Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I know have to go and tell my 15 year old son that he will not be able to ride the CTCT next year, nor any of the other PPA road races if he wants to do the XCO MTB series and be in contention to do the Nationals.

I mean, can anybody tell me which road races held in the Western Cape are sanctioned by CSA, because I see only those organised by the PPA.

He might as well sell his roadie then, and please, PPA and CSA, how is this called the promotion of cycling under our youth?

i think the 99er and lights by linear events. Could be wrong

Miss Paris Nice to do the CTCT? Ummm. That would be a strange career decision I think

Who is "Miss Paris Nice" and will be nice to see her at CTCT?... :drool:

So because you're a licensed rider you should stay home for the biggest timed ride in the world because of some petty BS between two organisations who claim to want to promote cycling? What if you want to ride at the back with your wife or your kid for fun?

Too much of ego and money involved by the sounds of it, with no winners at the end of it.

It is not just "Pro" riders.....It is all the licensed categories.  There is a difference.

But you most likely do not care.

Me, of one, fall under this where I have fun racing with my peers and to do so I need to license but now I am not allowed to ride a race/funride because CSA and CTCT does not see eye to eye with regards to money?

Sorry....not on for me

Relax. I have nothing against licensed riders (if I was good enough I would like to ride there too). I will be very surprised if CSA try to sanction any one other than the top Elite riders.

Recently we had no races in the whole of Gauteng for a whole weekend because the licensed riders were racing 400km away. It appears Joe Average is literally paying the price (and loosing their funrides) to keep the Elites rolling. I wish this thing gets sorted without the little guys paying any further for it.

My experience has been very similar... and this is the point for me: you cannot have a fun ride of more than 20km without being forced to get CSA sanctioning. And that means you have to PAY to have their commissaires at your event - petrol, accommodation, daily fee. This is besides also having to pay an annual club affiliation fee to the provincial body, and carry your own event insurance. Cycling clubs organising events are CSA's cash cows but get VERY little in return. CSA takes it's day licenses which we collect from the 90% of 'fun' riders who do our events but there's not much that comes back to either the club or those riders.

CSA is a different animal from the PPA and we need both, nationally. They should be working together - and the agreement that paved the way for a unified cycling body foresaw this - but SOMEBODY decided to go after PPA's money and shoulder them out of CSA altogether. Have a look at CSA's finances and you'll see something is not right there.

From my little pothole, I dearly wish we could have one authority that could look to growing cycling in all it's forms across the country, not just looking at elites. And could do at least a little towards improving road safety and the conditions under which everyone cycles.

Can't agree more. If CSA a so set to enforce the UCI's Rule 1.2.019, then they should start organising events for the licenced rides. Something they are not doing. Come om CSA do what is in the best intrest for cycling in Suth Africa 

Pop quiz peeps...... go run a 1/2, full or utlra marathon.

Guess who part of your entry fee is submitted to?

Similiar issues with ASA being heavy handed. quite a few trail runs got scared off a few years back when the suits tried to shut them down.

Admittedly the running calender is much more formalised and works through a club based system. doesn't mean it's right or the best way forward.

and if you think the politics in cycling is bad, go look at all the non athletic types who stuffed up the soweto marathon with their agendas..

So, I know have to go and tell my 15 year old son that he will not be able to ride the CTCT next year, nor any of the other PPA road races if he wants to do the XCO MTB series and be in contention to do the Nationals.

I mean, can anybody tell me which road races held in the Western Cape are sanctioned by CSA, because I see only those organised by the PPA.

He might as well sell his roadie then, and please, PPA and CSA, how is this called the promotion of cycling under our youth?

Please check WPCA , they hold different races year round , as mentioned previously, this past week-end an XCO event (at Rhebokskloof) was held, from sprogs to Geriatrics (although, I will not call Linus van Onselen a geriatric) . A downhill event as well, on Helderberg Trails in S/West. A series of MTB eliminator was held over the last 3 week-ends as well. In the road season there is about 1 road race every week end. Last year done by Lights for Linea and also races done by WPCA.  a WP Time Trial was held a couple of weeks back, a local lad , Greg de Vink(I think U18) went to Africa champs and won there as well. Quite a bit of local CSA sanctioned races happening. I will agree that they (WPCA)  are not as good in the marketing hype as some other event organisers but they do hold and organise races (MTB, Road, Track etc) . :rolleyes:

Meeting next week it seems, CSA will name their price and PPA/Cycletour will hand over a wedge of cash.

Cycling Direct@CyclingDirectSA 3h3 hours ago

PPA trying to resolve UCI issues with CSA for @CTCycleTour . Meeting next week. Time is getting short for travel arrangement cancellations

as far as i know all races (not fun rides) were sanctioned by the csa. that includes all lights by linea events , the wp winter league.  

dont quote me on this but i think all licensed cyclists are allowed to ride a FUN RIDE without fear of sanctioning but might be sanctioned if they take part in an unsanctioned RACE. there is a difference.

