Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

...are the riders just been used as "pawn" in the politics between PPA and CSA?

That.

And what a way to make your point: target the riders.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The letter I wrote to CSA about an hour ago - so no reply yet:

Dear William / Mike,

I have noticed that the Cape Town Cycle Tour is not on the CSA calendar and also noticed what has been put on the CSA web site today. I have a good deal of understanding of all the politics between CSA and PPA - but is it really correct to use the cyclists as “pawns" in this equation?

On a personnel level the “ARGUS - Cape town cycle tour" got me started in cycling some 32 years ago and it will be my 32nd participation in this event. I must admit I don’t really want to be forced to choose between an event and holding a CSA/SACF licence - something I have also held for some 30 odd years off the top of my head.

So what process do I need to follow? At the end of the Tour De Boland I am quite happy to hand my licence in - will you allow me to re apply for a new licence on Monday the 9th of March? Or will I be regarded as cyclist not in good standing with CSA? Alternatively I am still happy to hand my Licence in on Friday the 6th of March and face 1 months sanction from the 6th of march 2015 and pay the fine with my licence being reinstated on the 6th of April 2015 - will this be the procedure?

Please note I have not done any PPA events this season as they are not sanctioned by CSA - what is going to happen with riders who have done PPA events this year?

I look forward to you response.

Regards

I don't this is limited to just the Cycle tour - all PPA events are not sanctions!

Rider don't do any PPA funrides between now and the ABSA Cape Epic - in theory if you road this past weekend funride you cannot do day 1 of the Epic - days 2 is one day over a month!

How the can of worms has been opened - but is this really in the best interests of cycling in RSA or are the riders just been used as "pawn" in the politics between PPA and CSA?

Riders who have done PPA funrides this month probably should not be allowed to start the Tour de Boland either!

This was only enforced from the 16 of February 2015. Dont worry, you can still do the epic. :P

I read the thread with interest but don't really have a dog in this fight since I'm not a huge fan of the CTCT. It's just a race to me and when you consider the time spent traveling from Gauteng and the hassle of transporting your bike it just isn't a good deal.

Going through the posts I see that about 90% of the posters are from the Cape so sympathy to them. It certainly is more of an issue if you live around the corner.

Personally as a licensed vet I wouldn't give up my local races to do the CTCT. There must be 7 or 8 quite big races up here between January and March. All sanctioned by CSA. Also we have start groups for our age categories and the racing is quite challenging and a lot of fun.

I know to our Cape riders it must seem that CSA is doing nothing but up here it looks different to me.

The letter I wrote to CSA about an hour ago - so no reply yet:

Dear William / Mike,

I have noticed that the Cape Town Cycle Tour is not on the CSA calendar and also noticed what has been put on the CSA web site today. I have a good deal of understanding of all the politics between CSA and PPA - but is it really correct to use the cyclists as “pawns" in this equation?

On a personnel level the “ARGUS - Cape town cycle tour" got me started in cycling some 32 years ago and it will be my 32nd participation in this event. I must admit I don’t really want to be forced to choose between an event and holding a CSA/SACF licence - something I have also held for some 30 odd years off the top of my head.

So what process do I need to follow? At the end of the Tour De Boland I am quite happy to hand my licence in - will you allow me to re apply for a new licence on Monday the 9th of March? Or will I be regarded as cyclist not in good standing with CSA? Alternatively I am still happy to hand my Licence in on Friday the 6th of March and face 1 months sanction from the 6th of march 2015 and pay the fine with my licence being reinstated on the 6th of April 2015 - will this be the procedure?

Please note I have not done any PPA events this season as they are not sanctioned by CSA - what is going to happen with riders who have done PPA events this year?

I look forward to you response.

Regards

So is nobody questioning why PPA is not asking to be sanctioned, Why PPA believes they can take a national body to court (and win) but use cyclists as pawns. PPA is only interested in one thing, money, please see their financial report on their Web site. which non-profit cycling body has in excess of R20mio in a fund. Why! PPA does not hold an event, schools, clubs,  hold an event and PPA charges R7500.00 to arrive with timing and  seeding. PPA is a business under the banner of "promoting cycling". Ask PPA to fund a cycling initiative and see how far that gets you .. C'mon stop blasting CSA and support them, they send our athletes to nationals, Olympics, and provide connections to world bodies not PPA . CSA is not an event organiser, but how many of you have attended WP Cycling Asssociation events, WPCA held about 10 road events last year, whom of all on this forum went and rode there, they did this on a shoe string budget, they hold time trials, track cycling events, BMX ... grass roots stuff. They promote cycling in previously disadvantaged areas, clubs nobody has ever heard of. send kids to compete against other provinces, PPA does not do that.  WPCA hold regular MTB events, Downhill race and XCO this past week end .. with sprogs till masters in the events ..  There is much more to this than just CSA being blamed.

