problem is they stuff up the tracks for following normal 4 x 4 okies like me.They dig deep and the sand falls in.

You generally find that the Unimogs have much bigger tyres and wider track which causes that problem. That Iveco shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Thug

Ok, you smart people will know.

I want to get a license to tow boat (disc brake trailer) and caravan (drum brakes)

BUT, I also would like to be able to drive a big tour bus/campervan as family has one in France, I just need a license for small truck or something.

What thing should I tick when re do my test?

I want to get a license to tow boat (disc brake trailer) and caravan (drum brakes)

BUT, I also would like to be able to drive a big tour bus/campervan as family has one in France, I just need a license for small truck or something.

As far as I understand, you need EC1 or EC, will cover you for the above scenarios. Some driving schools can assist.

Check out 4x4community, they have discussed this extensively.

That would be EB which I have...and A for the bike of course,the rest I don't have a clue

As far as I understand, you need EC1 or EC, will cover you for the above scenarios. Some driving schools can assist.

Check out 4x4community, they have discussed this extensively.

Also. You need to do the Learner's licence before doing the driving test.

Code 3 Learners is what you need to write to be able to do the EC Driving licence (Gives you the big vehicles and towing)

If you don't want to do the big vehicles but want to tow, you will need to do the EB diving test. For this you need to write the Code 2 Learners.

As far as I know EB license allows you to tow a trailer/caravan with run in brakes with a mass below 3500kg. There is also a formula for the max available weight you need to tow. As for bigger vechicles you will need a C license for Bus or a smaller Truck. When you want to two something with these you need to upgrade to EC1.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/148473-EB-License-The-Actual-valid-process

In 2019 my Subie was full to the brim and then when we got back I sold it and bought the Navara. Even with a roof rack with the panels on, it was full to the brim. Mind you, I did have 2 x 30lt beer kegs and 8 bags of charcoal.

Sometimes I think I trailer would be a worthwhile investment but then look at the prices and realise it would only used once a year.

So we make do with what we have.

trailer rental...makes perfect sense*

i did the sums the other day as my family is getting bigger.

a venter trailer is R150 per day, why pay R15k for something if you're not using it a LOT.

then looking at camping trailers, just on the conquerer rates on sales vs rental.

entry level - R120k new, or  R650 per day

my assumption was keep it for 5 years and sell for R60k. 

you'd need to use it about 30 nights a year to break even

renting it for a weekend seems a hassle, but i'm sure that's doable if you do your homework..looking after a trailer is a hassle too.

also peak holiday season probably requires advance booking

Edited by Shebeen

got my licence in 98...didn't get the EB upgrade unfortunately

By the sounds of things, there was a government gazzette published in 2018 where they were going to scrap the requirement for a new learners license if you want to upgrade your license within the same Category. 

As in:

B -> EB

A1 -> A

C1 -> EC1 -> EC

You will still need to book and do the Driving part of the test, but at least it would take away some of the overheads.

Till then, Echo 3 and smaller for me it seems. :w00t:

trailer rental...makes perfect sense*

i did the sums the other day as my family is getting bigger.

a venter trailer is R150 per day, why pay R15k for something if you're not using it a LOT.

then looking at camping trailers, just on the conquerer rates on sales vs rental.

entry level - R120k new, or  R650 per day

my assumption was keep it for 5 years and sell for R60k. 

you'd need to use it about 30 nights a year to break even

renting it for a weekend seems a hassle, but i'm sure that's doable if you do your homework..looking after a trailer is a hassle too.

also peak holiday season probably requires advance booking

Rental does make sense and is an option.

when I changed from license in the ID book to license card I simply ticked the EB field at the time.

we have a jurgens xt 140 extended version

have had it for about 5 years now

add a room and patio walls included

snowmaster 80 litre fridge

its awesome

Might be able to get a 2016 XT140 for about 38k, is that a good price?

Our setup...

Two dome tents and extension with gazebo and all the other niceties.

Got a trailer last year, just a normal Campmaster Roadster 300, and installed a roof rack for our Mountain Bikes..

those tents take up a lot of packing space, and space in Xtrail was only that big, so decided to get an Isuzu Double Cab a few weeks back. But yeah, we enjoy our camping, and often break away for a weekend. Think tents give us option to be more flexible to where we want to go and while expensive to get everything together, worth every Rand spent.

Would like to upgrade to a proper bush trailer/caravan at some stage but for now we are happy.

post-15052-0-02390700-1620631493_thumb.jpg

Edited by RudoJ

Interesting, I got mine in 98 too and its an EB, I didnt ask for that, it just came that way.