2015 FNB Wines2Whales

JasonS

cause the demand is there & its one way of getting the over subscribers off their backs...maybe

Perhaps we'll get jackets and bags this year? I've opted for accommodation in Botrivier, so costs me less than last year with luxury tent option.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps we'll get jackets and bags this year? I've opted for accommodation in Botrivier, so costs me less than last year with luxury tent option.

How far is that from the race village time wise

I also did the sums, but I enjoy the vibe in the village. I'll do the luxury option again (although not a rational decision by homo economicus). 

I could be wrong but I think they alternate it, so this year would be bags?

sjo, it seems a bit crazy - the yearly 22% price increase.

I'm sure they want to go bigger and better and need more money for it, but surely there's a point where it just gets OTT. 

I did it last year and loved it.

If I pay that kind of money for a race though, I seriously want open singletrack, and not have to wait for people walking singletrack and switchbacks.

I just don't think I can see the worth in that kind of money for a race anymore.

That's me out for W2W unfortunately.

What I'll do, is during the duration of the race get a couple of friends to join, and go ride for 2 or 3 days - First day Jonkershoek as many trails as I can.  R25 entry and afterwards go to Trumpet tree for a burger.

Next day, hit Welvanpas trails (R40) and then Geckos for a steak or something. Day 3 Delvera and then Muratie (guessing like R80 for both) and then head for a Pizza and a beer.

All in looking at under a grand, luxury accommodation in my own bed, indulgend dinners and I'll even throw in a decent bike service for my steed and a good bottle of wine for the prize giving - to myself.

How far is that from the race village time wise

About 20km, but with family usually driving through daily from Table View it makes sense to get something in the area.

sjo, it seems a bit crazy - the yearly 22% price increase.

I'm sure they want to go bigger and better and need more money for it, but surely there's a point where it just gets OTT.

I did it last year and loved it.

If I pay that kind of money for a race though, I seriously want open singletrack, and not have to wait for people walking singletrack and switchbacks.

I just don't think I can see the worth in that kind of money for a race anymore.

That's me out for W2W unfortunately.

What I'll do, is during the duration of the race get a couple of friends to join, and go ride for 2 or 3 days - First day Jonkershoek as many trails as I can. R25 entry and afterwards go to Trumpet tree for a burger.

Next day, hit Welvanpas trails (R40) and then Geckos for a steak or something. Day 3 Delvera and then Muratie (guessing like R80 for both) and then head for a Pizza and a beer.

All in looking at under a grand, luxury accommodation in my own bed, indulgend dinners and I'll even throw in a decent bike service for my steed and a good bottle of wine for the prize giving - to myself.

I know of many wait-listed riders that is grinning broadly. Maybe some of them now have a chance of getting an entry. Stage races used to be so well priced that we could do 3 or 4 a year. Now I do 2 a year. If supply one day outweighs demand, I hope that the organizers of these events don't cut corners or disappear all together.

I view last years entry as discounted by 20% and this year's as on par for the product we are to receive (assuming all things remain equal to last year). The perfect model is one where the race is subscribed 102% given a particular price to value. Time will tell, but I suspect that entries will be sold out in one week from Monday.

I could be wrong but I think they alternate it, so this year would be bags?

That is how they used to do it, but perhaps their feedback indicated that people want to choose, or they want both. It is also a nice little sweetener, should entries take a bit longer to sell out, to throw in at a later stage.

About 20km, but with family usually driving through daily from Table View it makes sense to get something in the area.

Thanks bro

Also got our entry secured for the Adventure. Anyone know if they managed to fill the subscription for the event? 

I want to do W2W.  

But it was too much moola for me last year, let alone this year.

If somebody wants to throw some sponsorship around, I'll be the one crying in the corner.

The two guys that I ride with have entered.

I could cry  :(

Also got our entry secured for the Adventure. Anyone know if they managed to fill the subscription for the event? 

Archived