Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CSA have the ability to sanction the racing element of the CTCT and receive levies for that portion of the riders but CSA wants levies for all the riders .This would not be fair to the majority who ride the Cycle Tour for fun. CSA have sacrificed the racing cyclists purely because they are greedy.

CSA is the South African representative of cycling to UCI, NOT the PPA. CSA has to comply to UCI regulations, otherwise we can kiss any of your cyclists changes to compete internationally good bye. This is got actually NOTHING to do with the Cycle Tour and CSA vs PPA, it is an internationally enforced rule that was suspended for 2 years under Cycling USA pressure. 

It is very easy for CSA to enforce this rule, there is such a thing as a licenced rider database, does not take too much to compare the two and enforce the ban. 

My personal opinion: 

The cycle tour is a fun ride, no racing, no licensed riders. It was started to highlight cycling safety, I believe it is still a very relevant message that needs to get out there, but racing it, I believe that era has passed quite a while ago. FUN Rider, FUN RIDER EVENT. No place for racing snakes, would love that the PPA fall under CSA again (excluding their trust fund, which is not used for the benefit of event WP cycling, IMO), because CSA is the only legitimate representative of cycling at UCI level.

This is got actually NOTHING to do with the Cycle Tour and CSA vs PPA,

The cycle tour is a fun ride, no racing, no licensed riders. .

I am not a racing snake but because CSA requires me to " have a license" in order to ride the local kerk bazaar MTB "race" in the Karoo, I am licenced

The problem is that small races can not afford to stand up to this bullying. The CTCT can, and does.

I do not believe it is bullying, all races should be regulated, there is always major risk for injury and accidents in cycling, certain standards must be upheld. CSA does the regulation. This is not a CTCT, PPA issue. It is a UCI issue, CSA must enforce the UCI rules. 

CSA have the ability to sanction the racing element of the CTCT and receive levies for that portion of the riders but CSA wants levies for all the riders .This would not be fair to the majority who ride the Cycle Tour for fun. CSA have sacrificed the racing cyclists purely because they are greedy.

It is possible but not really practical. We can't expect CSA to supply commisairs and check the route and safety for the race based on the license fees for about 60 riders. CTCT doesn't accommodate the normal age structured licensed groups anyway.

Perhaps we just accept that it's a fun ride and anyone that takes out a racing license should just leave the thing alone. What I see is some of us like the racing aspect and we train and do our sad little best to be racers just for the sheer fun of it. Well that's me anyway. Loads of people just aim for a single day out and do the CTCT and these groups are different. For one its a competitive sport like any other sport but for most it's not like that. The PPA seems to do well with the one group but for the people who see it as a year round sport the CSA is better.

Imagine the funding CSA could do with all the licence funds collected from CTCT entrants. . Imagine that they could even cover costs for our guys going to worlds or olympics, or even actually start developing youth programs. [emoji12]

PPA actually has no bone in this fight. All PPA did was get a judge to rule on the validity of CSA insisting they have to sanction every funride in the country.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour is owned and organised by the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, not PPA.

Imagine the funding CSA could do with all the licence funds collected from CTCT entrants. . Imagine that they could even cover costs for our guys going to worlds or olympics, or even actually start developing youth programs. [emoji12]

Imagine.

But their financial statements show a different reality. Have you ever looked at, historically, where they prioritise their spending?

Isn't part of the problem the fact that people don't trust their spending?

I do not believe it is bullying, all races should be regulated, there is always major risk for injury and accidents in cycling, certain standards must be upheld. CSA does the regulation. This is not a CTCT, PPA issue. It is a UCI issue, CSA must enforce the UCI rules. 

Sorry dude.

Except for the kwaai tannie checking if I PAID my license and the kwaai tannie checking if my number is on my back, they NOTHING to do with safety or standards.  Not in any race I have done in the past 5 years. 

If CSA 'enforce' the UCI rules, why were there so many rules broken at SA's?  Riders with "metamorphic exemption" that has no measurement basis what so ever.  Illegal aerobars and frames.  Etc. etc. 

Basically 90% of the licensed riders in SA has bikes below 6.8kg

I can go all day long.....

CSA enforces rules where the want to and when it suits them best.

With the CTCT......they enforce it because they cannot make money out of it.

And they are NOT going to make me stop riding the CTCT.  I'll get an old chip, take out all the *$($# inside so that nothing gets picked up.....or even better....I'll buy a chip and register it to "CSA can kiss my ass" and fall in at the back and ride the damn thing.

Imagine.

But their financial statements show a different reality. Have you ever looked at, historically, where they prioritise their spending?

One thing is certain, and that is that they are not helping the promising talent to compete internationally. It is deplorable that one Hubber has the means to send Maroesjka Matthee to compete internationally and CSA does not. 

CSA is the South African representative of cycling to UCI, NOT the PPA. CSA has to comply to UCI regulations, otherwise we can kiss any of your cyclists changes to compete internationally good bye. This is got actually NOTHING to do with the Cycle Tour and CSA vs PPA, it is an internationally enforced rule that was suspended for 2 years under Cycling USA pressure. 

It is very easy for CSA to enforce this rule, there is such a thing as a licenced rider database, does not take too much to compare the two and enforce the ban. 

My personal opinion: 

The cycle tour is a fun ride, no racing, no licensed riders. It was started to highlight cycling safety, I believe it is still a very relevant message that needs to get out there, but racing it, I believe that era has passed quite a while ago. FUN Rider, FUN RIDER EVENT. No place for racing snakes, would love that the PPA fall under CSA again (excluding their trust fund, which is not used for the benefit of event WP cycling, IMO), because CSA is the only legitimate representative of cycling at UCI level.

The CTCT is NOT a fun ride.

It was once part of the Giro del Capo that hosted MANY international teams and riders.

If that is not RACING then I don't know.  Maybe you are more knowledgeable......

As for "internationally enforced rule".......ja ja....

CSA and PPA are in court battles and you think it has nothing to do with it???  HAHAHAHHAHHAH.

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Like previously stated.....they (CSA) has an option to "acknowledge" the racing part of the CTCT only and take money from that ONLY.  But they don't WANT to.  Greedy much????

I suppose we shouldn't be amazed by this.......general SA cockup in the making again!

Well done CSA. 

Imagine.

It's exactly why I said Imagine.. perhaps I should have said.. in a perfect would they could...

I do not believe it is bullying, all races should be regulated, there is always major risk for injury and accidents in cycling, certain standards must be upheld. CSA does the regulation. .

With respect, but that is just nonsense.

Of course there is a risk of injury and accidents in cycling, I face that every day I ride my bicycle. I do so without CSA regulation or maintainable of standards.

My license fee is tax, plan and simple. Neither I, nor the organiser of the "race" receive anything of value for it.