Please check WPCA , they hold different races year round , as mentioned previously, this past week-end an XCO event (at Rhebokskloof) was held, from sprogs to Geriatrics (although, I will not call Linus van Onselen a geriatric) . A downhill event as well, on Helderberg Trails in S/West. A series of MTB eliminator was held over the last 3 week-ends as well. In the road season there is about 1 road race every week end. Last year done by Lights for Linea and also races done by WPCA.  a WP Time Trial was held a couple of weeks back, a local lad , Greg de Vink(I think U18) went to Africa champs and won there as well. Quite a bit of local CSA sanctioned races happening. I will agree that they (WPCA)  are not as good in the marketing hype as some other event organisers but they do hold and organise races (MTB, Road, Track etc) . :rolleyes:

We will be at the WP XCO #2 this weekend, as we were last weekend.  But even that event's organisation was a bit dodgy, although they do seem to be trying.

Right now I don't even know of a CSA sanctioned cycling club in our area that covers MTB, Downhill, BMX and Road racing, or even just parts of those.  Maybe it is time those structures are put in place.

There is plenty of opinion on this long standing tiff between PPA and CSA. At the end of the day, both organisations have a measure of power in that one hosts the worlds largest timed road race (and also appears to have bucket loads of money) while the other is the UCI recognized local body for cycling. I find it sad that both seem to waste their time and money fighting with each other and in the process they compromise the very reason for their existence - the cyclists! It would be great for the respective leaderships to stop the "my stick is bigger than yours" nonsense and act out their respective mandates IN THE INTERESTS OF THE CYCLISTS who are the reason they exist. Come on guys. We live in a country where one of the greatest negotiated settlements lead to a peaceful transition of an entire country but we cant even solve differences between to cycling bodies. Quite time now to sort this out.

Rant over...

See, I completely understand PPA's stance on this - sports administration in this country has a history of wanting all the money and all the credit but giving nothing back. Cycling, gymnastics, swimming, etc etc have all had incidents where there was no money to send athletes to competitions despite membership fees and sponsorship programs among others. 

I may be way off the mark, but I detect a case of muscling in on something that they contribute nothing to because it smells like a cash cow.

We will be at the WP XCO #2 this weekend, as we were last weekend.  But even that event's organisation was a bit dodgy, although they do seem to be trying.

Right now I don't even know of a CSA sanctioned cycling club in our area that covers MTB, Downhill, BMX and Road racing, or even just parts of those.  Maybe it is time those structures are put in place.

The club I belong to, Wannabees cycling Club is affiliated to WPCA .  No racing teams but the club covers road and MTB .  Some club members race : Road, MTB , Track & Downhill.  Wannabteam.com

See, I completely understand PPA's stance on this - sports administration in this country has a history of wanting all the money and all the credit but giving nothing back. Cycling, gymnastics, swimming, etc etc have all had incidents where there was no money to send athletes to competitions despite membership fees and sponsorship programs among others. 

I may be way off the mark, but I detect a case of muscling in on something that they contribute nothing to because it smells like a cash cow.

I think you are right in that money is a key motivator for CSA in terms of wanting entry fees from PPA. PPA on the other hand wants to hold on to the money. They are both motivated by money in as far as the present issue goes. The thing is, the roles they play are completely different I that CSA is more of a regulatory body and PPA is more of a race organizer. If they both wipe away the muck in their eyes, put money motives aside and get together, one has a fantastic race organizer/promoter AND the only "legitimate" regulating body working together for the good of cycling in SA, not for the purpose of fund raising for a burgeoning overhead (which seems to be inevitable for regulating bodies the world over).

But then again, I have been told more than once that I'm a bit of an idealist!

I think you are right in that money is a key motivator for CSA in terms of wanting entry fees from PPA. PPA on the other hand wants to hold on to the money. They are both motivated by money in as far as the present issue goes. The thing is, the roles they play are completely different I that CSA is more of a regulatory body and PPA is more of a race organizer. If they both wipe away the muck in their eyes, put money motives aside and get together, one has a fantastic race organizer/promoter AND the only "legitimate" regulating body working together for the good of cycling in SA, not for the purpose of fund raising for a burgeoning overhead (which seems to be inevitable for regulating bodies the world over).

But then again, I have been told more than once that I'm a bit of an idealist!

What PPA has is a very large rider pool that happily pay their subs annually. CSA wants to ride slip all the way and then wants to contend for the sprint finish too by collecting on PPA's subs as an annuity. 

CSA does very little for their licensed riders and nothing for the recreational cyclist. If it was run like a business with good business practices and principles in place we may have had proper representation by SA athletes on the international calendar. 

What boggles the mind is that none of this ever gets reported on in any of the popular cycling media publications. It seems like the media is not willing to make waves and ask hard questions on CSA's lack of performance. Perhaps its time to get Carte Blanche involved again. 

The argument over sanctioning relates to the top 200 riders in the pro teams and the top women like the SA Champ Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio, not the other licence holders riding in vets.  And certainly not in the other 34,000 fun riders.

Jy sit die pot mis.....VER mis.

If you have an Domestic License (Elite, Junior, U/16, U/23, Vets 30-60), you WILL get sanctioned.

Hell man.

We (Vets) got threatened with fines if you did not get up on the podium in FULL racing gear.  That meant you have to sit in your wet nasty bibs for 2 hours in the sun waiting for prize giving.

Domestic Racing licence = Sanctioning.

Archived