Site announcement: Forum Restructuring

Matt

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken. 1000 post count rule is in effect and it has served me well to date.

Problem is that you can rack up a few hundred/thousand posts by copying and pasting a few pics on a thread or two and before you know it you are deemed to be a "senior member" without really having contributed too much... Actually typing a response is a better measure. As has been seen before, your reputation here can be summed up pretty quickly by the quality of the garbage that is spewed forth from your lipsfingers...

As an upstanding member who supports lbs and reads more than he shoots his mouth off I will take years to get to 1000 posts .

But I respect your rule so please don't buy that bargain I have discounted to below cost as I need to move it before my wife sees dbl carbon duallies

What are the chances that the classifieds can also be filtered according to post count for those that want to employ this means of self checking against participation Matt?

That way the individual community members who want to implement this on their own have an effective method of browsing the classifieds and the hub as a whole maintains the status quo for members who would prefer to only use the classified sections for both buying and selling??

Edited by Tubehunter

Always good to restructure if necessary.

"The Bike Room" is a bit of an amorphous name though. 

Edited by SAGecko

Is the hub actively seeking to stifle (or reduce) comments that are critical?  

Rants have historically focussed on bad service, and for the most part, have made it onto the hub where the aggrieved party was not able to get a meaningful response form the shop owners.  Name and shame tactic.

Other rants focussed on objectionable cyclist behaviour, bringing the sport into disrepute, or being of a dangerous nature.  

There were also many other topics that swanned through this illustrious forum.

If people want to post about these things, where should they do so, or are you trying to cut this out generally? 

Rants have historically focussed on bad service, and for the most part, have made it onto the hub where the aggrieved party was not able to get a meaningful response form the shop owners.  Name and shame tactic.

Other rants focussed on objectionable cyclist behaviour, bringing the sport into disrepute, or being of a dangerous nature.  

If people want to post about these things, where should they do so, or are you trying to cut this out generally? 

IMO... it would be better to have a Rant n Rave thread and a Bedroom Bike room thread.

Genuine rant n rave topics go into / stay in the rant n rave section.

I don't know about stifling but there is a definite attempt to reduce / hide the daily "chit chat" not relevant to cycling topics

Not an attempt to stifle at all, just to better organise topics generally. Perhaps the bit referencing (in bold below) this was lost in amongst the lengthy post. 

In the short term though we're changing existing forum structure to better align with the long term goal. The current Rant ’n Rave forum will fall away. This doesn't mean we're disallowing rants or raves though, we're just requesting that they are channeled via the appropriate forum. E.g. event feedback would be placed in the Events forum, Bike shop feedback in Bike Shops & Services, etc. This will provide better organisation and grouping of topics and serves as a step in the direction of the longer term goal.

As you've pointed out though there are potential gaps in the current forum structure in terms accommodating the different types of rant or rave within the other forums. The common bike shop, service or event related topics are well covered, but things like cyclist behavior perhaps not at present.

Suggestions are welcome.

Always good to restructure if necessary.

"The Bike Room" is a bit of an amorphous name though. 

Agreed it is and suggestions are welcome for a better name.

With Rants and Raves moving to their relevant forums the theme of "The Bike Room" is somewhat muddy. The intent is that this would be a place for new members to introduce themselves and any chatter related to bikes, but not fitting in elsewhere. Although ideally the forum structure should cater for most if not all bike related discussion.

As I've said please give your input on where we can add to or improve the structure, even if just a better name / description for some.

Don't know if you okes have seen the movie "The Purge" (check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purge#Plot). In short, people can blixem, kill, maim, assault, and generally moer each other 1 day in the year, and, as the plot goes, this serves to make them better citizens for the rest of the year.

So, how about a forum that opens first thing (and only) on a Friday (Let's call it "Friday Fight Club"), to provide a walled-off piece of real estate to satisfy the urges and evil compunctions of hubbers to slug it out on any old blerry topic, only to close it at say 18h00, and delete the whole thing.  If people want to revive a topic form the previous week's fight club, they have to start again.  Most will be too lazy.  The list of obvious topics for this are reasonably predicable, and once hashed out, or even rehashed, most likely will not make an appearance on "real" forums.  Oldsters are happy.  Newbies are not scarred for life.  Mods can have a peaceful friday.  EVERYONE wins!!

Just a thought

[edit: point of clarification]

Edited by MTB-BFK

Don't know if you okes have seen the movie "The Purge" (check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purge#Plot). In short, people can blixem, kill, maim, assault, and generally moer each other 1 day in the year, and, as the plot goes, this serves to make them better citizens for the rest of the year.

So, how about a forum that opens first thing (and only) on a Friday (Let's call it "Friday Fight Club"), to provide a walled-off piece of real estate to satisfy the urges and evil compunctions of hubbers to slug it out on any old blerry topic, only to close it at say 18h00, and delete the whole thing.  If people want to revive a topic form the previous week's fight club, they have to start again.  Most will be too lazy.  The list of obvious topics for this are reasonably predicable, and once hashed out, or even rehashed, most likely will not make an appearance on "real" forums.  Oldsters are happy.  Newbies are not scarred for life.  Mods can have a peaceful friday.  EVERYONE wins!!

Just a thought

[edit: point of clarification]

Just call it Fight Club, drop the Friday as that concept already failed

I posted a tribute to a much loved and suddenly deceased  local Cycling personality (who also had a bike shop) last week in R 'n R. I see it ended up under bike shops or some such. I would have thought that the Bike Room would have been the appropriate forum. 

I'm sure there was talk of a LIKE/DISLIKE button.

What if the person's status as a member is reviewed based on the number of DISLIKE hits they receive? Instead of flaming someone for something they said - you only have to DISLIKE the comment. The ratio of LIKES vs DISLIKES will give an impression of the person's general attitude towards others.

An alternative would be a demerit system - suspended after X number of DISLIKES and banned once above a certain level. LIKES have no bearing on the demerit system.

My 2c worth