I read the thread with interest but don't really have a dog in this fight since I'm not a huge fan of the CTCT. It's just a race to me and when you consider the time spent traveling from Gauteng and the hassle of transporting your bike it just isn't a good deal.

Going through the posts I see that about 90% of the posters are from the Cape so sympathy to them. It certainly is more of an issue if you live around the corner.

Personally as a licensed vet I wouldn't give up my local races to do the CTCT. There must be 7 or 8 quite big races up here between January and March. All sanctioned by CSA. Also we have start groups for our age categories and the racing is quite challenging and a lot of fun.

I know to our Cape riders it must seem that CSA is doing nothing but up here it looks different to me.

i think the entry stats from gauteng riders are on a par with cape riders for the argus....affects everyone

So is nobody questioning why PPA is not asking to be sanctioned, Why PPA believes they can take a national body to court (and win) but use cyclists as pawns. PPA is only interested in one thing, money, please see their financial report on their Web site. which non-profit cycling body has in excess of R20mio in a fund. Why! PPA does not hold an event, schools, clubs,  hold an event and PPA charges R7500.00 to arrive with timing and  seeding. PPA is a business under the banner of "promoting cycling". Ask PPA to fund a cycling initiative and see how far that gets you .. C'mon stop blasting CSA and support them, they send our athletes to nationals, Olympics, and provide connections to world bodies not PPA . CSA is not an event organiser, but how many of you have attended WP Cycling Asssociation events, WPCA held about 10 road events last year, whom of all on this forum went and rode there, they did this on a shoe string budget, they hold time trials, track cycling events, BMX ... grass roots stuff. They promote cycling in previously disadvantaged areas, clubs nobody has ever heard of. send kids to compete against other provinces, PPA does not do that.  WPCA hold regular MTB events, Downhill race and XCO this past week end .. with sprogs till masters in the events ..  There is much more to this than just CSA being blamed.

I am not at all against CSA - they have rules to follow and I am just asking how the rules are to be applied. I for one have been to World track championships for the past 3 years and have not had any funding from CSA,  even needing to purchase the SA kit which had Lotto branding on it - CSA rant now over.

As for PPA I can only say they do not offer myself any thing anymore - I am a racing snack! I don’t like it that their is no more Giro Del Capo (last 2 only happened because of myself - was on the PPA EXCO for 18 years). No more league racing etc!

I do believe that PPA will ultimately "kill the goose that laid the Golden egg” i.e. their big bank account is funded buy basically 1 road fun ride (The Cape Town Cycle Tour) - yet road fun ride are becoming few and far between (i.e. all the supporting events disappearing). League have already gone- road fun rides to follow!

Vote the PPA EXCO out they are not serving cycling they are serving a bank account and Ego’s. I put it to all PPA members is enough really been done for cycling that cycling can have more than 20 million in unite trust / the bank? Cycling is not perfect so the answer is NO!!! I am personally of the opinion that where the funds came in the sport is where PPA should put the money back - so if the Cape Town Cycle tour is responsible for say 50% of PPA wealth then 50% of PPA wealth should be directed back into road cycling! As a road cyclist - I want to say to PPA - PAY BACK THE MONEY to road cycling!

This was only enforced from the 16 of February 2015. Dont worry, you can still do the epic. :P

I think the rule was on Highlighted (17 February 2015 – Cycling South Africa would like to bring to the attention of all our licenced cyclists that the UCI rule 1.2.019 ) on the16the of feb - but the rules has been in existence since at least 01/01/2015 so should be enforce since the rule came about!

Again all the cape people are dissing the CSA for being after the PPAs money. Can you not read or are you so caught up in yourselfs that you are blind?

Firstly, PPA was the first to start with all this, by trying to break away from csa.

Second, CSA originally said they would let PPA be as this was in the interest of the sport and the UCI (csa's "bos") then got strict and rung csa in, this after the UCI and USA national body had fights about this.

Thirdly, CSA cannot say screw UCI, then we will not see any rider in the Tour or any big race, so everybody saying they should would be screwing mtn team. So CSA has no choice in the matter.

So if you are a cyclist you have 2 choices, support ppa and their money market and fun rides, so be a funrider, or csa and their support for international racing, support csa racing and be a racer.

Both parties are flawed, you decide what is more important to you.

This is my opinion.

I am the fat guy in the middle of the pack. I belong to both for different reasons. Surely this is about cycling first and foremost. Let the Pro's ride but don't count it for anything. As for getting a fine out of me - go check out how well SANRAL is doing with that.

but that was last year...before PPA took them to court.

and for the Cape Argus. Now it is CTCT. (just splitting hairs)